Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:22:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRuin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Ruin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)  (Read 7949 times)
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »

Been meaning to comment on this for a bit; really liking the style and look of the gameplay so far! And rad stuff getting hold of Slime Girls for part of the music; been really liking their recent work so far, too. Just voted, good luck with the Greenlight campaign guys~
Hey again, we had to re-do the whole greenlight page so... if you are still interested, please consider re-upvoting us since yours got lost!

Greenlight Trailer:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683031395
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:51:33 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »

Im not personally fan of Rogue lite but I must admit that his game looks smooth and beautiful.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

This is looking great!   Beer!

elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:46 PM »

Been meaning to comment on this for a bit; really liking the style and look of the gameplay so far! And rad stuff getting hold of Slime Girls for part of the music; been really liking their recent work so far, too. Just voted, good luck with the Greenlight campaign guys~
Hey again, we had to re-do the whole greenlight page so... if you are still interested, please consider re-upvoting us since yours got lost!

No worries, I saw about that on your Twitter and revoted, haha, thank you!

and now I can't stop listening to the Slime Girls track from the trailer heheh

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »

Slime girls is soooo... great.  When we heard Vacation Wasteland we knew that we had to have it, we knew it was perfect. I love that whole album.

We have hit a 78% upvote rate on Steam Greenlight right now, apparently that is really good!  Please send attention to the page, the more eyes we can get right now the better, and thanks again to every one for all of your support.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:44:50 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »

Man, that greenlight trailer is lovely. Really nice slice of game-feel! As others have said, great soundtrack too :D

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »

THanks Peter,

We had an amazing first day on Steam.  We are (edit 72) on Greenlight and just a few hours in to day 2. I think our next blog article will be about what went right and what went wrong, and i'll write it up as soon as we get greenlit, which will hopefully be soon... but we have heard horror stories so I am crossing my fingers.

Thanks to every one who helped out.

Where do people find contacts for this sort of thing? I feel like I have plumbed the depths of the internet and have scarcely come up with 100 legitimate contacts in the press.

And yet some people say they sent 500+ emails on their greenlight launch.  Who writes features on Greenlight?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:51:19 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 06:58:23 PM »

Ruin of the Reckless #6 – What just happened on Steam Greenlight?

Hey again friends,

As I am sure most of you know (well I hope you noticed) we launched a Steam Greenlight campaign on May 12th. The campaign has been a big success so far, we broke in to the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight at around 24 hours.  Since then, we have climbed higher. At the time of this writing…  I’d say we’re doing pretty well for day 3.

Greenlight is notorious for stonewalling developers, so we’ll have to see what *actually* happens after this but I wanted to take some time to talk about the plan we had to make this work, what went right, what went wrong, and where it looks like things are going. The campaign is, of course, still going on, so please vote for us on Greenlight and tell your friends.

GreenlightPage: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683031395

Our Greenlight Trailer:

The Setup

(Well the first thing we did was build the game, and then we made what I think is a really kickass trailer, but let’s skip that part.)

We always knew that we had to go to steam Greenlight eventually, but to do that you need at least some following.  Steam Greenlight is about generating traffic in the first two or three days.  From there,  (where we are now), organic greenlight traffic drops significantly and it becomes very hard to drum up page views without press!

We knew we only had a set amount of attention we could devote to social media, and that we needed as many eyes on our project as possible in the lead up to the greenlight launch.  We decided (A bit too late, perhaps) on pursuing the following communities.

Twitter -> We began posting tweets on our feed about the game.  The most effective thing for garnering attention by FAR has been animated GIFs of cool moments in the game.  GIFs that show off beautiful artwork or action packed ‘game feel’ moments seem to perform best.

reddit.com/r/gamemaker -> This one was easy to focus on because I was already an active member of the community (under my personal reddit account.) I transitioned to posts on r/gamemaker on my ‘corporate’ reddit account that focused mainly on Ruin of the Reckless. We made sure that every thing we posted was useful to gamemaker developers and we worked closely with the mods to make sure that we weren’t breaking any rules

Our Blog/ruinofthereckless.com ->
We started updates on this blog.  I really tried my best to make the posts high quality and useful, and shared them wherever I could.  Several people have told me that they were following along quite a while on this blog before they every commented on any thing, so  don’t despair if you’re not getting comments.  People may be watching in the wings!

This dev blog(Tigsource) -> We started a devblog on tigsource, which was easy because we crossposted our blog posts from our website to the tigsource thread here.

Fantasystrike.com -> I am a longtime member of fantasystrike.com, which is a smaller forum focused on game design. I already had a presence there, so it was natural to be posting updates to my friends on there.

Crap, that’s a lot of communities.  Working on the game was already a full time job, but trying to be active on all of these channels in the lead up to the Greenlight (while we were still working on the trailer)  was intense.  Nobodys said this was supposed to be easy.

Our first blog post was on Marth 28th, so we had about 42 days of ‘social media preparation’ for the Greenlight. When we launched, we had about 130 twitter followers (now closer to 200) and an established presence in each of the listed sites, a mailing list, with 40 some-odd subscribers and a website.  I wish we had started earlier and gotten more momentum first. but all things considered, it worked well.

We did not spend a dollar on advertising, we would have certainly been willing to, but we couldn’t find a deal/service that made sense to us… and we didn’t really know whether to believe the saying among indie devs that a small amount of advertising has little to no effect.

I also took some time to research other greenlight campaigns and thoughts from other developers, the most useful of which was a post-morrtem by Unfold Games for a successful Greenlight pitch called DARQ

As recommended by Unfold Games, we made a snappy animated GIF for our Greenlight header.

The Plan

Based on talking to other developers, we decided to launch on Thursday; supposedly that is the day where most people come home from work and want to relax at home.  It was the best lead we had, so we went with it.

We would wait until Monday and send out press releases to every indie gaming news resource we could find, letting them know that our Greenlight was launching on Thursday and giving them the trailer.  I have seen other indies say they sent out upwards of 400 e-mails.  I don’t know where they’re finding all of these people, I was scarcely able to find 100 news sources that were willing to cover a Greenlight launch, but we would contact every single one.  In retrospect, I wish I had started compiling a list of sources MUCH earlier.

Once the press releases were sent, it would be time to go to our mailing list subscribers,  our twitter followers, the forums we were part of and reddit to let people know.  Hopefully they would respond, because we knew we would need their help for it to work.

I also had a feeling a few of my more high profile indy-dev friends might lend our campaign a hand by retweeting us to their massive fanbases.

One of the GIFs we sent out on twitter to promote the launch.

What Went Right

— Launching on Thursday -> Launching on Thursday seems to have been a very smart decision.  Only one title that launched on Wednesday is still above us, and several very high performing titles also launched on Thursday, leading me to believe that it probably gave us a natural advantage.

— Our Animated GIF came out  really well, and our organic traffic numbers were high, I believe that our cool animated GIF brought extra views to the page.

— Our trailer killed it.  We had worked very carefully to make our trailer as engaging as possible,we demoed it to dozens of industry insiders to get feedback before launch. I think it paid off.  The trailer was quick, snappy, had only 5 seconds of title screen time (DO NOT PUT A 13 second intro in your Greenlight video people.) And the average user actually stayed to watch almost the whole thing (which is quite abnormal.)

— Developer support!  Two of my favorite indy developers graciously decided to retweet our Greenlight campaign to their twitters.  I won’t put their accounts here since I don’t want people to spam them, but you guys know who you are.  Thanks to them, our Greenlight teaser was tweeted out to an extra 80,000 people! That kind of exposure is hard to come by.

— Reddit Response:  Well, we actually were told we couldn’t post to certain places on reddit because more than 10% of our posts are about Ruin of the Reckless but in the communities where we were put up we did very well  We were the top post on r/indiegames, r/gamemaker and a few other subreddits for almost the full first two days of launch. I think that really helped us.

— Greenlight Page Reception: The reception was good.  Like… insanely good.  We quickly shot up to rank 100 in only one day, the comments on our steam page were almost all extremely positive, check it out yourself. and we are oscillating between a 68% – 79% approval rating, starting to stabiliize just below 70% which is quite high. For reference, the 5th highest rated game on Greenlight has a 70% upvote rate.)

— Press: We got our first write up late on Day 1 by ind13.com. They featured us prominently on their front page and wrote a really neat article about the campaign.  We also got a write up by oneangrygamer.com.  We were also contacted by a few more press sources, but you can see those when they are released. Feels good to know at least some of those e-mails we sent out were read.

I like to imagine the slimes are the people that voted ‘no, thanks’

What Went Wrong

When I went down to to see my mom for mothers day, I told her our plan to launch on May 12th and she said “arent you worried about launching while mercury is in retrograde” (astrology people claim that the phenomena makes communication, planning, and clear thinking more difficult), I laughed and laughed and laughed…

Is it possible that the misalignment of this planet cursed us?  Probably not.  But we could have planned a bit better! (Love you mom!)

To be honest, the launch was riddled with huge mistakes.  I really wish I had seen these issues coming, who knows how much momentum we lost due to these FUBAR moments.

— After sending out more than 100 press releases I had a painful realization.  I had built, but not actually published the presskit page on to our website.  By the time I realized I had forgotten to press ‘publish’, it was day 2 already.  We got 120 hits to our website on day 1, who knows how many of those were journalists looking for our presskit.  Almost all of the information was sent via e-mail any way, but this could not have helped us.

— Then… I had another painful realization. I had personalized every presskit e-mail to its receiver… but I had used the ‘forward’ button to send.  Cue that horrible moment of realization… a good 50 of the e-mails I sent had a big fat “FORWARD:” at the front of their subject lines.  I’m sure some promising leads went in to the trash bin.

— Then… I had another painful realization.. and this one was the worst of all.  In an attempt to be responsible, I created our Steam Greenlight page over a month in advance.  As we worked on the project, I updated the page with all of the information it would need, leaving it ‘published’ but still ‘hidden’ until it was ready.  When the day came that we launched, I flipped it to ‘published’, went on over to the ‘recent submissions’ page and… nothing! We weren’t listed.  It hit me like a ton of bricks, all the day 1 and 2 organic traffic that we had been preparing for was… not coming because our game wasn't technically a 'recent submission.'  Worse yet, I had already given the link out to about 60 people who had started sharing it with their friends.  OH NO!

It was awful, we had to take down the steam page and place it back up, quickly filling in the respective fields.  The problem was solved in about 5 minutes, but the damage was already done.  Dozens of people had clicked on those links and they were very unlikely to come back and check out the new fixed link. This also destroyed my google analytics links, which means we got no analytics data on day 1 of our campaign! What a missed opportunity. So, my takeaway from this is DO NOT PUBLISH YOUR GREENLIGHT UNTIL THE EXACT DAY THAT YOU LAUNCH!

— Remember when I mentioned that an indy dev friend of mine re-tweeted our Greenlight out?  I remember the moment well.  As I was sitting at my computer a little box flashed up in the corner ‘retweeted by REDACTED famous indy guy’ to SEVENTY ONE THOUSAND PEOPLE!  Amazing.  Within about ten seconds the retweet already had 16 likes, that’s REALLY fast!  And then… about five seconds later… the comments asking what was wrong… why wasn’t the link working?  OH CRAP! The first Tweet I sent had a broken link.  I watched in horror as the likes and retweets climbed (indicating people were looking at it and sharing it), and the confused comments started flowing in.  To my friends credit, he quickly took it down and offered to retweet a fixed version, which was really niceof him.  The damage was done though.  The second tweet only got 26 likes total.  Who knows how much exposure we lost out on there.  Maybe it was really no big deal, but it was a ‘feels bad, man’ moment for sure.

Greenlight is something like an orb... you can consume it to level up or use it as a weapon.

Other Stuff:

I learned some cool stuff about Greenlight during this process, and also some not so cool stuff.

Steam Greenlight Abuse: One thing I learned is that shovelware games give away thousands of beta keys to shady spammers who then turn around and give the beta keys back out in exchange for upvotes on Greenlight.  Expect to see some preposterously highly rated shovelware games in the top #100 due to this extremely regrettable practice. If you’re on Greenlight, please don’t do this kind of thing… it is the reason Greenlight will probably be shut down sometime soon.

Upvote percentage: Since Greenlight games seem to be hurt by downvotes… it’s a priority to limit downvotes while maximizing upvotes.  This is also just an efficiency thing, If you can drive the same number of eyes to your page, and get more upvotes out of them… why wouldn’t you?  I noticed that some of the campaigns with very high upvote percentages had lazer targeted marketing.  Say, a horror game where many of the comments on the page are like “I found you on horrorgamewatch.com! So cool!”  For that reason, it’s a good idea to engage with communities that you know will have an interest in your game/genre. I wish I had thought about that more in the lead up to the campaign, I think our upvote percentage could have been even higher.

See… he’s learning too! Learning to kill…

What’s next

Well, it looks like Ruin of the Reckless will be Greenlit.  Steam is very secretive about how exactly games are chosen, but we have an upvote percentage that is competitive with the top 10 games on Greenlight. Based on our research we expect that we will be Greenlit before the end of the month.  Now, we have heard horror stories of developers getting caught in ‘Greenlight Limbo’, but all we can do is cross our fingers and hope that our performance in the coming days speaks for itself.

I want to thank every one for getting involved.

Twenty seven hundred people came to the Ruin of the Reckless Greenlight page in the last two days and if upvotes are to be believed, the Ruin of the Reckless community grew by 1200 people.  Thanks to every one for helping us get this far.

And as always, please hashweb your twitter channel and facetag your instagrams! Please share our Greenlight with people and communities that you think will dig it.

Here's that steam Greenlight page one more time: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683031395

Thanks Again,

Faux-Operative
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:48:45 AM by FauxOperative » Logged
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »

Just a small update. We have been Greenlit! We ended at #22 on Steam Greenlight with just over 4000 votes.
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »

Super cool, cant wait to play it

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »

Ruin of the Reckless is looking for artists!

We are working on some exciting stuff behind the scenes here at Faux-Operative games right now, and are looking for artists to help us out. This is, of course, a paid position, and we are interesting in inquiries from the community.  If you dig Ruin of the Reckless and have been following along, that makes you an better candidate.

Are you a pixel or concept artist interested in working with Faux-Operative Games?  Can you match the style of these assets?

Contact us are [email protected]

Contact us at [email protected] for more information.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:01:11 PM by FauxOperative » Logged
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »

Ruin of the Reckless #7 – What’s next? And a very important announcement about Ruin of the Reckless.

Hello again friends! SpicyCrab from Faux-Operative games here again. It has been a little while since our last blog post, and I wanted to update every one on what we are working on over here at Faux-Operative games, how our recent private beta went, and what is next on the horizon.

Here’s a concept for… something I can’t tell you much more about yet! – Rough sketch by Yunior Guerra

Feedback has been really positive so far.  Testers really enjoyed our ‘juiciness’ elements; especially when hitting enemies.  For any one not familiar with the term, ‘juiciness’ refers to the intangible (and usually quite subtle) effects that make your actions ‘pop.’ Things like hit stop, screen shake, knockback and just the general responses that a game gives you for your inputs. After putting so much time in to these elements it was great to see that people really enjoyed what we had done. Of course testers had plenty more to say, but I can’t get in to every thing here.

For those who are interested in learning more about this idea, I really recommend this talk by Jan Willem Nijman (one of the developers over at Vlambeer.)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AJdEqssNZ-U

New stuff

We were also very curious to see how testers would respond to two of our new ‘experimental’ ideas. Luckily for us, they were a hit. Now that we know they work we can give you guys a peek.

Pets

An intimidating army of pets to be sure, but there’s no reason you can’t collect more.

No shape is more reckless than a dodecahedron (Just ask Carl Sagan,) and so reckless energy sometimes becomes trapped in just such a shape. A skilled practitioner can harness that power. We’ll talk more about the different types of pets later.  For now, just know that by finding small totems hidden through the tower, or by collecting the appropriate ability orbs, players will be able to attract pets.  You keep all of your pets when you leave a floor, so if you can protect them you can build an army!

Gust

Gust really shines around choke points and hallways, just be careful you don’t bounce your enemies back in to you!

This ‘offhand’ weapon causes no damage but pushes enemies back in a wide radius.  Choosing Gust as your offhand weapon will make you a crowd control specialist. Upgrade your gust to emit extra tornadoes and also to  increase its range, speed, and knockback.

Overall we were incredibly happy with the feedback that we got on this build.  It seems we’re really on the right track and that’s very exciting.  Of course it wasn’t all roses, and there were some things that players didn’t like – but most of these things related to elements we can’t quite include yet because they’re not done!

Tester Feedback

Testers were disappointed that the card system wasn’t implemented yet, for example. They also wanted to see a better overview of their progress between floors (we’re working on that right now!)  They wanted a fully realized inventory screen, and they wanted a chance to fight an epic giant boss. Testers also asked for a more clear HUD.  I really like the one we already have, but I can see how it might get a bit confusing, so we are looking in to ways that we can address that.

These are all things that we were on the way to implementing already though, so what this tells is to press on and get it all done!  Full speed ahead! Which brings me to my announcement.

Just a neat shot of one of our spellbooks at work.

Ruin of the Reckless is running a kickstarter campaign starting August 18th!
We are so close to where want to be, and we’ve stretched our resources so much further than we would have thought was possible.  Unfortunately, as many of you are probably aware; art assets of the quality you see in Ruin of the Reckless don’t come cheap.  And there’s still a lot of art that we need.  We want to finish up our inventory screen, add animations to enemies, add doodads to the environment, commission designs for the new enemies that we want to include, and fill out basically the entire game with the lively animated pixel art goodness that you all expect to see. All of this is going to cost resources that we unfortunately just do not have.

For that reason, we are launching a Kickstarter on the 18th of August. If we reach our minimum we’ll be able to deliver the game with the level of polish we all want. If we beat it, we’d love to include some awesome extras like alternate player characters, a unique soundtrack, and expanded multiplayer functions. So if you have been following along, and you’re excited about what we’re doing; I really hope that you will take the time to spread the word and help bring this thing we’ve created to life the way we always envisioned!
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »

New Blog Post!

Ruin of the Reckless #8 – What it means to take a risk.
Posted on July 13, 2016 by fauxoperative

Hello again friends! SpicyCrab from Faux-Operative games here again.

Today I wanted to talk a little bit about what ‘Ruin of the Reckless’ really stands for, the philosophy behind the mechanics, and how we stress those elements with the design.

What is the Ruin of the Reckless

The Ruin of the Reckless is a legendary nexus of the after life.  It has existed since before any one can remember; attracting spirits like moths to the flame.  But not just any spirits will be brought there. In fact, the vast majority of them will simply pass on through the conventional channels, sidestepping the Ruins entirely.

How does a spirit find its way here?

No one is quite sure why, but the only spirits that are called to the Ruins are those that died with true recklessness in their hearts.  They may be heroic adventurers who threw caution to the wind, great heroes that fought in the name of valor, or (more likely) brave hearted fools that fell to their own foolishness.  Whatever the case may be, one thing is certain… the more reckless a spirit was in life; the more powerful they will become once inside the Tower.

All in them in  a place where the only true measure of someone’s strength is their willingness to throw caution to the wind and ignore the danger ahead they will show that their reckless power is enough to carry them through the day and to see their wish granted.

Why are these Ruins so Reckless

So now that you know the driving idea behind the design of Ruin of the Reckless, I want to talk for a minute about a few mechanics we’ve included to stress these ideas in game.

Timid Players

One thing that we always found frustrating about many Rogue-like action games is the lack of pressure on the player to proceed.  For instance, you might be looking  in to a room full of enemies, a tough room that is going to require a lot of energy to crack.  In this situation, without some type of time limit, players will often revert to un-fun strategies that clear the room very slowly in order to ensure they can progress without risk.

Here are a few examples; slowly picking off enemies from very long range with enemies that can’t defend themselves,  slowly drawing out enemies one at a time in to a series of one versus one fights, hiding in a corner of the level and waiting for enemies to slowly come find you on their patrols.

Any one else have fond memories of getting this guy stuck on a wall and slowly killing him with soul arrows?
[/i]

With Ruin of the Reckless, we knew that we did not want this type of game play to be a major factor. Wee wanted to push players towards difficult decisions, epic moments, and intense fights.  To keep things moving at the fast clip we have implemented some special mechanics.

Unstable Floors

Watch out! This floor is becoming unstable.

On each floor of the tower players will note a timer ticking down at the top of their screen. If you can clear the floor and leave before the timer is up, good on you.  Collect your experience bonus and move on to the next floor.

If you haven’t left the floor by the time it runs out,  the floor will begin to become unstable.  Portals will begin opening up, but instead of bringing monsters as they normally would, they will send fireballs rocketing towards the player.  Over time, they will appear more quickly, until they are materializing at a rate that will make it very difficult for the player to escape unscathed.

It’s true that some spirits, in desperate moments, have attempted to use these portals as weapons against their enemies.  It’s also true that most of them regretted the decision.

Fast Fade-Times

So in many games in our genre, I have noticed that coins and items tend to land on the ground and stay forever.  This gives players a nice comfortable feeling of being able to take their time, collect things at their leisure, and take out enemies in the optimal way without sacrificing resources.  Basically, these are all the things we do not want to have in Ruin of the Reckless.

So with that in mind, we have a very fast tick down rate our coins.  If you don’t pick them up when they drop, you will not get very many chances to try again.  This means that to collect large amounts of money players will need to wade in to hordes of enemies while they are still fighting their friends. Of course, you could play it a bit safer and let those sweet coins disappear instead.

Better grab those coins fast, they won’t be there for long.

Reminder: The Ruin of the Reckless Kickstarter begins August 18th!

What could be more reckless than a Kickstarter? Join us August 18th as we throw caution to the window, put on our Icarus wings, and take to the roiling skies of the popular crowdfunding platform.  If you dig what we’re doing, spread the word. Let people know that it’s coming, let people know that you are excited about it.  If you can’t or won’t pledge, consider telling your friends about Ruin of the Reckless instead.  Every thing helps, and once again I want to thank every one for your support so far.  We never could have come this far without help from the indy gaming community!
FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 06:53:23 AM »

We've got a new blog post up detailing all of the neat stuff that is going to be exclusive for Kickstarter Backers starting on August 18th!

Hello again friends! Spicy Crab here.  I know it has been a while since our last update but rest assured we have been hard at work on the game, and on preparing for the future of Ruin of the Reckless! Today, we’re going to be talking about the upcoming Ruin of the Reckless Kickstarter Launch on August 18th! (Are you excited?  I am excited!)

So first I just want to give you all a brief run down of what you can expect to see coming in to the Kickstarter.  I don’t want to spoil every thing right off the bat, but we’re going to have loads of backer exclusive swag available, and here’s a brief run down of a few of the things you’ll have a chance to get.

Get the game cheaper!

We want to thank all of the people who have supported us from the beginning.  For that reason, any one who pledges in the first three days will be getting a huge discount on the cost of the game.  We have no plans to sell the game for cheaper than you will be able to get it at that time.  Just because you’re reckless, doesn’t mean you don’t know a good deal when you see one!

Get access to our early access build!

After the Kickstarter finishes, we will be working around the clock on our private early access build for backers.  Those of you who pledge at that level can expect to be included in that rollout.  You’ll get to see and experience the game before it’s done and have a chance to help us shape the game in to what YOU want it to be.

Limited Edition Signed Art Prints!

We have contracted with the talented Maki Naro to deliver a gorgeous custom art piece for you to enjoy.  These prints will feature Stargrove, our main character, unleashing the might of his Spirit Gauntlet. They will be signed by both creators of Ruin of the Reckless and will only ever be available through the Kickstarter. Here is a preview of what you can expect them to look like.

We are honored to work with Maki Naro, maybe these will even be worth something some day!

Limited Edition Skullslime Plushies!

This one is really exciting. Now I can’t show them to you yet, (that will be the subject of a future update.) but we are going to have a collection of absolutely gorgeous hand-made limited edition Skullslime plushies.  We have wanted to get these little guys made for years and it’s finally time! Each one is going to be lovingly hand crafted, and they will only ever be available through the Kickstarter.  Right now, it’s looking like we are going to have at least 30 of them available, (hopefully more.) and when the Kickstarter launches I would grab them fast because I think these little dudes guys are going to fly off of the shelves.
http://i0.wp.com/ruinofthereckless.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/unnamed.gif?resize=456%2C262[/img]

You know you want to cuddle up with one of these at bed time.

Shape the Game!

The Ruin of the Reckless is a repository for troubled spirits from across time and space.  Some odd characters have wandered in over the years, but we’ve left room in the tower for a few new faces.  These will be very limited rewards for our higher level backers.  So those of you who always dreamed of designing your own monster, NPC, or even playable character and seeing it come alive and do battle, you will have that chance.  I am really excited about these rewards because the Ruin of the Reckless has always been a place that any spirit could end up… so why not one from your mind instead of ours? We will be commissioning beautiful pixel art and devoting hours of programming time to bringing your vision to life and I couldn’t be more pumped about it!

Original Soundtrack!

I can’t say too much more about this just yet, since we are still working out the final details, but if we can raise enough, we will be commissioning a completely unique Original Sound Track for Ruin of the Reckless from one of the most beloved chiptune artists out there (If you’ve been following development, you can probably figure out who it is!).  Once we reach that funding level, there will be a way to get your own digital copy of the soundtrack through the Kickstarter as well!

Other Stuff!

There’s all kinds of neat little things we are preparing for you guys, and we’re working really hard to make sure the Kickstarter page itself is absolutely gorgeous too!

The first three days of the Kickstarter are the most important, so I really hope you will all be gracious enough to get involved! August 18th,  Save the date! And if you deem us worthy… please spread the word!  Tell your friends in real life, Throw a post up on your favorite forum, post to reddit, tell your best friend Hank who works at Rock Paper Shotgun (!) Or just engage with us, tell us what you want to see, or what you think Ruin of the Reckless could be.  If you get involved in any way, we want to thank you in advance!

Also, as of this update the Ruin of the Reckless Kickstarter Alpha will be available to select members of the press and certain players who have expressed interest.  If you think you should be on that list, and we somehow forgot about you, please contact [email protected] and we will make sure to get you your exclusive Ruin of the Reckless Kickstarter Alpha.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:52:56 AM by FauxOperativeGames » Logged

Ruin of the Reckless, now on Steam!
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »

Following! Nice art  Grin

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »

Art looks pretty good.

One thing-

When people use this graphical style, the thing I always think is that the contours and edges don't read well enough, which means you lose a lot of depth, and your characters and layers tend to look like sheets of paper which their floor shadows suggest are hovering in space. Maybe there is some way that is consistent with this style where you could really push the contours, with some darker and lighter values?

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »

Aloft,

Alas, with many things there are trade-offs / sacrifices but I know what you mean.  We do our best to keep the colors as distinct and 'poppy' as possible.  It's definitely something to keep in mind as we move forward.

Thank you for the feedback. Smiley

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »

Ruin of the Reckless #10 – An open call to Streamers and Casters! Potential rewards for YOU!

Hello friends!

As many of you are aware, we are doing our Kickstarter launch on the 18th of August which is just 6 days away!

In the lead up to our Kickstarter, we want to do a big media push over on twitch.tv and Youtube!

Are you a twitch streamer or youtuber? Are you excited about Ruin of the Reckless?

On August 18th, we’re going to offer any Twitch live streamer or Youtube Let’s Player who features us 3 free copies of Ruin of The Reckless to give away to their fans and 1 free Beta Access for them and 1 free Beta access to their fans.  It doesn’t matter if your channel is big or small, we are happy to extend this offer to any one who is running a ‘real’ stream and is interested. (Just be aware that if you’re trying to scam the system somehow we reserve the right to refuse this deal to any one for any reason. None of you guys would try to do that any way though, right!?)

You like playing games online.  You love Ruin of the Reckless, here’s a chance to combine the two greatest passions of your life.

Contact us at [email protected] to receive full details, and your streamable copy of the Ruin of the Reckless pre-kickstarter alpha!

Also, check it out, we have near final ‘box art’ ready to go!

RotRSplash

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

THE KICKSTARTER GOES LIVE TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT ON THE WEST COAST!

What will we wake up to in the morning? We’re so, so excited to be sharing this labor of love with you starting in the early hours tonight. Before all the excitement and noise tomorrow, I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has been following us for the past few months as we’ve gotten more serious about reaching out to the indie developer community.

If you’ve been following on this blog, following us over at Steam Greenlight, the Fantasy Strike forums, or Reddit – thank you so much! There’s something unique and exciting about realizing you’re part of a larger community of artists, and we’ve been humbled by all the love and support.

I know a ton of you are developers yourself, or work on indie games, or just really love them. And we think you’ll especially appreciate how over the moon excited and terrified we are to launch tomorrow. Thank you so much for any help you might give us in getting out the word.

Now without further adieu…

Skullslime! TRANSFOOOORMM!!

WE HAVE SKULLSLIME PLUSHIES AND THEY LOOK AWESOME!

Now, this is a prototype, and there are few small revisions that you will probably see incorporated in the final stuffies, but this should give you an idea of what you are going to see!

HUGE thanks to Kristen Lofton over at Soukri for agreeing to help us make these for the campaign. These adorable little guys are made of high quality materials and will only be available in limited quantities.

Since each one will be a one of a kind, handmade piece of art- we can only offer a few of them and we’re only going to be selling them during the Kickstarter, so they will be great limited edition pieces for collectors as well. I must admit I will be a little sad to ship off all of my little buddies, but I know you guys will take great care of them so it’s alright.

IT’S ALMOST TIME! We’ll have more to say tomorrow – but for now, keep your eyes on Twitter for the announcement that we’ve gone LIVE!

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 03:07:51 PM »

This is so gorgeous. The palette is real, real nice.
Best of luck with the kickstarter! Those plushies are absolute sweethearts.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic