Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412112 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 28, 2024, 09:21:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPunk; Kill! Kill! (A punk art inspired Beat 'Em Up with RPG elements)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Punk; Kill! Kill! (A punk art inspired Beat 'Em Up with RPG elements)  (Read 5498 times)
Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:32:32 PM »

Hey folks!

My name is Madeline Hops and I'm embarking on finally making video game (in Construct 2).

Anyways, here's the run down of Punk; Kill! Kill!

-----

Punk; Kill! Kill! is my first large sc... *sigh*... let's try that again.

Punk; Kill! Kill! is my first EVER video game project done with the help of my fiancé (who's one here somewhere but I can't seem to find her).

The style of the game is a Beat 'Em Up side scroller with RPG elements. Though there is a heavy emphasis on fun and smooth fighting, a narrative is also crucial to this project.

----

One of the things that will help to set this game apart will be it's high-contrast, punk/zine art style that will decorate the entire world:

This also includes the characters:

(Yes they all have animal heads because I don't know it looks cool)

In addition to this art style, the influence and inclusion of Tarot cards will be prevalent in the game.

Oh and to back up all the art will be a very high-energy punk influenced soundtrack (this I'm already working on).

----

Combat system as mentioned before, will be a side scroller Beat 'Em Up with RPG elements.

There will equipable weapons for both the left hand (Magic based attacks) and right hand (melee weapons) as well as an additional slot for overall upgrades (still working on that).

Of course, like any Beat 'Em Up, the environment will also have destructive elements and breakables.

Oh and it's going to be SUPER bloody. I'm sorry but I love grind house style media and red will paint the mostly B&W landscape.

Might have a torture part to get information out of other NPC's but that's a conversation for another day...

----

Anyways there's probably bits and pieces I forgot to put in here but I'll put those up later.

If anyone is interested, I can always do Vlog updates or just stick to updating here as time goes on.

Thank you again for your support, feedback, and suggestions,

Madeline Hops

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:03:22 PM by Rabbit_isdead » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »

Hello hello!

So pumped for this!  I'm Madeline's fiance and am super stoked to be working on this! :D

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:24:52 PM »

Oh THERE you are!

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:12:17 AM »

Interested on how you're going to deal with a sidescrolling beat'em up engine in Construct2.
are you going to implant jumping and platform jumping?

I love the design already. Good luck on this project.
Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »

Today was used to make more assts and give the background some life.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:03:38 PM by Rabbit_isdead » Logged

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:07:36 PM »

Preliminary level test! :D

[ edit : forgive the shitty gif downscaling... looks less noisy in game ]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:26:28 PM by fuzzgoddess » Logged

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »

A 2D beat'em all in construct with stat raising elements? Rings a bell! (hint: check my sig :-D)

Either way, it looks like you're definitely starting off strong with a clear visual identity that potentially shapes everything else, so that's quite a plus.
Good luck to you! It's definitely possible to make that sort of game with C2. I'm looking forward to how you handle it, and how it develops!

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »

A 2D beat'em all in construct with stat raising elements? Rings a bell! (hint: check my sig :-D)

Either way, it looks like you're definitely starting off strong with a clear visual identity that potentially shapes everything else, so that's quite a plus.
Good luck to you! It's definitely possible to make that sort of game with C2. I'm looking forward to how you handle it, and how it develops!

Thanks!  Got a direct link to your tigsource devlog?

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »

Thanks!  Got a direct link to your tigsource devlog?

Sure thing! It's right here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42222.0

To add something more substantial to this post: did you check out the Cat Lady? For some reason, your art direction reminds me of theirs. It might be worth taking a look?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:18:54 AM by Pehesse » Logged

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FINALLY FINISHED THE WALKING ANIMATION FOR ANT THUG!!!  Evil

May clean up the body position a bit but fuck it I spent way to much time learning to do this.

I'm going to go drink myself unconscious now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:03:56 PM by Rabbit_isdead » Logged

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »

And before I go to bed, the first basic attack for the Ant Thug!

The red is just kind of a marker for particle effects so that will look different afterwards.

SO HAPPY with how things are coming along  Coffee

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »

I like the art style, but that gif you posted earlier with walking kills my eyes. It's too grainy or something. Really hard to focus on objects.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »

I like the art style, but that gif you posted earlier with walking kills my eyes. It's too grainy or something. Really hard to focus on objects.

It's gif downscaling yo.  Looks better in game.

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 07:54:32 AM »

Really appreciate the feedback!

The image uploaded looks distorted because of the downsizing, but we are making sure to limit scenic animation to avoid eye strain.

I'll be sure to try and get a better quality video for your thoughts.

Thanks again Smiley

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »

Update to Business Ants animation:

THE MONEY SHOT!

cloudgods
Level 0

im j

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »

Damn!! I love this game's aesthetic so much. Bring on the animal heads.

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »

RIP Ant Thug:

I'll probably end up making all the limbs fly off... probably add some bones and organs.

GORE PEOPLE! WE WANT THIS TO GO FULL CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST!

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:38 PM »

The heroine arrives! New character design by Rabbit_isdead. :3

She is busy working on the chainsaw so I thought I'd post this here for everyone to see.

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »

Our protagonist, Lizzy, has finally sprung to life and I could not be happier <3

For certain parts of the game I'll scrap the chainsaw animation and just leave it as her hands, but in battle sections, it's chainsaw time!

I was also thinking, depending on upgrades, there will be a word or icon on the white portion of the chainsaw to indicate power up in addition to attacks producing a unique colour for said power up.

And the work continues...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:37:19 PM by Rabbit_isdead » Logged

Rabbit_isdead
Level 0

Former cadaver model

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »

I've officially switched from Photoshop to Spriter for my animations!

Much smoother animations Smiley

Also, the chainsaw has been removed because I had a way better idea for the weapons system.

More details to come....

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic