Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:43:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFinal Fantasy Tactics A2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Tactics A2  (Read 4608 times)
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »

I'm willing to bet this will be the sexiest pixel-art game on the DS for a looooong time. *drools*

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/19511.html

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:31 PM »

Oh man, I saw a kid being sucked into a book again. The opening scene where your character gets sucked into a final fantasy book pretty much ruined the first gameboy fft for me. I tried to block the fact that I was in a book out of my mind the whole game, but i couldn't do it, its just too corny.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »

Shocked

Mhh, they could've made the book an evil tome of darkness that feeds on the souls of the children it captures and forces to fight in endless battles with the flesh eating demons of the eternal night...just like in 'The Neverending Story 3'.
PowRTocH
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »

I'm willing to bet this will be the sexiest pixel-art game on the DS for a looooong time. *drools*
I hope not. The Final Fantasy Tactics series has degraded so much, from a nice, mature-ish, and beautiful game, to a series with mediocre gameplay, retarded story, and fugly character design, and it did so very quickly.

Although the trailer definitely is a step forward from the GBA version graphics wise, it doesn't change the fact that it took about five steps back.

Nice to see the epic summons though. Wink
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »

I hope not. The Final Fantasy Tactics series has degraded so much, from a nice, mature-ish, and beautiful game, to a series with mediocre gameplay, retarded story, and fugly character design, and it did so very quickly.

Although the trailer definitely is a step forward from the GBA version graphics wise, it doesn't change the fact that it took about five steps back.

Nice to see the epic summons though. Wink

What!? I loved Final Fantasy Tactics! Admittedly the story wasn't too hot and the gameplay got a little repetetive but I loved that game. I especially don't see how you can criticize the character design.
The only thing I hope they fix in this one is the multiplayer which was a huge disappointment for me! I can't believe they missed the obviously awesome possibility of people fighting their clans against each other!
PowRTocH
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics!
Me too. Just not Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced.

To each their own I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:42:34 PM by Cow » Logged
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:15 PM »

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics!
Me too. Just not Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. Wink

To each their own I suppose.

Whoops!
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »

I'd like to see more serious SRPG games, but I suppose it's not a genre that lends it self to that particularly well. While Stella Deus was quite nice to look at and a decent enough game, the fact that it took itself seriously also meant that it lacked the outlandish style of Disgaea or the massive attacks of the Tactics/SRW series.

I do like the Tactics games though. Advance was cheerful, and I think that worked well for the pick-up-and-play style of a portable console. It devoured most of my free time during college days for sure. I'm not sure how I'll find A2, as there maybe a little too much in the way of repetition from A1. Who knows? Can't wait to find out though..
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:02:17 PM »

Does it really qualify as a pixel art game? Only the sprites are done so.
Backgrounds are definitely not.
And, on the subject of sprites. They're far too saturated.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »

One thing though; most characters seem to be FFT sprites remakes (see March-FFTA hero and Ramza from psx), which is fine for newcomers to the serie, but at what point do you get tired of buying 'remixes'? I was initially interested in the new castlevania for ds, but I quickly realized that it was (again) massive recycling of old sprites mixed with some new stuff that, since it was made with a different technique, did'nt fit too well with the old art. What happened to all the funky sprite artists who were making original game art in the 80-90's? They can't be all retired. I know it's cheaper for a game company to outsource its 2d products, but what about the love..?

edit: I saw this earlier, on insertcredit. Made my day, new stuff is exciting
http://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/ds/ituwari/character.html
I know it's not the same resolution, but, these look so fresh and crispy!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:34:36 PM by Lurk » Logged
RangerSheck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:00:28 PM »

I loved FFTA for a couple weeks but got bored with it pretty quickly. A more compelling storyline probably would have helped (or at least one that wasn't so uninspired).

I definitely dig the SRPG style of gameplay tho, so I will probably end up buying this when it comes out in the US - I keep looking for that killer DS title. I haven't been really into any DS games since RocketSlime - that's been the only DS game I saw through to completion. The rest have all been good for a couple weeks and that's all I can take.

Pioneers of Aethora - Browser-based RPG: http://aethora.com
Ranger Sheck's Blog: http://rangersheck.com
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »

Does it really qualify as a pixel art game? Only the sprites are done so.
Backgrounds are definitely not.
And, on the subject of sprites. They're far too saturated.

I reckon you've just stumbled upon a shitty screenshot for checking. Tongue

The interiors are probably fully hand-drawn (as they were in FFTA on the GBA), I'm pretty sure the levels are built out of pixel-style tiles. Albeit with a healthy colour count. Of course until we see some native-res non-jpg screenshots I guess we won't know for sure.

Also, there's no such thing as "too saturated". Wink

Oh, and from a gameplay point of view, yes, FFTA is vastly inferior to FFT. The job system was utterly borked and the law system was a bad addition. Apparently the law system is a lot more interesting this time around, but I await with dread to see if they've kept the horrible job system they changed to.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
idiotmeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »

The graphics look far better in this iteration.  The last installment looked like a bunch of rehashed Tactics Ogre graphics, with some FF-ish alterations.

Speaking of which, there better be a new installment of the Ogre Battle series.  It was fantasgreat.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »

Does look sexy. Slopes as well! Slopes!

Will have to wait and see how the gameplay varies from Advance though, as I've played most of that (I think I have a couple of missions left, very much doubt it'll ever get finished now though).

What I'm wondering is if they'll have stylus control, and if it'll be any good. Advance Wars DS' stylus control was a bit rubbish IMO, I just used the dpad and buttons after the first couple of turns of battle.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 12:04:25 AM »

Nopers, the stylus ain't used at all, apparently.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic