Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:10:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Going with C++ w/ SDL2 and Code::Blocks
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Going with C++ w/ SDL2 and Code::Blocks  (Read 4217 times)
swipefaststudios
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:14 PM »

Yikes, I unintentionally started one of those IDE derails. Sorry, @swipefaststudios ^_^;

No problem, It's a forum haha.
agoacher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »

CLion is a great C++ IDE! You pay for it but it is awesome - also uses CMake as a project system.

Visual Studio is just all around a wonderful environment to write code in.  Yes it has "windowisms" and no it's not cross platform but while you're working in Windows it is one of the best development experiences you will have.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »

I see you've already picked, but just for the sake of letting you know about it, a fantastic C++ editor environment/IDE (kinda) is Sublime text and it's free clone Lime text http://limetext.org/

-Fuzzy Spider
swipefaststudios
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 02:25:51 PM »

I see you've already picked, but just for the sake of letting you know about it, a fantastic C++ editor environment/IDE (kinda) is Sublime text and it's free clone Lime text http://limetext.org/
Thanks I may check that  out!
I tried setting up SDL2 with eclipse but couldn't get it to work.
So instead I tried with Code::Blocks and it worked great after I watched a tutorial!
So I will start doing some coding tonight!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »

Just found and watched this nice overview of SDL2. It's easy to miss or forget about some of its features even after having used it for a long time, so it was a good watch. I didn't know that it has stuff to determine where to save files on whatever OS you are on, for example. Really nice to have that solved for you already. I've seen so many discussions on that here on TIGSource before.

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »

I love this video. Ryan Gordon is such a great speaker.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »

I've been using code::blocks ever since I tried installing visual studio and asking myself, "wtf is this installing? Nothing should take this long."

What does VS have, or other IDEs have, that code::blocks doesn't?

deathgreps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 09:09:39 PM »

I've been using SDL2 using C++ and a word of advice: SDL_Renderer will be just about {every,any}where you need a texture. I also suggest setting up smart pointers for the commonly used SDL structures (Surface, Texture, Renderer, Window, TTF (if you use SDL_ttf)). Makes things much easier in the long run.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »

I didn't know that it has stuff to determine where to save files on whatever OS you are on, for example. Really nice to have that solved for you already. I've seen so many discussions on that here on TIGSource before.

Shocked

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic