Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:53:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters  (Read 12721 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »

Trying to start an old-school FPS here and looking for some references. Of course I know all the most famous ones like DOOM, Quake, Goldeneye, Duke Nukem 3D, Half Life and Halo so I'm looking for some good stuff that I might have missed.

BTW I'm making something old-school but still 3D and trying to make good use of the 3D space so FPS with good use of verticality are very welcome. Smiley

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:53:52 PM »

Redneck Rampage had some badly executed but cool ideas and design.
Probably the 1st fps where you could get drink beer, get drunk with affected vision and weapon use.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »

BLOOD
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

Yeah, Blood. Plays like an old west saloon shoot-out only there's zombies and shit. Be prepared to cry a lot since it's really difficult.

WGRealms 2, Undying, Chex Quest 3, Descent 2 and Chasm: The Rift are worth checking out even if the last one is a bit shitty. You can blow the arms and heads off the monsters though and Back In the Day that's the only hook we needed. I think you can find Redline on GOG which was alright, it's basically Mad Max 2: the Road Warrior: the Game for all its worth.

so FPS with good use of verticality are very welcome. Smiley
It's not unknown but Jedi Knight is pretty much the ultimate game of verticality plus it's Star Wars which is very current again.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »

Kingpin is one of my favourites but it takes some learning as there's almost no tutorial about how to progress in the game. Deus Ex: Invisible War gets overlooked a lot. I don't think it runs on modern PCs but it was pretty dang cool imo. If you want good vertical play, play Prey, it had some cool spirit walking flying sequences iirc. For the Sega Saturn and Playstation 1 there was a game called Powerslave/Exhumed, the PC got a Doom clone that was fairly boring but with good art, but the Saturn version. Man what a game. You might also check out the Doom mod turned standalone Action Doom II: Urban Brawl, very old school with neat level design and cool weapon degradation system. Strife is also an old school shooter in the Doom engine, it's got more RPG elements though. Judge Dredd is a game I remember enjoying a whole heck of a lot. And if you haven't played Time Splitters 2 it's one of the all time greats, get an emulator. Star Wars: Dark Forces II is a personal favourite, it's got great movement and weapon feel.

And what FPS list isn't complete without mentioning William Shatner's Tekwar?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »

blake stone
catacombs
blood1
that lichtech engine game with the anime mechs (cant remember the name)

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »

WGRealms 2, Undying, Chex Quest 3, Descent 2 and Chasm: The Rift are worth checking out
Chex Quest 3
Wait, WHAT? Chex Quest was a TRILOGY???

*Google Search*

...why do I suddenly feel so empty inside? Crazy
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 06:11:17 PM »

Sounds like you need a delicious bowl of Chex to fill that hole.

That's Shogo. I was all like, woah anime, but then I realised that the giant robots feel more like giant men than giant robots. A bit of a missed opportunity there but the bits where you're on foot killing soldiers are incredibly fast and violent which is great fun.

Two more I just remembered; Strife (not the MOBA) which has a set-up that will be very familiar if you've played Half-Life 2 which is even more interesting seeing as it came out just after Quake did. If you were a fan of eighties cartoons as a kid you'll love this since the game world is like all of those fantasy meets super science franchises that were all over the place back then only with more full body explosions and vaporisation.

Requiem: Avenging Angel came out the year after Half-Life (I think) only the world that the expendable meat sacks that you're supposed to be helping has already gone to hell and those government troopers have power armour. Shoot at ridiculously chunky but incredibly well animated character models with nice looking but weedy weapons in boxy unpopulated levels but your Jedi Force powers Sadistic holy angel powers that let you shoot lightning, possess enemies, boil their blood which makes them look like the wobbly models in Quake 2 engine games and turn them into pillars of salt easily make up for that.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »

I played a lot of BLOOD when I was younger and I remember liking it a lot. Tried again recently and the first level is already pretty hard, the flare gun is weird at first and ammo is very limited, without finding the secrets you can't go very far.

Also remember liking Jedi Knight a lot but got really nauseous last time I tried to play it, it hasn't aged very well, gonna give it another shot thought.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »

Sounds like you need a delicious bowl of Chex to fill that hole.
This had indeed occurred to me... but I figured it wouldn't be as funny if I said it myself. Wink
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »

Oh I also remembered Gunman Chronicles, pretty much Half-Life in space.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »

Nerf Arena Blast is the best arena shooter of all time.

Magurp244
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »

There are quite a few each with their own interesting mechanics, i'm not sure which ones you may be aware of so i'll list some not mentioned so far:

-Wrath of Earth (circa 1995) A little known gem, you play as a commando sent to stop an invading alien force. It includes a few Puzzle elements, but the most interesting part is how your suit is solar powered, so to recharge all your weapons and shields you'll either have to scavenge power cells or search for a sweet, sweet light source. I think its built off the original Wolfentein 3D engine, so 0% verticality.

-MadSpace (circa 1997) Uses some trippy non-euclidean geometry and has some flight mechanics. I think its actually available on steam right now, it may only be in russian though but like doom there's not much talking and the gameplay is pretty straight-forward (shoot stuff, push buttons, get keys).

-BattleZone 1 (circa 1998) An alternate history game where the Allies and Axis fight for resources in space using hover tanks. The Battlezone series is a strange hybrid of FPS/RTS where you can construct bases, build allied tanks and either command or control them directly. The sequel BattleZone 2 (circa 1999) is also a great sequel that builds off the original with better base construction mechanics.

-System Shock 1 (Circa 1994) Your a hacker hired to remove the ethical restrains of the controlling AI of Citadel Station orbiting jupiter for a corp exec, in exchange you get a sweet Military grade cyber implant (and he doesn't kill you). Except when you wake up it looks like everyone was fed through a blender and the AI's talking like its developed a god complex. System Shock is considered an all time classic, if you haven't played it then go do it now. You should also definitely check out its sequel System Shock 2 (circa 1999), which many also consider to be a classic.

-Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (circa 1992) Also considered a true classic you play as the Avatar, wrongfully accused of a crime you did not commit, you are thrust into the Stygian abyss where you must rescue the Barons kidnapped daughter, or rot forever within its walls. The sequel, Ultima Underworld: Labyrinth of Worlds (circa 1993) is a little more linear than the first, but definitely worth checking out too.

-Quarantine (circa 1994) This game has you driving a heavily armed Taxi through a city, brutally mowing people over as you drive fares around for cash. You must complete various objectives to escape through the various gates and layers of the city to find freedom. (Dispite being a taxi, it does handle like a fps)

-ShadowCaster (circa 1993) You play as a shapeshifter traveling back to free his homeland from an evil force. Somewhat similar to Ultima Underworld in some respects, the shifting into different form's (including for inventory management) was pretty neat.

-Hexen (circa 1995) A prodigal sequel to Heretic (circa 1994, and which some may consider a doom clone with magic), the game features 3 different classes, hefty puzzles, and repeated travel between maps. Its sequel, Hexen 2 (circa 1997) is similar with 4 classes and built off the quake engine.

-Necrodome (circa 1996) Little known game of the time that features arena combat with vehicles that you can enter and leave, not terribly fantastic game but had interesting multiplayer for the time.

-Terminator: Future Shock (circa 1995) Play as a member of the Human resistence in 2015, and help prevent skynet from re-writing history. A pretty interesting take on the genesis  and evolution of the terminator series, you get to pilot vehicles, can enter buildings, and it has a pretty nice atmosphere. Its sequel Terminator: Skynet (circa 1996) is more of the same and is also worth checking out. Theres also Terminator Rampage (circa 1993) where you have to assemble a prototype PPC rifle to destroy a terminator, but unless you have the map from the manual you may want to steer clear of that one.

-Terminator 2029 (circa 1992) This one fits in a bit of a wierd place, technically its not a FPS, but it does sort of play like one. You shoot enemies that wander on to the screen like an arcade shooter, and move quickly across squares Wizardry style. Your armor and health can regenerate completely anywhere, but you'll need time to fix them (which terminators may not be inclined to give you). A pretty fun game that may be worth checking out for its weaponry and suit mechanics.

-CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (circa 1995) Another little known title made by Origin, it was originally packaged with its own comic book.

A few other honorable mentions would be: Alien vs Predator 2 (circa 2001), still the most kickass AvP game. Republic Commando (circa 2005) great FPS squad mechanics. Tron 2.0 (circa 2003) Takes place after the original Tron Film story wise, but also really great level design and digital environments.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:47:50 PM by Magurp244 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »

To be honest I think System Shock 1 is probably the better game than SS2. Or would be if the control scheme wasn't so archaic and clunky. Let's hope the remake turns out well.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:03 AM »

outlaws
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:05:31 AM »

vivisector: beast inside
devastation
xmen quake
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 02:15:54 AM »

-Quarantine (circa 1994) This game has you driving a heavily armed Taxi through a city, brutally mowing people over as you drive fares around for cash. You must complete various objectives to escape through the various gates and layers of the city to find freedom. (Dispite being a taxi, it does handle like a fps)

I went looking for this earlier and found this: https://www.unseen64.net/2009/05/24/taxi-driver-xbox-ps2-cancelled/

Who thought that would be a good idea?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »

Shogo mobile armor division
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 02:26:08 AM »

To be honest I think System Shock 1 is probably the better game than SS2. Or would be if the control scheme wasn't so archaic and clunky. Let's hope the remake turns out well.
The mouse look patch improves it but there's still a level of clunkiness present which is probably a side effect of the movement model. I just hope they do cyberspace better, that's what I'm most interested in seeing. I can 'do' flight sims, I can even handle Descent and Forsaken (ooh, there's another unfamiliar name) and they take place in maps that are even more claustrophobic but I can't for the life of me do anything with cyberspace in System Shock. I'm surprised that I even finished it.

How did you beat SS Silb, apart from being irradiated.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »

I didn't beat it Embarrassed

Main reasons I still think it's better than SS2 btw:

1. HISTORICAL CONTEXT. The game was insanely ahead of its time in 1994. It basically had all the elements common to modern FPS/RPG hybrids despite coming out the same year as the original Doom.

2. SS2 is a great game, but weapon durability is ridiculous and the stat system is downright broken. Even Ken Levine himself admits this. So SS2 has more mechanical flaws despite far better controls.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:06:56 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic