Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:50:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRuin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ruin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)  (Read 8055 times)
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »

Hey all, I tried to post about this earlier but I think I did a bad job so here it goes one more time.

Ruin of the Reckless

Ruin of the Reckless is an action Rogue-lite with a push your luck element.  Each floor has a limited amount of time before the 'ghost-patrol' shows up, unless you play very fast and loose (which is dangerous), you will be forced off of each floor earlier than you would like.  You'll be trying to grab as much stuff as you can before escaping to the next floor.  The game is about quick decisions, fast play, and... it's a twin stick shooter but with a focus on melee attacks.  Ranged attacks are usually more expensive or come with a disadvantage of some kind.

Every thing is about risk management, and we try to make sure that players always have a reason to push harder and put themselves in more dangerous situations.  That way, as you get better at the game, the early floors become more interesting as you try to squeeze as much resources out of them as possible. For example, the more recklessly you play, the more options you will get when you level up.

Website
www.ruinofthereckless.com
Twitter: @FauxOperative

DevBlog

www.ruinofthereckless.com/blog

Genre
Rogue-like, rogue-lite, Action, fantasy

Single or Multiplayer
RotR is single player, 2 player co-op, and will have a 3/4 player versus mode as well.

Developer
Faux-Operative Games

Team

Charles Webb and Daniel Crockenberg.  We have been making games since we met, but started making board games.  We both studied programming in college but kinda fell out of interest with it.  Later, we decided to jump back in and started making digital games, but nothing we were interested in showing off until now.

Platforms:
Windows, but since we are using Game Maker we can 'relatively' easily port to other OSs eventually.

Projected Release Date:
Quarter 4 2016

We're working on a new trailer right now... but here are some screenshots from development.

You may recognize art by John Sandoval.  He's an editor here, I think.  We really enjoyed working with him but he is no longer attached to the project.  We are still on the lookout for sprite artists who think they can match his art style so let me know if you think you know someone.

Golem Attacks

Rat Gets Hit GIF

Spellbook

Player Walk Cycle

Bouncing Slime

Rat Running GIF

Rat Pain

Dead Rat

Pain Slime

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:12:39 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »

Interesting sounding twist! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Making high risk moves come with high rewards sounds like good fun as long as it's balanced well! Art is lovely too.

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

These are cross posts from our devlog over at www.ruinofthereckless.com/blog

I didn't see any thing about crossposting in the forum rules, so if this is against the rules someone please let me know.

I posted this article in an earlier thread so i'll just link it.  It is about the proposed animation method for golem enemies and a bit on state machines:

http://ruinofthereckless.com/ruin-of-the-reckless-post-1-of-state-machines-and-golems/

Ruin of the Reckless # 2 – Golem Animations Demystified

Alright, so let’s talk about the golem again. The first thing i want to do is just briefly discuss my original attempt at this problem which I scrapped. Then i’ll talk about the solution I came up with, and show off the result (which I am quite pleased with.)

So when I first attacked this problem, my thought process was that the easiest way to animate this enemy would be to assign each limb x/y values relative to the golem itself, and then use lerp functions to ease these values from position to position. It worked, and it looked good. Unfortunately it was very labor intensive, and since the pieces were each lerping independently of one another, if something got misplaced or ended up in the wrong spot… the system had no way to fix that. Basically, it just wasn’t conducive to building good looking animations at all, and caused a number of unsightly errors.

I realized the following;
1) The golem animations needed to be more controlled, I had to be able to know where each piece would be at all times.
2) the sprites that each piece would choose needs to be determined during the draw based on its location.
3) I need a way to ‘gate’ pieces of an animation to coordinate them together so that it always looks like one cohesive whole, not individual pieces moving independently.

Each piece now contains a default x/y value that is an offset of the golem. For instance, the ‘close’ shoulder, when my internal code places it at 0/0, is actually sitting at an offset of -40, 7, or some other number in relation to the golem itself.

Each state for the golem is tied to animation, and each animation is just a collection of movement coordinates for each piece tied to an easing algorithm: http://easings.net so, I can now say to my shoulders, ‘hey, move 25 to the left, and 10 up’, from wherever you would ‘normally’ be (and this makes it very easy to conceptualize where that would be.) And do it using an EaseInBack easing algorithm that creates a snappy motion to the animation.

Then I can actually check and see if each movement is complete before I engage the next stage of the animation (while still remaining in the same state). From there, it’s just a matter of tweaking those instructions until I find the desired result.

For a little extra flourish, we decided that the hands should always click in to place a couple frames ‘after’ the shoulders, to simulate secondary movement.

Did it work? What do you think?

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »

Ruin of the Reckless # 3 – The Leveluppening – Part I (crosspost from www.ruinofthereckless.com/blog)

This is a long one, so I’ll put it in two parts.

What is the ideal way to ‘get stronger’ in an action rogue-lite.  This is something I have been thinking about because it is directly relevant to Ruin of the Reckless. Let’s investigate/elaborate.

First let’s talk about possible pitfalls of a level up system. Traditionally, in RPG’s these days characters tend to level up through some kind of skill tree. Abilities lead to each other in a chain, and over the course of a long campaign, they stack up; creating a satisfying build to a god-like conclusion.

A typical skill tree in its natural habitat (Diablo II)

But for a rogue-like, this is a very dangerous system to implement. Players have to start over a lot in a rogue-like, so if they find a ‘good’ build, they may start to use that optimal build every time they play. Pretty soon, the game has almost no variety in the early stages and, since players have to play through those initial levels often in a rogue-like, they get bored.

Perhaps they would have more ‘fun’ if they experimented a bit, but Rogue-likes are punishing and difficult, who wants to do something sub-optimal and lose a good chance at winning the game for probably the first time in many attempts?

This led us to believe that a level up system of this nature was completely unsuited for a rogue-like. That’s why the original level up system for Ruin of the Reckless was entirely item based (also as a nod to Zelda), there were no level ups, just four different item slots that could be powered up… and it worked reasonably well.

Unfortunately, in an entirely item based system, it is much harder to get players the unique abilities that they crave. Stacking buffs like ‘vampiric attacks’ on items… requires us to let the player know what that item does, and that requires text… and time… and it won’t be immediately clear which weapon does what. It’s interesting, but it’s slow and confusing, especially if you don’t have an equipment screen to reference. This is the reason, I believe, that Nuclear Throne doesn’t have any ‘prefix/suffix’ style abilities on any items. Each item does ‘one’ thing, that’s convenient!

Just an average, every day, mega lazer cannon here. No suffix/prefix tags in sight. (Nuclear Throne)

So as we were having this realization, our primary artist at the time (The very talented John Sandoval) started to suggest that a really elaborate level up screen would look really good and give him a chance to show off some neat UI. At first, we were against the idea… but then we played Vagante, another action rogue like (although it is much slower paced than RotR.)

This is literally the only screenshot I could even find of the Vagante level up screen. (Vagante)

Vagante uses a ‘traditional’ level up system.  Based on what I said before, this shouldn’t work… But, surprisingly… the level up system is actually pretty fun… and it definitely works.

Why? Well I think it helps that Vagante has distinct separate classes with their own skill trees… and also that there is a tremendous amount of variety to the items… and also that the items carry more of the ‘extreme’ abilities whereas the character abilities tend to be less impactful special moves or stat bonuses. It also probably helps that the game is slow… you can sit around, take your time, figure out what you want to equip where and which items/abilities to invest in.

So, perhaps against our better judgement, we decided to give it a try. We decided to put the screen ‘between’ floors, and let players really take their time and look over their options. To our surprise it worked. It was fun… and it was interesting. And there really was enough variety to the weapons to support the system. So we went to work, we expanded it, we built a branching level up tree. We spent a lot of time on UI and tried to get it looking and feeling really great, we planned classes to interact with it, and with the help of our excellent artist we came up with this interface. If you ask me… it looks pretty good.

A part of Ruin of the Reckless most of you will never see outside of this screenshot. (Ruin of the Reckless)

But as we played the game more I started to notice some problems with the system. Firstly, it was just confusing for new players. Players would get to this screen and just ‘full stop’. What is this thing? What is that thing? Where did I get SP from, what is SP for? Why are some abilities red and some abilities are green, etc…

That alone wasn’t a huge deal… but other issues started cropping up. Players tended to get to this screen and already know what they wanted, even if they were doing something new, they knew what that thing was – so it basically just became an inconvenience for experienced players to scroll around and click on stuff. And then balance issues started to arise over time… if you received certain items, like a mana regen item… you would probably just pour all of your points in to spells. If you found a good weapon, you would probably just grab some weapon abilities. As we played more, the decisions felt more and more obvious.

For experienced players, it was an obvious inconvenience, for new players… it was confusing… so who was this system really for? If I am being honest, I think we built this system for the wrong reasons. Maybe for marketing appeal, or maybe to satisfy our very ambitious and talented artist… In the end, I think it was the wrong decision. So we’re scrapping this system and coming up with something new.

So what do other people do about this problem?

Well in action rogue-likes, there really is a gold standard system that is used most of the time. And it’s quite simple. When a player levels up, offer them 3 random bonuses. Let them choose one. That’s it. Nuclear Throne is probably the most famous example of this idea, but a lot of other games have followed suit, notably the excellent Downwell.

Pretty much always, one ability is ‘choose from 4 abilities from now on’ and another is ‘gain some bonus HP’ (Downwell)

Alright, this system works. It fits all of our goals. It is easy to understand, prompts real decisions, creates interesting game play between runs and doesn’t break up the pace of the game very much. We can see why it is used, and also we can see that it is used in the biggest dogs in the genre.

Unfortunately, we don’t really ‘love’ this system either. No disrespect to these guys, they are real pros, but the system is just a bit flat. We think it could be more interesting, and we have a few ideas on how to do it. Not only that, but we have to keep in mind that people will always draw comparisons. Is it ‘okay’ to roll out a level system that is essentially identical to our predecessors? In a way, isn’t it a disservice to the players if we do not try to innovate and improve?

We’re going back to the lab to figure this out, but I am interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. Does any one have any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on the system? How do you want to level up in an action rogue-like?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:23:21 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:19:39 PM »

Ruin of the Reckless #4 - The leveluppening - Part II

Hello again friends! Today we are going to talk a bit about the philosophy behind Ruin of the Reckless, and then we will discuss how that philosophy impacts our solution to the 'leveling up' issue that we talked about in the last article.

So, when it came to solving the issue I came back to a talk by Rami Ismail where he discusses the theming of games and how they stress those themes in their design.

A game I don't personally enjoy, but which every designer should respect. (Fez)

I can't track down the video, but the example Rami used was 'Fez'; specifically how early in the game you encounter a 2D world, as you progress it transitions to 3D, and then the game starts exploring concepts of 4D movement. For the player, it's a good design because as they learn about the world it gets more complex... ( and more interesting) but here's the real trick; As you progress in the game, you are exploring a society's progression through time, the history of man kind as a primordial (2 dimensional race) it's an allegory, an involved metaphor. Fez is trying to tell us where we came from.

Any one who has seen the stellar ending to Braid knows that its mechanics match its theming.

That's a neat trick, and no mean feat to co-ordinate the thematic direction of a game and the mechanics so directly.

So I guess the question is, what does any of this have to do with leveling up in an action rogue-lite game like Ruin of the Reckless?

Well first, let's ask what our theme is? In Ruin of the Reckless, the player plays as a displaced spirit, lost between worlds. After dying foolishly due to his own ego, he finds himself in a place where the strongest spirits are those that died in the most reckless ways... whether they died through foolish bravado or courageous self-sacrifice... they all end up here, and they have to play by the tower's rules.

What is 'really' going on inside that tower...?

So that's the theme of our game, and this mechanic of 'foolish recklessness bringing reward or punishment' is the central mechanic of the game. We encourage our players to take risks, and those risks are the key to gaining power. For example, staying on one floor too long to collect extra items will bring 'ghost' type enemies in. The longer you stay, the more that will come. But perhaps there's something very important you want to recover before you get chased out...

So when we sat down to tackle this question about leveling up, we wanted to choose a solution that both improved on our predecessors and also expressed the theme. We also wanted a solution that could add a lot of variety to early levels.

Enter The Skill Orb

A skillorb in its... natural... habitat

This is a skill-orb. Three will spawn on every floor of the dungeon. They take about a half second to consume, and during that time you are vulnerable. Once you do consume it, though, you will gain a permanent new ability. This orb is an orb of scavenging, and it adds extra gold drops to enemies.

There are a few catches though. Most importantly, skill orbs are fragile. Enemies won't prioritize them to attack, but they will try to attack you and if any thing hits a skill orb at all, be it you or an enemy, it will rocket off and explode. That means that you may never get to see the ability it would have granted, and it definitely means you will have fewer choices when you level up.

Another catch, you can only equip one skill orb each time you level up. Choose carefully.

Also, as mentioned, the orbs explode when they are destroyed. Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki once said that in any good game 'miracles can happen.' What will players call it when an orb rockets over from off screen and saves their life? I hope they are pretty happy about it.

We are also really happy with the way this influences players decision-making. Whereas in other games the player says "Hmm... here are three abilities, which one is the best" and then takes it... Ruin of the Reckless is asking players to make a much more complex decision.

1) Do you carefully cut through the tower protecting the orbs, avoiding fighting near them, so that you always have the maximum number of choices when you level?
2) Do you use the orbs aggressively as a weapon, taking advantage of the fact that they explode to make short work of enemies?
3) Do you check each orb early on each floor, try to figure out which one you want, and do every thing you can to protect 'that' orb?
4) Do you skip the orbs on this floor and hope you have better luck next floor (knowing, that on the next floor you might not be able to protect the orbs you want any way.)

You can also buy skill orbs in the shop, or at the beginning of the game when you pick out your starting equipment,d ecisions... decisions...

Players get excited when they find the orb they want to complete their build... and crushed when they realize they let it get destroyed by a slime. Another thing is that the orbs stack; allowing for lots of different early game combinations that feel really different... and since the game gets harder as you progress... it gets harder to pick up the 'ideal' orb as you progress too.
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »

Have a new blog post up:

Ruin of the Reckless #5 – Silhouettes in Game Maker

Hello friends.  Today we are going to be doing something a little bit different.

Quite a few people have contacted me asking about the silhouette system that I mentioned in our first blog post. This system allows players to see their character even when they are ‘behind’ a wall or other obstructing tile. Early on, we knew that this effect would be necessary for Ruin of the Reckless. We also knew that it was possible in Game Maker because we had already seen it accomplished by Hyper Light Drifter. For any one interested in reproducing this effect themselves, Julian Adams has graciously provided an example .gmz for you to investigate :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc208kxcq4eguuk/RotR%20_%20Juju%20-%20three-quarters%20silhouette.gmz?dl=0

(provided by Julian Adams under the MIT License https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)

Hyper Light Drifter uses a similar silhouette system.  Don’t ask me what their method is though! – Hyper Light Drifte.

We had found several methods to handle this but none of them did every thing we needed.  Either they didn’t work in randomly generated environments, or they couldn’t handle different colored silhouettes, or they had some other deficiency that made them unsuitable.

Luckily, we found Julian Adams (also known as  ‘Juju’) from the game maker community.  This guy is an amazing programmer, and a great person, and his solution to this complicated problem is quite brilliant. Being the creator, we asked him to write a guest article about his implementation, and he obliged… so without further ado… Julian Adams on top down silhouettes.
—-

There are a number of solutions to the silhouette problem that have been tried over the years. The most obvious is simply to prevent objects from ever going behind walls to a position where they are not visible. This is very effective – it’s cheap and requires no additional effort – but it compromises the authenticity of the environment. A Link To The Past uses this method an unusual way; employing a warped perspective to show the the front, the sides, and the back of obstacles in the world; this, unfortunately, locks the graphical style into a cartoony, surreal design.

RTS games pursue a more direct visual solution. Thanks to greater processing power available around the late 90s, they could now show units moving behind obstructing features without compromising the artistic expression of the environment.

Here’s a small example of our system in action. – Ruin of the Reckless

When the developers of Ruin of the Reckless contacted me, I was already interested in solving ‘the silhouette problem.’ We discussed different methods for displaying silhouettes in a orthographic/iosometric perspective.

1. The silhouette system needs to work in very large rooms, on the order of 5,000×5,000 pixels, lined with walls and obstacles.

2. The silhouette system needs to have minimal impact on the frame rate. They’ve spent a lot of time making their levels full of content.

3. The silhouette system should be pixel-perfect and support static tiles and animated objects. A wrought iron gate should only silhouette the specific parts of objects covered by the fence and not the holes.

4. The silhouette system should work with their object-based visual effects. The silhouette system should require as few parallel variables as possible.

5. The silhouette system should not mess with the depth and draw order system (using the ever-popular “depth = -y;” method). Silhouettes should obey this draw ordering.

6. The silhouette system should support different coloured silhouettes for different types of object (orange for enemies, blue for the player, green for items etc).

7. The silhouette system must be implemented in procedural, randomly generated environments.

—-

There are a number of pre-existing systems that have been described in GameMaker. Here is a relatively well known and popular solution:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=675243

This silhouetting approach work as follows: Every frame, “occluders” are drawn to a surface, but only if they are below the player. The player’s sprite (an “actor”) has its pixel data forced to a particular silhouette colour and is then drawn to this surface. This drawing operation is special – it doesn’t change the transparency of the surface data, only the colour data. This means wherever a player pixel and an occluder pixel cross over, a silhouette colour is drawn to the surface.

This has a number of deficiencies – firstly, it requires constantly drawing and redrawing tiles to the screen any time the view or player moves. This is hugely wasteful of resources. Secondly, it only supports one actor at a time – the player. Whilst the example provided with this method only includes support for tiles, adding objects to the mix isn’t hard.

Here is another solution, designed by HeartBeast:

This solution works somewhat differently and is, in some ways, much cruder. Every frame, a surface is cleared black. The player is then drawn to this surface in a pure white colour, maintaining transparency, but not colour information. Occluders are then drawn at alpha=0.5 and pure black to this surface. This means any pixels that share a player and occluder pixel have a colour of #7F7F7F or, to us mere morals, “grey”. The surface is drawn to the screen using a shader that only draws pixels that are grey.

This application is also flawed, though in a different manner. This method requires redrawing to the screen every frame, due to drawing the player to the masking surface. Whilst this creates a somewhat accurate end result, this method fudges a lot of the fine detail through the use of an approximate inequality in the shader. Edge cases can also break – if an occluder has a low alpha (highly transparent) or many occluders overlap in once place. Most of all, built explicitly for a 2D side-on perspective, it cannot express three-quarters/isometric perspective at all. Unlike the previous example, however, it can support multiple actors although only with one colour of silhouette.

A peak at the occluder surface, and how it uses the red channel to resolve silhouette information. Note that each occluder is rgb 0,0, 0,at the bottom and the red channel creeps up to 255 pixel by pixel – Ruin of the Reckless

This red channel information represents the distance from any given pixel to the very bottom of that particular occluder. When we want to draw a silhouette, we sample from this masking surface and compare the y-position of the actor being drawn to the colour of the pixel on the masking surface. If the masking pixel is in front of the actor, we know that particular pixel (for the actor) is being occluded. Since we’re sampling the mask surface per actor rather than in one big lump, we can change what the silhouette colour is per actor. This is all done in a shader. Any object for any reason can be drawn as a silhouette with no more than a few extra lines of code.

The actual mechanics of how this is done uses GM’s native depth order and requires each actor to be drawn twice – once for the normal sprite, once for the silhouette. The shader is constantly being set and reset. If the specification is partially broken, a custom depth ordering can be used (using a priority queue or equivalent) to batch all the silhouetting significantly increasing the rendering speed. As it stands, however, the system used as per Ruin of the Reckless’ specification produces one silhouetted actor at the same cost as three non-silhouetted actors.

Introducing animated objects as occluders requires the masking surface to be redrawn every step when they’re on the screen. This is unavoidable but, thankfully, the vertex buffer submission is so fast that this has a minor impact on the frame rate. An occlusion object’s positional data can be drawn to the masking surface on the green or blue channel with an additive blend and treated similarly to static occluders.

There are some structural limitations, however. With the current system, occluders can only be a maximum of 256 pixels tall before we run out of room in the red channel to describe the necessary data. This limitation manifests itself mostly as a limit on the actor size (256px). This limit can be lifted through extra work in a shader to express height using additional channels to have heights of up to 2^24 (which is an absurdly high number). Using a single vertex buffer to store all the occluder geometry means that all sprites/tiles stored in that vertex buffer must be on the same texture page. For large games with a large number of tiles and sprites, this is unlikely to be the case; in these cases, you’ll need to use more than one vertex buffer.
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »

Hey again every one,

we are planning on launching to greenlight this Thursday.

We have been contacting people looking to generate a bit of buzz/pres before then, and I think our trailer is actually very good.

I was wondering if any one had any recommendations about how to go about attacking Greenlight best.

Pixelcomet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:18:15 AM »

Props to the artist, this game just looks so good. Also I was having a bit of trouble with your website taking really long to load.

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »

Pixelcomet,

The artist for most of what you see was John Sandoval, who is actually an editor here at tigsource if I am not mistaken. He is indeed very talented and was a pleasure to work with.

Thank you for the heads up about our website, i'll talk to our host about why that might be.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:27:01 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
j-swan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »

Love these graphics, super crisp.
Keep up the good work!!!

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »

Looking gorgeous and really interesting dev posts!
Excited to see more, looks like a game I'd enjoy a lot ^^

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Gamedragon
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:32:30 AM »

Those devlog posts are amazing. I've got no idea how you should handle Greenlight but I wish you the best of luck with it!  Toast Right If you link to it here I'd be happy to vote for you, especially since I really want to play this.
Platforms:
Windows, but since we are using Game Maker we can 'relatively' easily port to other OSs eventually.
And I love you for this.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »

I think I saw your original post once, and then wondered "what happened to that game.." - it's been a while since I've seen it, and things have certainly progressed! Reading through, I like what you've decided on the leveling system. Post your greenlight link here and I'm sure everyone who sees it will share/vote.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:58 AM »

This looks awesome. I love that store keeper.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:41 AM »

Hey again every one,

we are planning on launching to greenlight this Thursday.

We have been contacting people looking to generate a bit of buzz/pres before then, and I think our trailer is actually very good.

I was wondering if any one had any recommendations about how to go about attacking Greenlight best.
That's one part of the recommended approach and can often be enough.  Having a demo can create even more exposure.
Here's someone's Greenlight experience with a few extra tips (e.g. using animated gif for the project image)  https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54019.0

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »

Thank you for all of the kind words and support.  I am glad every one likes the blog so much, I'll be posting articles again soon we have just been SWAMPED making the trailer and getting ready for greenlight + dealing with actual real life people sometimes...

The greenlight will be going up tomorrow, probably pretty early in the morning, i'll post a reminder when it launches.

I'll post the trailer up here as well, but I don't want to reveal it to non-press until the greenlight page is up on Steam.

Thanks io3, for the link.  That is all helpful information.

Also... we put up an indieDB page as well. http://www.indiedb.com/games/ruin-of-the-reckless
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:05:16 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »

Greenlight Launched: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683031395

Trailer here:

Please check us out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:02:22 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

Been meaning to comment on this for a bit; really liking the style and look of the gameplay so far! And rad stuff getting hold of Slime Girls for part of the music; been really liking their recent work so far, too. Just voted, good luck with the Greenlight campaign guys~

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »

PSA Every one... don't build your greenlight page in advance.  If you do, it will not appear under recent submissions and you'll lose some serious traffic. I wish someone had warned me about this!

Thanks for the upvote lizilser!
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »

Ooh; the art looks excellent! You can never go wrong with giant fist weapons.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic