Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:11:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAre you tired of Zelda being described this way? - IGN Review
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Are you tired of Zelda being described this way? - IGN Review  (Read 3623 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »

conclusion we need more zelda clone ... ie top down metroidvania with puzzle dungeon.

The problem is that most clone don't feel like zelda at all, they have lackluster puzzle dungeon design and tend to focus on BASIC combat, collecting and lock and key. Combat in zelda isn't complex but they are small puzzle too, they vary pattern, clone don't do that, they don't vary the puzzle either, and the collecting is too transparent unlike the organic (until recently) way zelda do them. Also zelda apply the formula with twist and different interpretations, clone use text book high level analysis that became bland and formulaic.

Mario 64 is still best zelda, and mario galaxy the most epic.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 01:19:49 AM »

They are trying change that formula with Zelda U which is going to be new starting point for future Zelda games.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 04:00:18 AM »

They are trying change that formula with Zelda U which is going to be new starting point for future Zelda games.

they've said that a million times before lol. also skyward sword arguably changed the formula (albeit for the worse lol).
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:06 AM »

they've said that a million times before lol. also skyward sword arguably changed the formula (albeit for the worse lol).

Of course it could be just Pr talk but After so many complains, delays and so many Ocarina/Link of the past  formula titles already exit. I really believe they are going to take bigger risk with the Zelda formula... even more than skyward sword.

Skyward sword was mostly hated because Motion controllers,  repetitive boss battles, Linear map, Linear progression, backtracking. I really liked new Upgrade system and sidequest in Skyward sword.. They could take that concept and make it even better.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »

The scope of the map only mean they can't rely too closely on old structure because the map need to be filled, I wonder what they will do. Althoygh new formula might mean pedestrian change like boss in teh open, big field dungeon, generalization of the sequence seen in twilight (field battle on horse), inspiration from hyrule warrior, ie old ideas and structure adapted to the overworld scope.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »

The scope of the map only mean they can't rely too closely on old structure because the map need to be filled, I wonder what they will do. Althoygh new formula might mean pedestrian change like boss in teh open, big field dungeon, generalization of the sequence seen in twilight (field battle on horse), inspiration from hyrule warrior, ie old ideas and structure adapted to the overworld scope.

It sounds like Anouma  wants to expand the puzzle solving element to possibly include your choices and actions through the game. I know how he also mentioned previously about being able to play the dungeons out or order. It seems Aonuma really wants to give alot of freedom and choice to the player this time around. It would awesome if old gimmick such as Wind waker boat and Skyward sword bird is going to be in the game.. I really hope that they are keeping the Zelda Seal of quality of the quest too.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »

I know how he also mentioned previously about being able to play the dungeons out or order.

you could do that in link between worlds (not to mention the first LoZ, released in 1987)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

You can do this in most zelda to be frank, you have a funnel of generally 3 dungeon then it's only prescribed order after that most of the time.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »

I know how he also mentioned previously about being able to play the dungeons out or order.

you could do that in link between worlds (not to mention the first LoZ, released in 1987)

The 3D zelda games are like half linear and half open.  It seems Zelda U is going to be completely open.. I just hope they dont bring back that stupid rent system from Link between world.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »

forget zelda clones, what we need are more okami clones

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »

stupid rent system from Link between world.

Huh?

Wasn't that one of the better features of ALBW? Finally giving some values to rupees isn't a strict negative imo.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »

stupid rent system from Link between world.

Huh?

Wasn't that one of the better features of ALBW? Finally giving some values to rupees isn't a strict negative imo.

It was not perfect at all. The joy of discovering new items is lost bit in link between world and with a less linear approach came a more flat difficulty level across dungeons. Some items became less useful since you could acquire the superior item beforehand. It also took a step back in terms of varied item usage in dungeons.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 02:41:40 PM »

is dungeon access gated somehwta?

becaus ethey could pull a megaman 8, where a level available after beating the first 4 robnot masters requires using the weapons you acquired from them.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »

LttP is a "Final Fantasy Adventure" clone.

BOOM.

sonder
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »

Interestingly, Zelda was marketed in Japan, at least in the 80's, as an RPG.

So maybe it didn't invent genre.  It just did an existing one really well.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »

Interestingly, Zelda was marketed in Japan, at least in the 80's, as an RPG.

So maybe it didn't invent genre.  It just did an existing one really well.

yeh, thats what i was arguing earlier. zelda has to be seen in the context of other attempts by japanese devs to make real-time top down rpgs (e.g. falcom's dragon slayer series, hyldide and a few others). LoZ takes those games, streamlines the mechanics and incorporates the action design of tower of druaga.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 06:19:24 AM »

did i say "Damn those IGN bastards are gonna pay for writing the wrong way" already? gonna post first then edit this if i did

looks like i did on the prior page. apologies, all.
sonder
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:57 PM »

did i say "Damn those IGN bastards are gonna pay for writing the wrong way" already? gonna post first then edit this if i did

looks like i did on the prior page. apologies, all.

you there

stop making forum post mistakes
MYavuz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »

I say simply, Zelda invented a genre.
Well, Zelda is a RPG game... I thought Dragonstomper made that genre...
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2016, 10:35:14 AM »

I say simply, Zelda invented a genre.
Well, Zelda is a RPG game...

Humm... well... That's a... hum... that's a debate to be held.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic