Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:55:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters  (Read 12913 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 03:21:16 AM »

It's easier to find your way around though and the colour schemes are more pleasing.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 03:53:25 AM »

there was a bad vietnam game with the build engine too
Magurp244
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »

I tend to prefer SS1 over SS2 for a few reasons as well, better puzzles, actual cyberspace, better plot, etc. A lot of people seem to interpret SS1's story as SHODAN going nuts, but when you read the logs in order of their dates, SHODAN doesn't actually start talking with a god complex until Diego plants the idea. It gives the impression that Deigo (even indirectly) controls or has influence over the AI, making SHODAN both a victim and a manifestation of his insanity. While I like SS2, the whole "Haha! i'm a God/Supervillan just because!" plot really chafed me after playing SS1. Also, the remake does look smexy.

Remembered a few others:

-The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (circa 1996) Another true classic, you can be a vampire, werewolve, own a house, horse, cart, and boat. Take on an infinite number of randomly generated quests, create custom spells and enchanted gear, or travel the vast (no really) continent looking for hidden points of interest. In many respects its better than its successors which have often left out or hobbled many of the elements and features of their predecessor. Being able to create a character to be alergic to sunlight, silver, and only be able cast spells at night, can make for some interesting fun.

-Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (circa 1996) A gem published by Looking Glass, you pilot a combat suit with up to 3 team mates through various missions to defend your home colony from being invaded by the Earths Hegemony government. There are various types of suits, weapons, and regions to go through that make it quite interesting.

-Spectre VR (circa 1991) A virtual land scape shooter that holds a number of secret warps, power ups, and other assorted fun. There were two other wire frame shooters similar to it around the same time period, but I just can't seem to remember the names or find any clues through google. T_T

-Cholo (circa 1986) In this game the world has been blasted to dust by nuclear fire. Thankfully you and a few others are safe in your bunker. Sorry, did I say safe? I meant trapped. You must hack various robots on the surface to explore and find a way to free yourselves from your dome prison so you might reclaim the surface. Playing the original might be a bit off putting, thankfully there's a faithful (free) remake made in 2005 lurking around.

-Metaltech: Earth Seige (circa 1994-1996) Before it became known as the Tribes Series, it originally started out as a series of first person mech warfare games similar to Mechwarrior. Both Earthseige and Earthseige 2 are interesting games where salvaging weapons and blasting mechs can be both fun and profitable. Both are available for free (with a few other later titles) off tribesuniverse.com.

-Marathon Trilogy (circa 1994-1996) This trilogy are largely regarded as the spiritual predecessors of the Halo series. It includes things like conversing with AI's, fighting aliens, and makes heavy use of story telling through terminals. If your interested in how it all began (or in mining what idea's they may have left out), it may be worth a look.

-Amulets and Armor (circa 1997) An atmospheric little adventure game with a number of classes and systems similar to Ultima Underworld, if your interested in a different perspective or examining some of the different approaches and asthetics its certainly worth a look.

-Shadow Warrior (circa 1997) Considered a (racist) clone of Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior has a number of interesting new mechanics for its time, including Sticky Grenades, and a bonafied Nuclear Warhead (protip: don't be in the same room, or zip code when firing). As to be expected it has similar style of humor to Duke Nukem. It recently got a remake in 2013, but the original is still worth checking out.

-Rise of the Triad (circa 1994) You play as a group of operatives hunting down cultists, with often frantic (and explosive!) rocket based results. This title also recently got a remake in 2013.

-Lands of Lore (circa 1993-1997-1999) This fantasy series involves various puzzle solving and combat elements throughout the game, and follows a similar genesis to the Terminator series 2029 to Future Shock in term's of mobility.

-Witchaven series (circa 1995-1996) Before Duke Nukem 3D, there was witchaven. Not a spectacular series (some consider it a heretic/hexen clone, but with swords), but if were fishing for forgotten titles, might as well mention it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:16:43 PM by Magurp244 » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »

immercenary, the geocities cideo game
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 12:19:24 AM »

kinda stretching the definition of FPS by including RPGs like daggerfall and lands of lore haha.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 01:07:45 AM »

Chaser

Pariah

Yeah.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 03:51:31 AM »

anyway outlaws was really good and probably the first game to have a sniper scope. i dont know if thats true and im not going to research it.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »

I still have the disc for Outlaws, it's one of my favorite FPS. I've heard someone saying that MDK was the first game to have a sniper scope but Outlaws is slightly older so I think it was the first one. Also, the art style is very cartoonish, which is something quite rare in the genre.

Funny how no one thought about making an Western FPS before it and very few do it to this day, the genres match so well.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 05:30:44 AM »

Used to hear that Goldeneye 67 was the first one to have a sniper scope but Outlaws was released 5 months priors in Mar 1997.

Gunman Chronicles and all i remember is that dinosaur face

Magurp244
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »

@Silbereisen
Perhaps, by todays standard I think they would likely fall under FPS/RPG hybrids. The criteria i'm using is only that the game predominatly contain real-time first person combat or gameplay. So while Daggerfall could be considered an RPG, movement, combat, and exploration are all dominantly first person, much like in System Shock and Ultima Underworld. The Lands of Lore Series are also dominant first person games with real-time combat, not necessarily in the traditional gun's sense, but nonetheless. I could have included Albion for example which has first person segments, but I think that would have gone too far out of scope since half the game is played from a top down perspective.

@Superb Joe
At first I thought Immercenary was a typo, quite the find there, heh.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:45:23 PM by Magurp244 » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 04:26:26 PM »

Funny how no one thought about making an Western FPS before it and very few do it to this day, the genres match so well.
smokin' guns is an amazing free multiplayer western shooter. we played a bunch of it like five years ago in tigirc and it was a blast.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »

I feel like Unreal isn't exactly unknown but it somehow feels overlooked. As far as 90s FPSs go it's pretty much perfect except enemies just have way too much health for some reason (probably wanted people to notice the AI) making the otherwise really cool guns feel unsatisfying.
The environments are great and the soundtrack is probably still the best in the genre
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:24:31 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »

That's usually something that bothers me but you only really fight three or so enemies max and it makes every fight feel like its own little deathmatch so I'm glad that every encounter is a life or death struggle. Specifically because it's deathmatch against the AI in that game. Besides, if you're going for headshots or using the shock rifle combo to knock enemies into pits or lava you'll enjoy the guns more.
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »

Nice find.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 12:44:33 AM »

Unreal got overshadowed by UT. It's the same thing that happened to the original Warcraft games when WoW got big. RIP.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:29 AM »

unreal 2 sucked shit
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:59 AM »

I feel like Unreal isn't exactly unknown but it somehow feels overlooked. As far as 90s FPSs go it's pretty much perfect except enemies just have way too much health for some reason (probably wanted people to notice the AI) making the otherwise really cool guns feel unsatisfying.
The environments are great and the soundtrack is probably still the best in the genre
i think it got more to do with the fact that and projectiles are slow and turn into slow spark animation on impact that makes it feel like bullet got teleported away.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 03:31:20 AM »

unreal 2 sucked shit
No, it didn't. It also has a story, that the first one lacked.

Yeah.
hakdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 04:20:02 AM »

Descent 2 and Forsaken have always been my all time favourite type of games, known today as 6DoF games. It's a genre  that's slowly been coming back to life over recent years.

I've just posted about the most promising one, Sol Contingency, which is out tomorrow Hand Clap

Love Descent Underground and looking forward to single player missions on that also Smiley
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 05:19:18 AM »

man that unreal 2 ending sucked balls
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic