Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:03:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Parabola Equation from Focus and Directrix
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Parabola Equation from Focus and Directrix  (Read 656 times)
Thomas Hiatt
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:58 PM »

I'm messing around with voronoi diagrams and I'm trying to implement fortune's algorithm. I have started by taking this https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~mbrubeck/voronoi.html code and adapting it to work with my rendering system and it seems to produce correct results, but it seems to me that the intersection function is incorrect. I have worked several equations out algebraically trying to understand the code but I get a different a, b, and c than his code. For example, using a focus of (2, 2) and directrix of (x = 3) I end up with x = -0.5y^2 + 2.5y - 1.25 but the equation that function comes up with is -0.5y^2 + 2y + 0.5 I'm not super confident in my math abilities but I really want to understand the algorithm and I just can't see how that function makes sense. Can anyone better than me at math tell me if that function really is wrong or if it's me thats wrong?
Thomas Hiatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:02 AM »

I guess I already figured out what I was doing wrong. I was subtracting from the wrong coordinate to find my vertex. Now I get the same result as the code and I should be able to understand the formula that it uses.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »

Any pointers to good tutorials on Voronoi diagrams and related algorithms? I tried to find some just the other day but they weren't really clear enough to me.

Good C++ and C# libraries that can do it for me (including the Delaunay triangulation data) would be interesting to know about too, but I want to really understand it myself well enough to implement my own algorithm as well.

Doesn't have to be Fortune's algorithm. I think I'd rather prefer to understand the less optimised, but easier to understand, algorithms first.

Thomas Hiatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »

I started out by watching this

video. From that I was able to write a brute force algorithm that created lines between a cell and all the other cells then intersecting them to find the edges for that cell. If you store a pointer to the cell on each side of the edges then you can connect those at the end for the Delaunay triangulation. I don't know anything about libraries that do this stuff because I'm only interested in understanding and implementing it myself.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »

Already watched those, but unfortunately not informative enough. Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking for something that works for me.

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »

The book 'Computational Geometry in C' by Joseph O'Rourke has a chapter on Voronoi diagrams and various algorithms that pertain to them. Good info, but it is written in a math textbook style, not 'informal internet tutorial' style.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »

I read this recently: http://rykap.com/graphics/skew/2016/02/25/voronoi-diagrams/

It's actually only approximate Voronoi, but it's cool to see a GPU implementation.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic