Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:40:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnderrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Old First Person Shooters  (Read 12912 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2016, 02:51:53 PM »

Dude, trigger warning. I've had that successfully repressed for years and I don't need it coming back.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »

That's curious and a very weird design choice. Running the game using dosbox and it gets very slow if I turn the resolution up to 640x480 (playing on 320x240), so they might have choose to make the maps like that for performance reasons...  Huh?

Well, Quake was released one year before so the game was very likely in development alongside it. I think it's possible that after Quake was release they decided to add polygons to it but there wasn't enough time/money to remake the maps and/or optimize the game for it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »

I think it's possible that after Quake was release they decided to add polygons to it but there wasn't enough time/money to remake the maps and/or optimize the game for it.

that seems very very likely actually. a lot of the weapon and enemy models seem rather *quake inspired*. it even uses a similar font.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »

That's curious and a very weird design choice. Running the game using dosbox and it gets very slow if I turn the resolution up to 640x480 (playing on 320x240), so they might have choose to make the maps like that for performance reasons...  Huh?
To be fair everything was slow under DOS when you tried running it at 640x480.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »

what about those pcs with a turbo button
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »

Loved Marathon. Predecessor to Halo and way darker story. Crazy cool weapons too.. double shotgun, randomly firing alien laser.

I hear lots of people talk fondly of Goldeneye but the successor, Perfect Dark was IMO much better campaign. Fun layouts, new weapons each level and good AI (for the time). 2P co-op and 2P counter-op (Player 2 played a random enemy on the level). You could do 4P multiplayer + bots.

Forsaken 64: Move in 3-axis as a floating hover bike in crazy deathmatches and a difficult campaign. This level has an impossible geometry (this was WAY before Portal!)

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter had fantastic campaigns: You could play either side, pick your role in the fight (where you spawned and your objectives) and switch up your ship for difficulty variety. Interesting controls let you split your power between speed, lasers & shields and backspace let you "match speed" with your target. Very interesting gameplay and it even had online multiplayer! I miss this one..

tremulous.net SADLY no longer up. The crowd successor, https://github.com/Unvanquished/Unvanquished no one seems to ever play. Amazing asymmetric FPS with interesting upgrade mechanics: Upgrading always made you stronger but with some new weakness.. (bigger target as the aliens, more often reloads or slow-moving projectiles for humans). You could power down your base and do a "move", rebuilding anywhere in the 3D arena. Tons of fun in the teamwork department and the lightning-speed combat had many tricks to it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »

I hear lots of people talk fondly of Goldeneye but the successor, Perfect Dark was IMO much better campaign. Fun layouts, new weapons each level and good AI (for the time). 2P co-op and 2P counter-op (Player 2 played a random enemy on the level). You could do 4P multiplayer + bots.

perfect dark was better but goldeneye was more popular due to famous IP and being pretty much the first console exclusive FPS that was actually good. also it was probably THE most fun splitscreen games when it came out.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »

I have good old memories with Descent, Hexen, Heretic, Star Wars Dark Forces, Alien Trilogy and Medal of Honor 2: Underground.

To me, those were good games.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »

I have good old memories with Descent, Hexen, Heretic, Star Wars Dark Forces, Alien Trilogy and Medal of Honor 2: Underground.

To me, those were good games.

Descent fan aye? Look for a copy of Forsaken 64 at your local game store! It's like Descent but much faster Smiley

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »

I never really got the goldeneye craze, I had it back when it came out and beat the game but couldn't really get into it, just seemed so overshadowed by Quake2, dark forces, Descent, and Duke3d, and I was already well into playing online multiplayer back then so the split screen really didn't do it for me. (anyone else remember setting up lobbies in Kali for Descent or some C&C?)

Heh, fond memories of those games and playing them online, that's when i made my username i still use, my first time signing on i needed to set an alias for playing in game and was watching Jurassic Park on VHS at the time, thought the raptors were cool so i stuck with it ever since :D

-Fuzzy Spider
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »

goldeneye does compare very poorly to its contemporaries and the only reason it was popular was that nintendo kids thought it invented the genre

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:30 PM »

Goldeneye is a good game but a big part of the hype is due to it being the first FPS game on consoles with decent controls. Most FPS on consoles at the time were just low quality ports of PC games while Goldeneye was made with the N64 in mind.
There were a lot better FPS on the PC and I also didn't get the craze at the time.

I think something similar happened to Halo later.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »

and I was already well into playing online multiplayer back then so the split screen really didn't do it for me. (anyone else remember setting up lobbies in Kali for Descent or some C&C?)

online and local mp are very different experiences tho. sure you could get local mp on pc via lan but the logistics involved often made it not worth it.

is goldeneye a good "competitive" fps? no. is it a good "party" fps? YES. same goes for its spiritual successors, perfect dark and timesplitters.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »

ur wrong: I can't remember a single lan party that wasn't worth it despite heavy lifting and snarled cables

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »

Lot of good memories from Lan parties.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »

god i miss lan parties, those were the days, seemed like it was just that much more satisfying BECAUSE everyone lugged over huge full tower cases and hundred lb gaming CRT's,lol  But man when the fragging and shittalking started, especially if doing a 8v8 teams or such...good times

-Fuzzy Spider
NineTattooedDragons
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »

Project Reality. There are still a ton of people playing it. Started as a Battlefield 2 mod, but went standalone free not too long ago.

For a great classic, Delta Force 2 takes the cake. I used to love that game. It had endless maps that let you find your own way to attack bases. The multiplayer was also really good.

ShuyanSaga.com/
Magurp244
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »

I rather enjoyed Delta Force 2 more than any other of the entrants in the series, the voxel terrain, grass, and chamo suits with the general feel of the terrain was really nice.
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2016, 05:26:36 AM »

Goldeneye is a good game but a big part of the hype is due to it being the first FPS game on consoles with decent controls. Most FPS on consoles at the time were just low quality ports of PC games while Goldeneye was made with the N64 in mind.
There were a lot better FPS on the PC and I also didn't get the craze at the time.

I think something similar happened to Halo later.

I disagree. Both Goldeneye and Halo are exceptional, revolutionary games even after stripping away the hype and the fact that yes, they were coded and customized strictly for the consoles.

Goldeneye was a heady mix of many different elements, shooting itself just one of them. You had stealth, open levels, various gadgets, mission objectives, great vibe and story. And that was something sorely missing in PC games from the era. Sure, there were better "pure shooters" on PC, especially MP wonders like Quake and Descent or fun romps Like Duke or Doom, but nothing like Goldeneye (maybe System Shock, but this one is in a league of its own)

And Halo...well, perhaps one of the most underrated games ever when judged nowadays, dismissed as a generic console shooter with some aliens. It`s amazing how many PC gamers who consider themselves FPS connoisseurs missed out on it because of that ol` stubborn "we wuz robbed by M$, console garbage, blah blah" beef. Lol. I was even in this camp myself for a while but finally got swayed by friends and that 10/10 Edge review. Also another chunk of people missed out on its awesomeness by not playing on Legendary - this difficulty was a literal game changer.

To be honest I think Halo`s legacy has been wasted over the years - I can`t think of an SP focused FPS as good as this game. Its major asset was the groundbreaking AI, which made the game alive and countless hours battling for a single checkpoint well worth it, because it was never a chore, more of a chess/roguelike FPS flavour where you had to carefully manage your resources and employ actual tactics to handle the Covenant.

Add to this mindboggling gfx/sfx, unheard-of huge, open levels, and amazing vehicles and no wonder it was a winner. In 2001 freakin` one. Let me just say I replay it every year or two and still have fun, meanwhile Half Life 2? Finished once and forgot about it.

For the record: I grew up with microcomputers, later PCs and was a competitive Quake2 player for a few years, so no console kiddo, if I say so myself.

And oh, 1st post here, so Hi folks! ;)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »

Halo is pretty good, don't get me wrong. Not underrated nor unknown but I've playing the series recently and finding it quite fun.
The AI is really impressive, both for enemies and allies, it was the first FPS that I've played where I felt that the other soldiers were also fighting the battle and trying to help you. Medal of Honor already had allied soldiers helping you but they felt very cosmetic, they never killed anyone as far as I remember.

Vehicle driving AI is still awful though, even on the newer games.

Now one thing that I find very unique on Halo is it's level design, it's not really open ended like a DOOM level but also not as straight as COD, it's somewhere in the middle. A lot of small open ended battlefields that you follow in a linear fashion. Maps also seem to always have a lot of empty space, everything seems big, I guess that's because some of them are made with vehicles in mind but even the closed areas feel empty.

Gonna try to replay Halo on legendary to see what the fuzz is about. Thanks for the tip.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic