Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:08:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters  (Read 12931 times)
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2018, 05:34:06 AM »

Project Warlock is great. I've said it before but it's got the "I'm lost in a maze, but I know exactly where I am" feeling that the original Quake NAILED.

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »

As other people have stated, Chasm: The Rift is a damn good example. Had an impressive engine for the time and a much more refined story mode, visually felt like Quake 1 on steroids.

That and Terminator: Skynet were some of my favorite obscure shooters from the time. They all had a ton of mood, as most early shooters did with their limited draw distances and moody settings.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »

Hey this thread is still alive! Thanks everyone still answering it Smiley

I've tried playing Chasm recently and... it's weird. The engine is really impressive and very strange at the same time, the enemies are all 3D models but the maps seem to be tile-based like Wolfestein 3D, there are no different heights like in DOOM, I'm really not sure if it's polygon based or not.

Anyway, I don't think anyone listed Singularity, not that old (2010), but very underrated and pretty interesting game. Feels like a mix of Call of Duty and Bioshock.

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »

Anyway, I don't think anyone listed Singularity, not that old (2010), but very underrated and pretty interesting game. Feels like a mix of Call of Duty and Bioshock.

Yeah, man. Basically anything by Raven Software is worth looking into. :D

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »

Yeah, man. Basically anything by Raven Software is worth looking into. :D

Kind of hoping Raven someday gets back to making their own games as opposed to it's current status as an outsource studio for Call of Duty games. They deserve better! Used to be the indisputed FPS kings for a good spell.

Singularity's poor sales were the cause of them taking a step back it seems, although that game had a ton of fun ideas in it.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2018, 04:54:24 AM »

That and Terminator: Skynet were some of my favorite obscure shooters from the time. They all had a ton of mood, as most early shooters did with their limited draw distances and moody settings.
to me there's something intangibly wonderful about games that were in that weird transition period between 3d and "2.5d" fps games like future shock, skynet, and outlaws. like they have this simultaneous mix of at the time well developed and underdeveloped technology and its application to game design is a mix of good and bad, but it's a very distinct but brief era.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic