Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:48:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionVessel-IV [FINISHED FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Vessel-IV [FINISHED FINISHED]  (Read 24131 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:50:44 PM »

Vessel-IV

a game by muku

Download Windows (2.4MB): http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=61081
Source: http://www.box.net/shared/afo068nn87

Where possible, play at high volume.

CONTROLS

Use the mouse to move the thruster
controls in the cockpit of your vessel.

Click and drag in the center to move
both thrusters together, or on the sides
to move them separately.

OPTIONS

Edit config.ini to toggle fullscreen and
change the video resolution.

Old screenshot, from the original compo deadline:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:58:39 PM by muku » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

Oh wait, extended deadline?! That's what I get for not keeping up with the forum. Nevermind, I'll polish it a bit more and repost it then. Withdrawn for now.

EDIT: While I'm at it: is that screenshot too dark? It was fine on the laptop I made it, but it looks awfully dark on my screen here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:12:18 PM by muku » Logged
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:29:35 AM »

The interface is bright enough, but the rest of the screenshot is pretty dark.

In my experience, laptop screens are always washed out and thus make everything look brighter.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:20:25 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:08:11 AM »

The interface is bright enough, but the rest of the screenshot is pretty dark.

Reason might be that the game consists only of the interface :D

In my experience, laptop screens are always washed out and thus make everything look brighter.

I know, I hate that stuff. It makes everything look all flat and bland.

Thanks to the extension, I have time to make the cockpit look a bit nicer so that it's not just interface elements floating in black space; I guess I'll bump up the brightness a bit while I'm at it. After that intense last weekend, I have a certain sense of closure (burnout?) though as far as the game proper is concerned, so I don't think I'll muster the motivation to change much of the gameplay or levels anymore...

I'm kinda torn about releasing a short demo now; could help iron out some bugs/balance issues, but would lessen the experience for the final release maybe...?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »

New screenshot with some progress on the cockpit itself here. Old lady ain't gonna win no beauty contests, I can tell ya  Durr...?  But she has other qualities Well, hello there!

Holy shit, this is still very dark, isn't it? I really hate laptop displays.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:41:03 AM »

Final(?) version is up. Fixed that pesky Ogg problem, so download size is now reasonably small.

Understandably, there hasn't been much interest in this so far, what with it not having snazzy graphics for people to gawk at and get all excited over, but I hope some people will give it a try now and tell me what they think.

I'd rather not spoil what exactly it is you're piloting here as I like to think that figuring that out is part of the fun.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:13:02 AM »

this game contains an amazing amount (and quality) of cockpit!:o

loved the controls and the atmosphere lots. didn't get far in the game but I'll come back trying... what could those red dots on the radar be?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »

Yellow things fire red things when they spot you. Red things are nasty things that will chase you and hurt you. They turn slow, though. Run away.
Purple things are good things. Go to them.

I'm sort of regretting putting all the cool stuff towards the end of the game. Undecided

Also, I'll be away for a couple of days now and don't know whether I'll have any internet time, so I might not respond to comments.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »

It was pretty easy to figure everything out with no prior instruction.

I've only gotten a few missions in, but it's a pretty cool game. The defensive 'turrets' led to some tense situations where I just had to max the throttle and hope I wasn't going to fly straight into a wall.

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »

I like this.  The atmosphere is great, specially with headphones Smiley

The view in the middle felt a little useless though; it doesn't show anything that the map in the upper left doesn't show and is much slower to update, so I ended up just ignoring it and watching the map in stead.  (Though I didn't play all the missions yet, maybe it's more useful in later missions?)

Also, I wish the game had gamepad support.  Two analog sticks, one controlling the left thruster, second controlling the right one.
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

I just finished this, I think the sound design was especially good.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:18:01 PM »

The view in the middle felt a little useless though; it doesn't show anything that the map in the upper left doesn't show and is much slower to update, so I ended up just ignoring it and watching the map in stead.  (Though I didn't play all the missions yet, maybe it's more useful in later missions?)

The only thing it really adds are the yellow proximity sensors around it; those update instantaneously when you get near a wall, so they're handy when you are moving very fast in uncharted regions or when in tight spots. By the way, the radar isn't really slower to update than the map; in fact, the map is fed its input from the radar.

Apart from that, the radar was the first display I implemented, so it's more a case of me wanting to keep it rather than conscious game design. That plus I think it looks nicer than the plain map.

Also, I wish the game had gamepad support.  Two analog sticks, one controlling the left thruster, second controlling the right one.

That's a very good idea, I should really get myself one of those dual analog things one of these days... It's just that I play few games where I would want to use it, so I keep putting it off.

Thanks for all appreciative comments Smiley
ForTheUSSR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 07:39:36 AM »

I really like the atmosphere of the cockpit.  The control scheme takes a little to get used too, but it's pretty fun.  It gets pretty intense when the enemies start coming.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »

Very nice game, I love the atmosphere. I wanna know what happend at the and Sad.
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:44 AM »

Wonderful sound and shakes!  I've not felt so genuinely tense when playing a game in a long time. Forget analogue sticks, it needs to be wired in to the sliders of a mixing desk, and the mixing desk needs to be on hydraulic rams wired in to the game.

Did I mention I love it?
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »

This is terrific! I hadn't realised the radar was updated by raycast, that's probably a better use of the idea than I made. I think the sweep speed (and thus the degree of lag on the central display) is really well judged.

I got killed by the yellow things but I intend going back - I messed up by turning north for the first one without realising it was only alcove, then botched my escape.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 10:56:17 AM »

Very nicely done, great atmosphere, this is quite the cockpit game Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »

Thanks all! I'm so happy people are enjoying it!  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

Here's the source, if anyone's interested: http://www.box.net/shared/afo068nn87
It's not cleaned up yet, but I might not do that, so there.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »

I loved the atmosphere, very good use of audio I think. using the mouse to control the sliders was a little fiddly for me - perhaps having something like tank controls might work well (q/a left forward/back - e/d right forward/back).

I never found much use for the green monitor to the right, but the other two worked well.
good stuff  Beer!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 01:14:19 PM »

Nice atmosphere and the rumble is really effective. Like mjau I just ended up staring at the map on the top left (since it gave me an immediate feel for what was going on around me where the central display didn't), which I feel took me out of the game a bit.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic