Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:36:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRockabilly Head [PC / OSX Download!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Rockabilly Head [PC / OSX Download!]  (Read 22119 times)
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:21:38 AM »

Ok I've done an analysis of the game on my blog, as I'm not sure people got what I was trying to say with it... Contains all spoilers of course!

Click here: Superflat Games Blog - Rockabilly Head Analysis

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »

Heh, this is pretty cool Smiley Are these the same filters from Soundless Mountain?

I had a lot of trouble with the actual gameplay, to be honest - I'm pretty sure my rhythm was spot on (and the first one seemed to go well), but everyone else told me I failed and that my moves were useless! *maybe* it's just me, I dunno, but it seems like the actual measurements were out? In any case, I got what seemed to be the worst ending Sad

I like the idea behind the game a lot though, and the style and music is really cool!
Same here. I'm really sure that I hit it correctly but somehow I seem to be doing it wrong.  Lips Sealed
So you have to press a button everytime a new number shows up, which should simply be the meter of the song, is that correct?
PenguinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 09:22:55 AM »

I am having a ton of trouble with this. The game's "beat" very quickly loses sync with the beat of the actual music. I'm sure it's not me, I tested myself on another rhythm game. It's a shame because I really like the visual style and the idea, but it's pretty much just unwinnable Sad
Fuzz
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »

Hey, you're on Indiegames!
PenguinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »

I seem to have found the rhythm, but it's slower than the music or the onscreen action. I'm not sure what's causing that
mirosurabu
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

Very nice game, though some dialogues seemed a bit tiring to me. I'm doing very well with beatmatching. I can see that you have put some of your gaming-unrelated interests in it - like drum 'n bass music and beatmatching in general.

Good work. Beer!
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:13:27 AM »

Ooh that's nice.  Good 'ol Indiegames the Weblog. 

Miroslav, I'm glad you enjoyed the music.  It seems dance music's not mentioned much on TIGsource, but that was my life for ten years... so it's hard to leave behind!  I'm actually quite fond of the intro track, and might work some more on it (from a sample, I didn't even save any of the arrangements from this game.)   Was also fun jamming on the faster bluesy track.

I'm really sorry some of you are having problems with the dancing.  I'm using the only timer available to me in BlitzMax, Millisecs().

Here's the truly filthy sourcecode.  Can you see anything I'm doing wrong, programmer people?  The BPM for all songs is 160.  Each song has 2x12 bars = 24 x 4beats/bar = 192 beats.  They are 72 seconds long at this tempo, so that I calculate the length of a beat to be 72 / 192 = 375 milliseconds. I've hard-wired this figure into this code:

Code:

Local oscreenchange=screenchange
screenchange=True
Local starttime=MilliSecs()
SetChannelVolume musicchannel,1
Local beaten=False
Local lasttime=starttime
Local oldbeat=0
Local beatcount=0,obeatcount=0
Local rating#=0
Local rtext$=""
Local trail=0

starttime=MilliSecs()

player[0].mstate=ACUTSCENE

Repeat
Local timepassed=MilliSecs()-starttime
Local newbeat=timepassed / (375)
Local proximity=timepassed Mod (375)
If proximity>(375/2) proximity=375-proximity

beatcount=timepassed/375;
If beatcount<>obeatcount
g.anime=Null
g.play(Character(g).rocka1)
obeatcount=beatcount
EndIf
'Print"Beat!" ; 'Delay 1;
'beater=True
If (timepassed>lasttime+250)
beaten=False
EndIf
If Not beaten
If (lasttime<(beatcount-1)*375)
rtext="Miss!"
trail=0
EndIf
EndIf
If KeyHit(KEY_A) And beaten=False
player[0].anime=Null
If proximity<100
player[0].play(rock1)
Local thisrating#=Min((Float(100-proximity)/80.0 ),1.0)
rating:+thisrating
If thisrating>0.95
rtext="Perfect!"
ElseIf thisrating>0.75
rtext="awesome"
ElseIf thisrating>0.6
rtext="smokin'"
ElseIf thisrating>0.35
rtext="cool"
Else
rtext="weak"
EndIf
Else
player[0].play(rockfail1)
rtext="Fail!"
EndIf
beaten=True
lasttime=timepassed
If newbeat>oldbeat 'And beater=False

oldbeat=newbeat
beaten=False
EndIf
trail=0
EndIf

trail:+1

frames(True) ' update screen

bDrawText(String(((timepassed/375) Mod 4)+1),(player[0].x-screenoffset)-32,(player[0].y-screenyoffset)-(64*MULTI_PIXEL))
bDrawText(rtext,(g.x-screenoffset)-64,(g.y-screenyoffset)-((32+trail)*MULTI_PIXEL))
Flip(1)
Until (MilliSecs()-starttime>36000 )

Local thisrating#=(rating/Float(beatcount))

Besides this the only thing I can think of is Blitz' timers being inaccurate, or perhaps vsync being disabled on your machine (a problem with my framework basically.)

Anyway, we may never know.  I guess some computers just don't want ya to be a Rockabilly.

fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »

Nice one on the Indiegames blog site, whoever wrote that loved RB, and rightly so.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »

Hey! Sorry for the late feedback. I really enjoyed the aesthetic and general feel of the game.

Some bug reports: After talking to the second guy, the character's walking is not animated, so he seems to slide on the ground until you go out of that screen. The 'options' choice in the main menu does nothing.

The timing is a bit early, I found by comparing with the '1, 2, 3, 4' numbers. Also, the timing goes off if my computer's having trouble with the framerate, which it did before I cleaned it, as it was overheating. I like the idea, but it's very difficult as it is; I only managed to get the bad ending, I suppose. I'm on Windows XP here, by the way. I hope you manage to fix these problems at some point, because the game looks really interesting!

fullspectrum
Level 1

Rogue Harvester

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 02:41:52 AM »

I swear I can hit the buttons in time fine (like perfect on 95% of the beats) when I nod along to the tune (though I appreciate, agj, that you said 'looking at the numbers') - and I've played it on mac and a rubbish PC.

I'd say the only thing to improve on that aspect was mentioned earlier, just to have clearer visual feedback on how well you are doing.

Make RB 2 bro!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »

Hey you're on Bytejacker! :D
http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/032

twitter: @docky
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »

Wow that's nice of them... but Judith should have been on there instead, haha.  Hopefully next week!

JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

I like the concept and the visual style, but the dialogues are a bit long and lacking in content and no matter no many times I try I always fail the first rhythm test.  I'd suggest that the sync is off, except that I've never been good at rhythm games anyway.  LOL   Wink

I used to go to Yoyogi and watch those rockabilly dancers on Sundays, so this game brings back memories. 

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic