Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:05:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingCould you help me with English for my Gamasutra article?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Could you help me with English for my Gamasutra article?  (Read 1288 times)
IMBizMan316
Level 0

A member of the notorious Korean cult, Fakedice

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2016, 11:21:09 PM »

Hey guys,

My name is Mike, and I'm working on a game called Dicetiny currently available on Steam Early Access.  It's a CCG and board game mash-up.

I was wondering if you guys could help me with this.  I just finished writing my first ever Gamasutra blog article but I suspect that there must be some wonky English here and there since I'm Korean and my English is less than perfect.

If you guys could proofread it and let me know if there's any grammar mistake or unnatural expression, It would be really great.  Also feel free to let me know your thoughts on the article. =)

Here's a link to the google document, If you're interested, you can leave a comment here or on the actual document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m74joHypWYZEZZGXAxPcGJTyeqREmJw9K2vvLBPpzCU/edit  

Cheers guys! (Hope this is the right place to post this.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:55:31 PM by IMBizMan316 » Logged

The game I'm working on -> Dicetiny on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318090
Necdilzor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »

Hey there! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm going to give you a hand Smiley

First of all, great read and great English! I've seen games fall under a wave of negative feedback because bugs are not patched fast enough. Developers like Beamdog are having a tough time providing hotfixes and even though the bugs get fixed, eventually, the fans have to wait a lot (some months, yeah). Also, the demo is a good point. You need to own the game on Steam to write a review (right?) so if you play the demo and don't like it you will not buy the game and you will not write a bad review (not in your Steam game's page at least).

I'm not from an English speaking country so I hope someone else can comment on my suggestions for your article. I think you only have a typo and a couple of small errors Smiley

"Hey, long time no talk!" -> under this title, the first line of the paragraph says "at asmall dinner" but should say -> "at a small dinner"

Maybe the first sentence under the title "The Shock" could be written differently, it sounds a bit odd to me.

Instead of writing "The first time I saw the Subterain's review score" shouldn't it be "The first time I saw Subterain's review score"? I think you wrote it like this a couple of times (remove the "the" before "Subterain's").

"Pixellore is practically an one-man studio" -> "Pixellore is practically a one-man studio"

"play the demo in stead of saving" -> "play the demo instead of saving"

Hope this helps!! Smiley

EDIT: Your game's trailer made me laugh, I'll keep it on my radar Wink
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:53:51 PM by Necdilzor » Logged
IMBizMan316
Level 0

A member of the notorious Korean cult, Fakedice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:35:15 AM »

Hey there! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm going to give you a hand Smiley

First of all, great read and great English! I've seen games fall under a wave of negative feedback because bugs are not patched fast enough. Developers like Beamdog are having a tough time providing hotfixes and even though the bugs get fixed, eventually, the fans have to wait a lot (some months, yeah). Also, the demo is a good point. You need to own the game on Steam to write a review (right?) so if you play the demo and don't like it you will not buy the game and you will not write a bad review (not in your Steam game's page at least).

I'm not from an English speaking country so I hope someone else can comment on my suggestions for your article. I think you only have a typo and a couple of small errors Smiley

"Hey, long time no talk!" -> under this title, the first line of the paragraph says "at asmall dinner" but should say -> "at a small dinner"

Maybe the first sentence under the title "The Shock" could be written differently, it sounds a bit odd to me.

Instead of writing "The first time I saw the Subterain's review score" shouldn't it be "The first time I saw Subterain's review score"? I think you wrote it like this a couple of times (remove the "the" before "Subterain's").

"Pixellore is practically an one-man studio" -> "Pixellore is practically a one-man studio"

"play the demo in stead of saving" -> "play the demo instead of saving"

Hope this helps!! Smiley

EDIT: Your game's trailer made me laugh, I'll keep it on my radar Wink

Oh wow, thank you so much!  Sorry about the late reply btw.  I thought no one was interested so I twitted for help and luckily I found someone willing to help. =)  Actually I submitted it for review on Gamasutra today morning.  My fingers are crossed that it will be featured on the front page, hehe.  Or not.  Regardless, I think this is a good experience for me, and I'm planning to write more in the future.  

Happy to hear that it made you laugh, haha.  I'm thinking about making a new one though because it got many dislikes on Youtube Here: 

I'm not sure why but I'm guessing maybe we tried to be too funny and the Unreal engine logo at the beginning make people expect a game with great graphics, not some 2D board game.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:37:14 AM by IMBizMan316 » Logged

The game I'm working on -> Dicetiny on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/318090
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic