Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:46:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRuin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Ruin of the Reckless (Action Rogue-Lite with push your luck mechanics)  (Read 8063 times)
FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »

A Competition for Alpha players: The Race to the Top + gobbs of awesome Ruin of the Reckless live streamed gameplay!

A RACE TO THE TOP

As many of you probably know, we have now offered Alpha access to some of our early kickstarter backers and friends across the internet.  

Did I mention we are running a Kickstarter, by the way?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1546117610/ruin-of-the-reckless-can-you-escape-the-tower

If you haven’t checked out our Kickstarter yet, now is the time.

Today, for our new alpha squad! We’re kicking off our first week of official Ruin of the Reckless COMPETITIONS. Over the course of the next four weeks we’ll be offering all sorts of rewards to talented players who help us get the word out about while mastering strategies to climb the tower. (Note, you will need to have access to the alpha, and be live streaming your gameplay, and archiving those live streams to be eligible for any rewards.)

Our first competition?

A RACE TO THE TOP! Can you reach the 13th floor of the alpha tower?

In our super secret Ultra-Alpha, a number of test players mastered the basic mechanics of the game and ascended to the 13th and final floor of our Alpha build. So far, none of our Livestreamers or Let’s Players have pulled that off. The final tower will have 20 or more floors, so it’s time to polish your skills!

We just recently pushed an alpha update to steam, so before you get started on any of our new challenges, make sure you are running version 0.1.06 of the alpha.

To encourage you on your journey, we’ve decided to reward whoever reaches the final floor of the tower! What exactly do you get? THE FIRST livestreamer to defeat the Tower will receive: 3 alpha keys, 5 Steam Keys, a signed art print, one of two Skull Slime plushies that can only be won in combat, and your name will become a LEGEND OF THE TOWER!

Looks like there are already streamers out there going for the gold! So you best get started streaming yourself if you want to have the chance to be a legend.

@TehSoupa sharpens his skills, will he be the first live streamer to reach the top in version 0.1.06 and steal your opportunity to get a skullslime!~?

https://www.twitch.tv/tehsoupa

PLAY WITH SKILL

Like any good challenge, there will be rewards along the way! During streams, we’ll be popping in and out to say hello and capture .gifs of your reckless skills. Whoever has the BEST moment at the end of the day will win an extra Steam Key and be able to let someone outside of our kickstarter community in to the alpha.

Z320TV is ready to brave the tower!

https://www.twitch.tv/z32o/v/85230956

PLAY WITH SPEED

If someone else reaches the top of the tower before you, don’t give up! We’ll have special rewards for anyone who beats the record for the fastest run as well! The first streamer to beat a time run record will receive: 1 Alpha key, 2 Steam keys unlocked for their audience, and will become a LEGEND OF THE TOWER. (No, we can’t reward you for beating your own record, sharing is caring.)

StartletKnight is on the case, are you?

https://www.twitch.tv/starletknight/v/85290184

PLAY WITH DETERMINATION

We’ll also have a super secret prize for whoever holds the longest legitimate stream of Ruin of the Reckless!

We’re kicked off our RACE TO THE TOP today – so if you’d like to participate please send us a note so we can get you on the schedule and help promote your stream! We’d like to make sure we can drop in and say hello to as many people as possible, so please let us know when you’re thinking of starting so we can try to make it work! Send an email to: [email protected]

Remember, to sign up for the competition, you must have alpha access and streaming or posting Let’s Plays!

If you are interested in seeing what Ruin of the Reckless is all about, come check out some of these awesome stream archives below, including an interview!

Big List of Awesome RotR Streams

Interview with ExFauxSure: https://www.twitch.tv/exfauxsure/v/84423043 <- We hung out on Stream with ExFauxSure and did a full length interview talking about the game and our design philosophy.

Absnerdity: https://www.twitch.tv/absnerdity/v/84292305 Absnerdity was one of the first people to feature our game on stream.  He was running a slightly older build that was giving him a bit of slowdown, but they were still having so much fun that they they streamed for six hours!  We jumped on to the stream to answer some questions and talk about the game as well, this one was really a blast so please check it out.

GamesWeStream: https://www.twitch.tv/gameswestream/v/85279887 <- We hung out with GamesWeStream and answered some of his questions, and watched him play for a while too. This was a really professional looking Stream that we were super happy to be a part of.

BluesMCGroove: https://www.twitch.tv/bluesmcgroove/v/84517802 <- Blues played an earlier version, and his feedback helped us improve keyboard and mouse controls a lot, he has a critical eye and his thoughts have already informed our more recent builds.

PierreCreates: https://www.twitch.tv/pierrecreates/v/84411775 <- It was great to hang out with pierre on stream and answer some of his questions.

NeedToKnowGaming: https://www.twitch.tv/needtoknowgaming/v/84342328 <- Dawn was very gracious in helping spread the word about Ruin of the Reckless, and it was amazing to finally get a chance to see her play the game live after talking online so many times about our ambitions.

Rover 8680: https://www.twitch.tv/rover8680/v/84386552 <– Rover graciously offered to host us on his channel for a bit, and we had a lot of fun hanging out and talking about the game with him.

InkEyesLP:  https://www.twitch.tv/inkeyeslp/v/85169527 <– InkEyes has been following development for a while too, so it was good to finally get a chance to see him playing the game and hear his thoughts on the design.

Thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to feature Ruin of the Reckless on your streams!

And if you plan to become The Legend of the Tower… Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:48:06 PM by FauxOperativeGames » Logged

Ruin of the Reckless, now on Steam!
FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »

Just a heads up every body, we hit our minimum! (actually that happened a few days ago but I have been so busy I forgot to come to tigsource)

Thanks to every one that backed.  We will have a full announcement in the next day or so.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

Congrats! Smiley

FauxOperative
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »

Hello again every one! I wanted to let you all know that we have just released our beta backer build on Steam!  I know I have been a bit of a stranger thing but that's just because I am juggling many many different hats to try to make this game possible.

This is a crosspost from our official blog here... http://ruinofthereckless.com/ruin-of-the-reckless-backer-update-4-beta-backer-build-released/

Ruin of the Reckless Backer Update #4 – BETA BACKER BUILD RELEASED!
Posted on January 31, 2017 by fauxoperative

Hello friends!

As promised, all backers above the $25.00 level have now received an invite to The Beta backer Build (Beta Build 0.4)

So this is a formal announcement of the beta release, and some notes about what you can expect to find.

Here’s the best part, you already have it!  The build has been pushed to Steam so if you downloaded it back during the Kickstarter then it is ready to update and play right now! Just close Steam, open it again, and your update will begin. Let us know what you think! If all goes according to plan, your old alpha build save file will be seamlessly deleted under the hood so you don’t have to do any thing but open Steam and launch the game.

However, please keep in mind that a release like this has a lot of moving pieces. There is a pretty decent chance that some horrible error or oversight will crop up. So… if something does go wrong, we really apologize, and we promise we will get it resolved ASAP!

If you backed at the appropriate level but still can’t access the game, or if you can’t find your serial number, please let us know and we will set you up!

Most of our previous updates focused on the things we have added so far, but there is a lot I never got the chance to cover. To discover all of the new items, orbs, enemies, strategies, and other additions we’ve added you’ll just need to jump in and play! (because that’s not what this post is about.)

What’s Left?

So much has changed since the last time you all had a chance to play, it is more appropriate to tell you what is missing from the game still, and what we plan to add before release.

Here are the major things we want to get added in moving forward.

‘Stella’ pixel art by the talented Rafael Francois (Twitter: @rathaelos)

Co-op Play – Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get the necessary assets finished in time to enable co-op play quite yet.  However, it is now our number one priority. This is the next feature we want to add which is why it’s at the top of this list. Pretty soon, you will be able to adventure through the game with a friend!

Mid-Boss Tweaking – Right now there is a full boss battle which occurs halfway through the tower. Although we are pretty happy with the tone and pace of the fight, and many of the elements involved, we are still waiting on some art and sound design which should make the whole thing feel a lot better. We are eager to hear your feedback on what you think of of the current iteration of this fight (if you can even get there, MWAHAHAHA) and integrate it in to the experience by improving the elements you think are the most frustrating, or fun, or important. Of course, the balance of this fight is crucial so don’t be shy with the feedback. No screenshot yet because as far as I know nobody but me or Danny has even seen this sequence yet and we want to keep it a surprise for you guys (also the art isn’t fully done yet.)

Final Boss and ending sequence – We are in the process of designing/implementing the final boss fight against our mysterious antagonist. This includes designing the final boss itself (and his environment) and creating the fight as well as fashioning an intro that is capable of handling both Stargrove and Stella, or either one of them… as well as integrating an ending sequence for the game.  This is another character we aren’t comfortable revealing the design for, since the final boss is connected to the lore of the tower and it would be a major spoiler.

Sound Design – Many of the sounds in the game still need iteration and polish.  We spent a long time looking for the right person to handle our sound and eventually settled on Wes Devore because he really impressed us with his technical know-how and skill.  We are still in the process of going through with him and updating/adding to many of the sounds in game, but if a specific asset jumps out to you as being needed or needing tweaking let us know!

Finished Chaos Card Art – You will notice that we have changed the Chaos Card art style to be much more detailed.  We wanted collecting these to feel really cool. We are going to get every card in the game looking this good thanks to the help of the very talented Rolando Ortiz (twitter: @bnmotive) Currently, however, many of the cards in game have a little ‘grey backpack’ on them instead, which simply means the art for that card is not finished yet. Soon, they will all be in game and ready to go. Which of you will be the first to collect all 34? (and yes, there will be a few more added before release as well)

Polish to some elements – We have more polished/nicer art coming for the crates (which will soon be accompanied by barrels), and we want to add some really nice special effects so that thrashing your way through the tower feels as great as we know it can.) Really, besides that though, we will be adding polish to things that we think still need it (like, for example, gravity bomb…) , and also to things that YOU still think need it, so let us know your thoughts!

Optimization – Although there are MANY optimizations included in this build when compared to the alpha, we still expect that certain systems and configurations will end up having some performance issues.  The beta is our chance to investigate the cause of such issues and resolve them, so if you are having performance issues PLEASE GET IN CONTACT WITH US! You are our front line of defense in the war against slowdown. We cannot possibly test the game on a wide enough range of systems to collect this data ourselves so please report any issues that you have.

One more enemy – One of our backers asked to see how the game/balance is stacking up in the beta backer build before they design their enemy, so we will be adding one more enemy to the game, which will likely be a lower level creature designed to make the earlier floors a bit more varied.

Bug Fixing – Although we tried our very best to eliminate as many bugs as we could, to find them all we will need your help! Please do not hesitate to contact us with any bugs you find.  All of our backers will soon receive a link to our BACKER COMMUNITY TRELLO. Trello is a really amazing group workboard where we can share and collaborate with our backers…  and where you can report bugs and leave feedback for us as well.

Pixel art by the talented Joe Rogers (twitter: @jrrogersart)

Ace Blade – There is one more backer NPC to add;Ace Blade. (Sai, the trader, is already in) Ace will be harder to find than Sai, and will offer the player direct combat assistance inside the tower once you can successfully get him on your side. In keeping with our general design philosophy though, his help is acquired DURING a run, not between runs , and if you should be defeated you will need to find him again to enlist his aid.

Pixel art by the talented Joe Rogers (twitter: @jrrogersart)

I also want to take this opportunity to extend a special thanks to Meg Ziegler and Marc Macgruder for backing us at the ‘Harbinger of the Reckless’ level and making the inclusion of these really flavorful NPCs possible! We *also* really want to thank Skye Clark, who backed us at the ‘Harbinger’ level but opted not to design a character for the game. (Skye just wanted an excuse to help the project out. Thanks Skye!)

Difficulty Tuning – A game like Ruin of the Reckless REQUIRES high difficulty to function, however, I want you all to know that this build is deliberately overtuned in that respect.  What I mean to say that it is harder then the final game will be.  This is because it is much easier for us to tone the difficulty down, then it is for us to tone the difficulty ‘up.’  So don’t be surprised if the tower feels very daunting right now, that is by design and part of the plan. However, just *how much* we tone it down is going to be in large part guided by YOU. That means we need your feedback to get the difficulty just right. This includes the balance of the various items, orbs, and abilities, so let us know if you find any thing to be ‘useless’ or ‘super overpowered.’  And… just a tip: Stomping Boots + Rapier feels pretty strong right now, and plenty of items that don’t seem that great at first glance are actually quite good if you build around them.

Credit sequence – We have had the opportunity to work with a lot of amazing people (including all of our wonderful backers), so this credit sequence will be our way of saying thanks to them! I’ll be honest, it probably isn’t going to be a super elaborate thing because we need to spend our time on actual game content for you to enjoy, but we will be making sure it looks polished and does due justice to all of our backers above the ‘special thanks’ tier as well as our collaborators on the project.

ALRIGHT! That’s every thing. As you can see, there is actually quite a bit of work to do in the time we have left, so we are going to be working around the clock.  However, with the help of our backers and contractors, if we work full bore, we still think we can have the game finished and ready to go by the end of March.

Once again I want to thank all of you for helping us out and making this project possible. We look forward to working with you all to make Ruin of the Reckless the best game it can possibly be. To stay up to date on the very latest news about Ruin of the Reckless, please don’t forget to follow us on twitter @fauxoperative

Signing off for now,
Charles Webb and Daniel Crockenberg

Faux-Operative Games

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »

Hi guys, I haven't posted here for a long time mostly because our updates lately are things I just didn't think were very 'tigsourcey.'  But we finally have a story to tell that I think will be pretty interesting to all of you fine people.

‘Ruining Reckless’ – The LEGENDARY SAGA(!) of our front page reddit AMA, part 1.

About two days after release I posted an AMA on reddit expecting a small boost to our metrics.  Instead we ended up having the 50th  most successful reddit AMA of all time, collecting 35,800 upvotes, rocketing to the #1 spot on the reddit front page and sticking around up there for about 11 hours.

(Here's a link in case you missed it...https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/683tt8/my_best_friend_and_i_quit_our_jobs_raised_17656/)

This puts us ahead of some very notable AMAs; The scientists at NASAs New Horizon Team, Senator Rand Paul, The Wikileaks Staff, Jon Stewart, Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Mike Rowe, Bill Nye, Key and Peele, etc…)

I won’t pretend to know ‘why’ that happened… but I wanted to take some time here to tell you guys the story of our actions leading up to that moment, as well as the overall impact of this event on our business. Perhaps others can learn from our experience and benefit somehow…

There will be three posts in this series (Part 1 – The Failed Post, Part 2 – The Successful Post, and Part 3 – The Business Impact)

Part 1 – The Failed Post

So firstly I just want to establish that before this whole event Danny and I had basically decided that we never wanted to post on reddit again. After many attempts to post on various subreddits under an older name, we were made acutely aware that it was frowned upon to use an account just for self promotion of our product (Yes, I know, we’re dumb, sorry.)

Reddit has something called the 1/10 rule, which means that for every ONE post you make promoting your own work you must make TEN posts about other things.  Each subreddit is different, some ignore the rule, some follow it very closely, some actually hold posters to a higher ratio or even insist that only submissions count towards the total.  We didn’t understand any of this, really, and that was our mistake. We had developed a HUGE backlog of posts on indie-dev subreddits (where they mostly ignore the 1/10 rule.) After several ‘hot’ submissions were taken down from other subreddits, we realized that the account had to be abandoned completely, as it would never ‘really’ be allowed to post on any non-gamedev reddits ever again.

So about six months ago or so I created a new reddit account ‘InsanelySpicyCrab’, and resolved to almost NEVER use it for any kind of self promotion at all. Instead I just lurked, made small submissions, and commented on minor things. If Ruin of the Reckless came up for some reason, I would actively avoid discussing it publicly, directing others to PM me instead.  This was all in the service of a naive hope… that somehow when we released we would be allowed to post one ‘big’ thing that blew up and made it to the front page.  I knew it was a long shot, but it seemed like it was worth a try… so I puttered about posting about ‘whatever’ and making sure the account was active.

On April 23rd, 2017, I messaged the moderators of iAMA and I let them know that we planned on doing an AMA to celebrate our release on the 26th.  I gave them almost the exact text of the post and cleared it with them in advance. I was assured that everything looked good and it would be no problem.

Release rolled around on April 26th, 2017.  Following the hectic PR schedule we had arranged with the help of Charlene at Player Two PR we began sending out press releases and doing the rest of the ‘normal’ stuff you would expect around that time.  I also went ahead and posted up the AMA that we had cleared with mods.

The post seemed to be doing well.  We were getting a healthy engagement level with plenty of comments and up votes.  It wasn’t blowing up like crazy or anything, but it looked decent and we were more or less satisfied.  However, about 2 hours later, the post was mysteriously blacklisted. (When a post is blacklisted it remains ‘active’, but no longer appears in reddit users feed. Essentially, this kills the post.)  I have had posts blacklisted before and generally you get a message from the mods explaining why… but we got nothing. No explanation, no communication at all.

WHAT A DISASTER! It was release day, this AMA was a big part of our plan… so I messaged the mods on reddit – no response, then I tweeted to them – no response… then I emailed them – no response. We waited and waited, but still no response.  After nine hours I came to what I thought was the only logical conclusion, “The mods are deliberately ignoring me.” It hardly mattered anymore… release day was over. The ‘front page dream’ was dead.

Late in the night I finally received a response from a mod.  An automated bot had mistaken our post for a crowd funding advertisement because the title contained the word “Kickstarter.”  I explained the entire situation; that our Kickstarter had actually ended seven months ago, that I had cleared our post in advance with the mods… I insisted that the only fair thing to do was let us post again, and luckily the mods agreed.

Alright, conspiracy is over, the mods are just doing their jobs… all is right in the world.  However, I didn’t really want to post the new AMA immediately since we were so exhausted after release… so I resolved to revisit the AMA on the 28th.  I figured that it wouldn’t have much of an impact this time. In my mind, we had already used up much of our goodwill on the first one that was taken down.  “Better than nothing”, I thought. We’ll eke out a tiny PR boost and be done with it.

Well, as you know, that isn’t quite how it worked out…

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:18:51 PM by FauxOperativeGames » Logged

castled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »

wow, congrats on such a successful AmA! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »

Congrats on the launch!  I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, although I haven't gotten that far in it (haven't made it past floor 4). 

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »

Hi all, here is the second part in our blog series on hitting the front page of reddit.

Intro

About two days after release I posted an AMA on reddit expecting a small boost for our metrics.  Instead we ended up having the 50th  most successful reddit AMA of all time, collecting 35,800 upvotes and rocketing to the #1 spot on the reddit front page and sticking around up there for about 11 hours. (Here’s a link in case you missed it.)

There will be three posts in this series (Part 1 – The Failed Post, Part 2 – The Successful Post, and Part 3 – The Business Impact)

The Successful Post

In the last chapter I explained that our first AMA post was taken down due to an error with the subreddit moderation bot, and that the mods of r/iAma were gracious enough to allow us a ‘second chance.’  I think this actually ended up working in our favor, since I do not believe the original post would have performed as well as the second one did (how could it, really?). However, at the time I was pretty bummed out about it, and with all of the other stresses on release day I just didn’t feel up to try again the next morning.  I took one frustrated day off of reddit, and resolved to post again as soon as I felt up for it.

I woke up around 8:30 AM two days after release, checked reddit, and saw that there was already an AMA on the front page, this one from Gorrillaz. I remember feeling pretty jealous… “Dang, that’s going to take attention away from our AMA.” I admit there was a part of me that was bitter that big acts like The Gorrilaz can post with impunity and never be questioned, but there seemed to be so much resistance to an independent developer doing the same. In retrospect, I think this is another thing that worked in our favor, our art style isn’t so dissimilar from theirs (and in fact one of our artists was very much inspired by their branding) so we may have gotten some positive spillover from their AMA on to ours.

I put the AMA up at around 9:00 AM and started answering questions.  About an hour later, I was browsing reddit waiting for responses and saw that we were on the front page.  At first I couldn’t believe it! “It must be because of the subs I am subscribed to”, I thought… so I logged out.  Lo and behold it was still there, sitting pretty at #3 on the front page! It was extremely sudden and unexpected.  I was so surprised, I hadn’t even had time to notify my partner that the AMA had been posted. I frantically called him, “We’re on the front page of reddit.” That’s some pretty great news to get in the morning two days after your game releases. Just a few minutes later we would be the #1 item at the top of the front page. Wow! Our AMA actually received more attention than The Gorrillaz AMA did, something I never would have imagined was possible!

I had foolishly pledged in my original post to answer every single question, no matter how aggressive or mean it was, and I intended to make sure that promise was kept, so Danny and I went to work, all day… answering every single question, which ended up being well in excess of a thousand.

The pace was intense, it all felt VERY important, and of course in terms of our business it really was. The questions were coming in faster than we could answer them, even with both of us going at full speed. I couldn’t believe the sheer volume of it. At one moment I glanced up at my inbox and say I had over six hundred unread messages. By the end of it my hands were trembling, and I became acutely aware that I hadn’t even eaten the entire day, WHOOPS! When the post finally fell off the front page I was relieved that it was over, which is pretty dumb if you think about it!

Danny and I worked literally 11 hours straight answering questions on reddit before we were able to catch up to all the questions. They continued to trail in for the next several days as people left additional comments ‘after the fact’ as well. To make it even more stressful, I was actually fielding technical support inquiries from users during much the AMA as well.

The comments in general were extremely positive (see for yourself) , but here are some common themes.

THE GOOD

How did you get started?

This question came up quite a few times, I think a lot of our traffic was generated by other people interested in becoming game developers.

What advice do you have for new developers?

This was another very common question, and one which I never quite felt qualified to answer fully.  However, I made sure to mention finite-state machines and tweening algorithms and pointing people towards this video (It’s a talk on game-feel by Vlambeer.)

People asking about the game itself, or just complimenting us on the game.

There were plenty of these, probably the vast majority of comments were just like “Wow, That’s awesome! What will you do next? Smiley

THE BAD

You guys are just shills, spamming our subreddits and blabla etc…

This was a VERY rare response, maybe 4 people in the entire AMA left comments like this. However, it was a pretty interesting thing to have people say, because the only supporting evidence for such a claim would have been our previous AMA (which was taken down.) The people that made this complaint would have had to skip the text of our original post, and then search through our post history for the old blacklisted post looking for trouble, essentially.

These people literally saw our AMA and then immediately started looking through our post history for ‘dirt’ on us without even reading it first.  Some people really want to believe in the villain narrative… speaking of which…

Vietnamese Click botters…

One intrepid fellow decided that we were backed by some kind of click-bot farm and that there is no way the post made its way to the front page on its own.  I guess this type of thing is getting more and more common on reddit these days, but you’ll just have to trust us. We are all natural! To be honest, I wouldn’t even know where to start for that kind of thing. If only it were so easy!

THE UGLY

Random Trolly Crap (How big is your dick? Why do you suck so much? etc..)

Some people are just gonna troll no matter what.  I decided to take the opportunity to engage with them and have a little bit of fun while also answering their trolly questions as honestly as possible. I think the best way to handle stuff like this is head on, or just ignore it!  But I had already said I would answer every question and damned if I would break my promise to THE PEOPLE so ignoring them wasn’t really an option. One guy declared avendetta against us for some reason and began spamming our forums with trollisms prompting a forum ban. Some people just want to watch the world burn I guess…

How Did This Happen?

Alright, this is the million dollar question. Why?  Why this post, out of all the posts up there on any given day?  To be honest, I can’t give a definitive answer, it is as much a mystery to me as anyone else. However, we can perhaps shed some light on  factors that may have contributed to our success.

Not long after the AMA, Danny began doing research on just ‘how’ unlikely such a success was, because he’s weirdly curious about things like this. He ended up finding this blog post from datastories (https://blog.datastories.com/blog/reddit-front-page).  The article is pretty in depth, and definitely worth a read… but here’s the tldr; The ‘ideal’ reddit post with the highest likelihood of hitting the front page and staying there as long as possible has the following qualities:

Posted around 9:00 AM CHECK

A text based post (not a link) CHECK

Contains a number in the headline CHECK

Either OVERLY positive, or OVERLY negative subject matter. CHECK

Contains a ‘positive’ headline (as opposed to a neutral or negative headline) CHECK

Contains an image (This tends to give more upvotes but stay on the front page for LESS time.) NOPE

Text posts get more comments and stay on the front page longer. CHECK

From one of the following subreddits (funny, pics, gifs, todayilearned, gaming) NOPE

I want to stress here that we found this article after the AMA was already over.  However, as you can see, it would be believable for us to claim we used the post as a guide.  We fulfilled every criteria on that list that we possibly could (obviously an AMA cannot be submitted to the listed subreddits, and it cannot be an ‘image post’ because… it’s an AMA.) So yeah, dumb luck, a complete coincidence! Also the fact that our story happens to coincide very nicely with what reddit ‘wants’ to see.

I got the impression that many of the commenters dreamed of making their own game one day, that they were our ‘target audience’ in that they were predisposed to being interested in the story we were trying to tell.  Of course, our story was already pretty positive, and warranted a positive headline… and I think announcing in advance that we were planning on answering every single question was a very good idea since it generated a lot of participation.  My inkling is that a lot of people that might have skipped on the AMA or maybe just not left a comment changed their mind when they saw how many questions we were answering.  For once, they could be guaranteed that their question really was going to get a response.  I also suspect that Reddit uses comments in its placing algorithm, so the fact that we were getting a LOT of engagement must have helped us climb faster and stay relevant for longer. The average time a post spends on the front page is about 4.5 hours, but we were there for over 11, so we must have been doing something right!

As far as placing a number in the headline and posting it at the ‘exact’ right time… well that’s just a complete coincidence, since we didn’t know about that beforehand… but it seems like as good a place to start as any.

Finally, not to toot our own horn here but… the game is good, the trailer looks good, it is engaging, it looks professional.  We were in the right place, at the right time, with the right product! Surely, there is a ton of luck involved in something like this though, that’s something we recognize.

What’s Next?

The next installment of this blog-series will discuss the business impact of the reddit AMA. Just how effective is it to get to the front page of reddit? How much engagement does it generate? How many sales does it translate into? How many resources in terms of time and energy is it worth devoting to ‘the dream’ of hitting the front page as an indie dev?  The answer may surprise you!

However, I want to prepare you guys for a bit of a wait here.  We don’t want to release even generalized financial information about RotR quite yet. There will likely be a few articles on other topics before the next one in this series. Perhaps we’ll even start telling you a bit about the next project we’ve been cooking up!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic