Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:51:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAre you tired of Zelda being described this way? - IGN Review
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Are you tired of Zelda being described this way? - IGN Review  (Read 3625 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

Well it's not entirely wrong for the first zelda

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

Was Knigthmare (1986)  released before of after Zelda?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »

*cracks knuckles* Damn those IGN bastards are gonna pay for writing about Zelda the wrong way
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

I think of Zelda as a top-down arcade (melee) shoot-em-up.
yup

Knightmare January 1986 
Zelda February 1986

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »

knightmare isn't even slightly similar to zelda. tower of druaga (which is a top down arcade game but not a schump) would be a better comparison.

i think it makes more sense to think of LoZ as a streamlined realtime rpg with much better action design than earlier attempts tho. i mean play xanadu or hydlide and then compare them to LoZ.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 01:50:06 AM »

It doesnt matter.
People call games clones as dismissive hyperbole. Its usually pretty worthless. People here used to call games Cave Story clones, it was a just a harmless meme tho. It came from how cave story inspired so many people to get into making indie games, that a lot of peoples' first games looked a lot like it. People didnt reaaaally mean it usually...

Most of the time this sort of talk when serious comes from a lack of understanding of the subtleties of the games being
talked about, and thats it. Its just ignorant.
People who don't understand or like fighting games will probably say they are all the same. Racing games, first person shooters, sports games, etc. Reductionist dismissive smug shit talk from cynics. Its boring. Its Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation-boring.
If you cant tell how games in a series are different and are not willing to read up about it before writing, your article is probably not going to be very insightful.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 08:16:07 AM »

Its Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation-boring.
His opinion pieces are actually pretty insightful. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »

i guess, but his reviews are really obnoxious. i mean not so much the reviews themselves, but the fact that he was one of the people who popularized the notion that snarky cynicism and nitpicks = good criticism in "gamer culture".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:22:44 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

i guess, but his reviews are really obnoxious. i mean not so much the reviews themselves, but the fact that he was one of the people who popularized the notion that snarky cynicism and nitpicks = good criticism in "gamer culture".

What happened to video games being part of geek culture? I only started saying gamer when I found out everyone else was.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:07 AM »

I think penny arcade are more to blame for pioneering that shit

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »

wasn't it AVGN aka angry video game nerd?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »

avgn is more obviously comedy and is much more self depreciating in his videos. he also doesn't use snark a lot. yahtzee has this whole passive aggressive smarmy shtick that has really caught on with forum posters. also i think zero punctuation might be older than avgn but don't quote me on this.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »

checked on wikipedia
avgn: 2004
zp: 2007

Put things in perspective, Avgn lauch the trend imho even though the format evolved into more edgy

BUT zp is responsible for the format of "extra credits" which is like the best side of nerd video

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »

oops i didn't realize avgn is that much older. i was definitely not aware of him before 2007 or so, so i always kind of assumed zp and avgn came out around the same time.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »

Penny arcade is from like 1992 so my suggestion wins

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »

i guess
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »

have you guys seen the funny thing the zero punctuation guy wrote about how sex is like spam because his floppy boner doesnt work or whatever
AnotherPlace
Level 0

Seize The Day

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

The only games I'd truly call Zelda clones are Landstalker and the first Alundra. You need to collect items to progress, collect hearts for extra life and both feature a young blonde lad in a strange land.

Most of the others just use similar elements and to me, seem to get lambasted and underrated regularly. It's unfortunate. You take out the very small RPG-like elements Zelda has and it becomes a linear "action" game. But somehow gets more attention for not being a clone.. I think maybe also, FPS or strategy games are hypnotic to the point you don't realise they're all very similar. So the bromines at IGN, who it seems froth on these notions, reflect this in their reviews. Very loose theory though, major possibility of being false .

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »

The only games I'd truly call Zelda clones are Landstalker and the first Alundra. You need to collect items to progress, collect hearts for extra life and both feature a young blonde lad in a strange land.

Most of the others just use similar elements and to me, seem to get lambasted and underrated regularly. It's unfortunate. You take out the very small RPG-like elements Zelda has and it becomes a linear "action" game. But somehow gets more attention for not being a clone.. I think maybe also, FPS or strategy games are hypnotic to the point you don't realise they're all very similar. So the bromines at IGN, who it seems froth on these notions, reflect this in their reviews. Very loose theory though, major possibility of being false .
this is the actual zelda clone:

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »

I think this whole problem with so many games being labelled "clones" of other games is just a product of video games being so young that it is easy to trace the direct influence of works, which all media does, Star Wars is a Hidden Fortress clone for example.

Zelda in particular also has the "issue" of being probably the best series in its genre -except maybe gooftroop  Wink- so every game that is even kind of like it sits in its shadow.

Basically, people are probably going to say that certain games are heavily influenced by Zelda for a long, long time. Because
A: they probably were and B: its Zelda

Think happy thoughts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic