Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:22:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow do you forum?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: How do you forum?  (Read 1308 times)
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:55:59 AM »

Until recently I've been using forums strictly for research. Now that I'm trying to be active and stay in the loop I'm realizing that I don't really know how to forum. My problem stems from the fact that I don't want to miss out on anything.  I want to be able to see all of the conversations and projects that you lovely people are working on, but with hundreds of posts coming in every day, I can't keep up. How do you guys manage? Shrug
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:00:15 AM »

Just pick out the things you find interesting and follow those?
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:20 AM »

Just pick out the things you find interesting and follow those?
I have done that before, but then I feel like I'm missing out on what ever else there is out there.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »

what are you so afraid of missing out?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:19:22 AM »

i operate a tiered irony system, with most creative energy going towards things i care about or will get paid for, the next tier is trolling another, different web site, then trolling this web site, then the twitter web site
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »

Ok, so I personally tend to just stick to the conversational topics, so I spend a lot of time in general and games. And due to the metric ton of content being updated daily, I very rarely visit the devlogs and feedback. However, whenever something interesting happens in the developer subforums, I always check it out. I feel like this is a good guideline.

Also, if you feel like you're missing out on all the devlogs, keep in mind that most of the good ones are discussed elsewhere too, so you shouldn't have trouble keeping track of the most important ones. Besides, don't worry about all this too much, this is an internet forum after all, and everyone knows that the true purpose of this site is to ProgramGamerPost shitpost :^)

kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:05:41 AM »

what are you so afraid of missing out?

Mostly changes in the industry and connecting with people. I have a 9-5 job and don't like the fact that I'm missing 8 hours worth of stuff every day.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:26:28 AM »

show new replies to your posts

AnotherPlace
Level 0

Seize The Day

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »

Make a list of keywords that interest you the most about gaming.

Do a search every few days for those keywords.

Subscribe to those threads. Set up a bookmark on your phone so you can easily open threads anywhere. On your break at work even. It's all about ease of access. Make it as easy for yourself. I'm by all means not a master at this myself but this seems like the most obvious pathway to consuming as much forum content as humanly possible.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?action=recent

Just check this link religiously and you won't miss a single post.
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?action=recent

Just check this link religiously and you won't miss a single post.

Cool, thanks for the tip!
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »

Ok, so I personally tend to just stick to the conversational topics, so I spend a lot of time in general and games. And due to the metric ton of content being updated daily, I very rarely visit the devlogs and feedback. However, whenever something interesting happens in the developer subforums, I always check it out. I feel like this is a good guideline.

Also, if you feel like you're missing out on all the devlogs, keep in mind that most of the good ones are discussed elsewhere too, so you shouldn't have trouble keeping track of the most important ones. Besides, don't worry about all this too much, this is an internet forum after all, and everyone knows that the true purpose of this site is to ProgramGamerPost shitpost :^)

So it sounds like it's more or less impossible to keep up with everything and you wouldn't necessarily want to. That makes me feel a little better.

However, whenever something interesting happens in the developer subforums, I always check it out.
How do you know when this happens? Do you stumble upon it or is it something that gets in your face if you're on the forums enough?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »

Well, the icon of a subforum turns blue and dances around when a thread is updated, so that's how I know. Also, if you click on the blue icon (not the text) you see every thread that got posted in recently since you last checked.

kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »

Just wanted to say thank you to all who replied, your responses and insight helped me out quite a bit!  Gentleman
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »

You're gonna go crazy.
Or turn into Melly.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
boomlaz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »

I usually just lurk
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

I usually just lurk

Same. I very rarely post here.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »

trying to read every forum post is like trying to identify every piece of sweetcorn in the human turd that you're eating
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 12:15:46 AM »

Same. I very rarely post here anymore.
Fify. You have a post count of 25000+. You must have posted a lot more in the past.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 12:38:46 AM »

No, I almost never post here.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic