Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:13:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters  (Read 12733 times)
JWK5
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 01:46:02 AM »

The only thing better than Turok: Rage Wars (N64) for console multiplayer FPS was TimeSplitters (though Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were on consoles at the time they were pretty terrible ports with horrific loading times).

The only thing that rivaled my enjoyment with TimeSplitters (PS2/XBOX) was Unreal Championship 2 (XBOX), which was drastically different from any Unreal Tournament game (more arena-like with 3rd person melee, air-dashing, wall-jumping, and on-the-fly switching between 3rd and 1st person gun shooting) and had a great single player story mode and killer multiplaye with tons of unlockables.

Why Epic has not broken it off into its own spinoff series and continued on with it is beyond me, just about everyone at the time loved the game and the note it hit multiplayer-wise still has not been tapped since.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »

if xbox is fair game then breakdown
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »

I got a ps2 way late so my perspective is perhaps warped but timesplitters is a barely playable game
I found the sequel really cool and fun though. Good coop gam

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Magurp244
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »

TimeSplitters 2 & 3 were great, don't think I've had the opportunity to play the first though. I particularly liked the art style of the series which was really expressive, varied environments, and wierd character models. Even though its not a FPS, Second Sight was another one of their games that was also really good that shares the same art style. Kinda makes me sad that TimeSplitters: Rewind is basically vaporware.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »

timesplitters 2 is one of the best "party fpses" ever made. so much fun with friends.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

Started playing Strife which I had never before. The new version that's out on Steam, not sure how much different it is from the original (it's supposed to have only better graphics and controls). It's not a bad game, pretty impressive for a 1996 game running on the DOOM engine but as a shooter it's just OK and as an RPG.. well.. it's cool how the levels are contextualized as quests but calling this an RPG is a little too much IMO, I'm ashamed to admit that I miss some sort of quest log cause I never remember what I'm supposed to do, so I just go around pressing buttons and looking for places uncovered in the map like I would in DOOM. Some levels can be hard to navigate and the pacing in the action is not very good, specially when you're used to more action based shooters like Quake and Duke Nukem.

Still, not a bad game, in fact I think I'm gonna finish this one.

Magurp244
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »

Strife actually has multiple endings, depending on some of the things you do (or don't do). Just be sure to explore everywhere, you can usually use the minimap and the "W" key for mission objectives (assuming the keys are the same as they were in the original version).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »

idk why anyone would call strife the "original" fps/rpg anyway, seeing as, y'know, system shock is a thing.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »

Oh right
I never played conspicuously Quake engine game Chasm: The Rift (what a dumb title) but I saw some youtube videos and it looked really cool for how little I've ever heard about it.

Does Sin qualify for this thread? I remember thinking it was pretty neat at the time.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »

yeah Sin wasn't that bad.

It has a great multiplayer map inspired by Escher's Relativity.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »

I never played conspicuously Quake engine game Chasm: The Rift
Chasm isn't Quake engine, not even conspicuously.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »

Whoa. Sure as heck looked it to me at a glance :u

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »

I can understand why someone would think that it's Quake engine but when you stop for a bit and look at the maps you'll notice that there isn't a lot of 3D going on. There are walkways in some of the maps but you can't move under them, it's pretty fake. Duke Nukem 3D maps are more 3D which is a bit of a problem.

I tried mapping for the game once but the documentation wasn't very helpful so I got kinda lost even though it looked like the easiest thing to use. You just click on a grid line and it puts a wall down and you can create room by clicking and dragging but if you want to make a wall at an angle other than 90 degrees you have to put one down then move the vertices about which was bizarre coming from Doom mapping which is the easiest thing to make rooms out of odd shapes in. It's all top down, you can paste floor and ceiling textures down in cells (I think that's how you do it), you can whack lights in so it's kind of in-between a proper 3D game and a sector based one and there are prefabs for the details presumably walkways too but I couldn't find those. And then after all of that my maps wouldn't load in the game and I got fed up and went back to Doom. I imagined that this is what making maps for console games would've been like at the time with the cell thing but I was a no good teen then who couldn't work out how to map for a game that should've been easy to.

But hey, you can blow the arms off the monsters and the final boss looks like some Lovecraftian horror so it's still a cool game.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2016, 11:41:57 PM »

the final boss looks like some Lovecraftian horror so it's still a cool game.

Haha you sure it's not Quake?

Also I have a question: As we all know, most of the old id Software shooters, and especially Quake are fast enough to make Sanic the Hubcap look like a snail crawling through molasses. I'm a bit of a late comer to these games because my family didn't have a PC until 2002ish so I've only ever played them on systems that were way overpowered for them. Were there any PCs in 96 that could run Quake at max framerate or did most people back then experience a much slower version of the game?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:34:05 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 12:17:36 AM »

You'd need a reeeaaal high-end system to get 60fps back in 1996. Try a NeXTSTEP and loads of RAM or maybe you'd like to buy a small country instead. I mean, just running Quake in DOSBox right now without actually configuring it properly for the experience and I averaged 19.6 fps. At 320x200 res. Mouselook isn't on, it's 1996 all over again. You were probably going to be getting less than that on a Pentium 100 with 8MB of RAM. I had that and when I finally upgraded to 16MB I got a few more frames and there was a guy up the street who had a better PC who probably got even more than that. You wouldn't have wanted to alert the framerate police you were glad you could actually run the game. Oh boy it was great when GLQuake was released and I had a Voodoo 2 card and a system that was worth a shit but that was after Quake 2 and a lot of people had moved on.

Aww shit, I just realised that I've been playing Quake since Qtest. Over the phonelines which is one of those fifteen miles through the snow things.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:48 AM »

Does the movement speed really depend on the framerate?

I remember playing qtest in the college computer room at 320x200. Like in Doom, you could make it  render the 3d view only in a small rectangle in the middle of the screen, which you could shrink until it ran smoothly.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »

It's framerate agnostic. It's not like a console game (zing!) or nothing.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 06:56:24 AM »

Back in 1996 I was 11 and didn't care about framerate so I have no idea, all I remember is that I had fun with it. I remember a lot of friends buying graphic cards just to play Quake on a higher resolution, having a dedicated video card back then wasn't the standard like it's today.

Also, I remember playing multiplayer Quake with more than 20 people and pretty much no lag on 56k. Sounds like black magic today.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:09 AM »

Since people here where talking about it, gave a shot at Chasm. I remember playing it in 1997 and all I remember about it is that it was bad. It's actually not that bad, but very bland and with a confusing level design. Got stuck on the second level and decided to just look it up on youtube, in the only video I found, the guy also got stuck for around 10 minutes in the same place.

Dismembering enemies is pretty cool thought, very advanced for it's time.

And the engine is a mystery to me, everything is poligonal but the maps are not really 3D, they don't even have height variation, almost like Wolfenstein 3D. So my guess is that the level is rendered with raycasting like Wolfestein but the objects in the game use polygons... is that even possible?  Huh?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »

it looks like its all polygonal, i think they just wrote simple top down tile editor to design levels so multilayer geometry is not possible.

also it started out as actual sprite based game so it may carried over through the entire development. i think it may have been in development alongside quake.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic