Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:41:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Going with C++ w/ SDL2 and Code::Blocks
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Going with C++ w/ SDL2 and Code::Blocks  (Read 4188 times)
Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »

It is portable, it is just that stdafx won't be precompiled on other platforms, but it will still be #included like any other header file.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »

Look into Code::Blocks over Visual Studio. It's a little basic, as IDEs go but I find it's way less complicated than VS and doesn't steer you towards Windows-isms that make porting a pain, if and when you choose to. It's also, itself, cross-platform. Though, I guess VS is too now, isn't it? :D

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »

I loved C::B back in the day but after using Xcode and other hypermodern stuff it now feels so horribly deprecated and old and clunky to me. :f

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 07:10:03 AM »

Look into Code::Blocks over Visual Studio. It's a little basic, as IDEs go but I find it's way less complicated than VS and doesn't steer you towards Windows-isms that make porting a pain, if and when you choose to. It's also, itself, cross-platform. Though, I guess VS is too now, isn't it? :D

How does VS steer your towards windowisms?

VS isn't cross platform and it sounds like it never will be. It's made on WPF which while being an amazing gui framework, is enormously complex and bound to a lot of windows only tech. It sounds like both MS and the open source community feel it's too complicated of a problem.

While we're throwing out alternative IDE options, I've always liked KDevelop. It's project files are cmake files. That's pretty neat.

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »

VS isn't cross platform and it sounds like it never will be.

They probably mean Visual Studio Code, which is cross platform.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 09:16:59 AM »

Ah yes. Unfortunately the only thing VSCode has in common is the name. It's really just a modified version of Atom.

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »

Monaco, not Atom, but your point still stands - it is a different thing with a confusing name.
swipefaststudios
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »

So should I use Visual Studio or a different IDE for portability?
Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »

If you want to use the same IDE on every system, use something else. If you just want to port the resulting code, it really doesn't matter.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

They only meant that the IDE software itself is not written in portable code, meaning that you can't find the same IDE for multiple systems. This however does not prevent your own code from being portable.

swipefaststudios
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »

What IDE can be used on every system?
Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »

I like Eclipse.org OK.

Some other people already mentioned Code::Blocks.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

C::B is basically too buggy to use on OS X. It's literally broken. At least the last time I checked. I can't remember exactly what the problems were, tho, so while it's not suitable to work in, it might still be possible to open an existing project and get it to compile. But if you want to do it the Mac way, with an .app and everything, it's probably just for the best to compile in Xcode TBH. You'll have to read up on that yourself, but I think so at least.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »

Monaco, not Atom, but your point still stands - it is a different thing with a confusing name.

Ah my bad. Google is not helping me out here. Is monaco a fork of atom/electron or is it something completely different?

In regards to trying to run the same IDE on different platforms. Personally I'd elect to abandon that quest and a build system that will generate solution/project files for different ide's.

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

Ah my bad. Google is not helping me out here. Is monaco a fork of atom/electron or is it something completely different?

It uses electron (atom the app toolkit), but is not a fork of atom (atom the code editor). It's also the online editor for Visual Studio Team Services.
swipefaststudios
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »

This is a good tutorial I think for SDL
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/eclipse/index.php
For SDL2 here is one for eclipse as well!
http://zamma.co.uk/setup-sdl2-eclipse-windows/
Just posting it if anyone else needs it Smiley
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »

I was using codeblocks quite extensively for awhile, but only stopped just recently. Actually, in most ways, did an admirable enough job of everything that I needed it to.

However, I don't know if it's the way I've been coding, or what, but it became a ridiculous pain the ass to debug in codeblocks after awhile. I tried using a graphical debugger(Nemiver) to do the job, and it carried over none of the problems. No idea why since they both just interface gdb, but codeblocks didn't seem to have many or any relevant options in how it interfaced with gdb that I could use. Then again, there's a creeping suspicion that it might have something do with the way I'm coding even if I'm oblivious to what it could be, exactly.

So, for that reason, I don't know if I can really recommend it, personally. Then again, if you're running everything on Windows, you might not run into the same problem.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »

Yikes, I unintentionally started one of those IDE derails. Sorry, @swipefaststudios ^_^;

Use what you're comfortable with. As you can see there's dozens of choices. None of them are really the best. I suggest C::B mostly because it sounds like you're just getting your feet wet and therefore want simplicity over capabilities. It's totes your call.

Ah yes. Unfortunately the only thing VSCode has in common is the name. It's really just a modified version of Atom.

Yep, I was thinking of VS code. I thought it was a trimmed-down VS of some sort. My mistake.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »

This is a good tutorial I think for SDL
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/eclipse/index.php
For SDL2 here is one for eclipse as well!
http://zamma.co.uk/setup-sdl2-eclipse-windows/
Just posting it if anyone else needs it Smiley
Lazyfoo has tutorials on SDL2 too, just so you know.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »

It uses electron (atom the app toolkit), but is not a fork of atom (atom the code editor). It's also the online editor for Visual Studio Team Services.

Ah thanks, clear now Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic