Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:14:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLARAAN [FREE][DEMO][Greenlight]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: LARAAN [FREE][DEMO][Greenlight]  (Read 4805 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »

TL&DR
While the presentation media looks great, based on the demo, the game is just a walking simulator with occasional game-like elements.  If you're idea of a action and  adventure is primarily walking 90% of the time between the islands of activity ... then this game is for you.  If you like the visual style then watch the walktrough videos.  At least there you can enjoy the visuals and skip the boring parts.

This is one of those examples where having a demo can actually has a detrimental effect.  However, luckily my disappointment is still much less then if I had actually paid for this as a "game" based on how it was advertised.  This video is very similar to my experience:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oGhS5LyaoKg

I am surprised NO  ONE made a comment ever in this post. No interest in anything that is not pixel-art-rogue-like? Ahh, that you are not Lucas Pope or another famouse dev. Ok, no prob -_-
As b∀kkusa mentioned, it looks more like a marketing dump log than a devlog. 

"The games we produce are small, smart, simple and elegantly designed. Our objective is to make people spend a good time with our products creating an enjoyable video game experience."
It's a great goal, but it seems like the developers spent more attention on the presentation media than the actual game development. 

I can think of many reasons why the game hasn't passed Steam Greenlight in the past.  Based on other people's comments and YouTube videos, it seems like there was at least one previous attempt - and perhaps more.

As for the "game", I was rather disappointed.  The visual teasers and inspirations looked interesting but the game is in "another world" (pun intended).  Demos give a good idea of what to expect and based on that Laraan's just a walking simulator with mild game-like elements that is about as much fun as pushing a shopping car in a grocery store.  Sure, you have to avoid colliding with people and objects but most of the time, you'll be walking ... walking ... walking ... walking ...    If that's your idea of a game experience, then you might like it.   Actually, there were parts of the game that could've been fun, (jumping from boulder to boulder near the end of the first level) but instead were turned into ... (you guessed it) walking.

"Explore the world".
Umm ... The levels are linear.  Go from point A to point B.  There might be a few branches and dead-ends, but that's about it. Nothing really to explore, wonder or be curious about.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Arcade
Are there different demo versions?  My experience was nothing like that at all!

Looking at the videos from 2014, the same animations are being used. 
-Walking on ice.  My guess is that the original walking speed matched the animation but the developers realized or received feedback that it took looooooooooong time get from point A to B.  So they increased walking speed ... but didn't change the walking animation.
-"Infinite Jump":  as others also mentioned it (Steam, YouTube videos) ~ looks strange.  The only benefit is that you can travel about twice as fast as walking.   However, the fact that you have the exact same animation for jumping up and falling and also floating ... not a good idea.

The hover bike.  I was playing with with keyboard and mouse and I'm guessing with a controller some of the movement can be more precise. However my main issue is that you can't turn in the air - even though according the visual jet stream released you should be able to (according to the visuals).  But even then, the gameplay is very basic.

Wall of text intro.  Even back in the Commodore 64 days, I've played games that at least had a few images to illustrate the points of the story.  Having a large text appear lost it's appeal so I don't even know what the story is about. 

Bugs:
-You can still jump after you die.
-You can die if you touch the stone columns in the cave system - just as those move up.  There's no indication (e.g. spikes) that you'll get hurt.  (As a side note, I had a similar issue with a box2d engine so it may be something similar).  Also, the columns just move into the ground and don't give clear indication as to where you get hurt.

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »

Ok I see, thanks for the advice Smiley
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 03:42:36 AM »

Thanks a lot for the advice b∀kkusa and sorry for the delay in answering, bussy right now preparing a LARAAN for a humble Smiley.
Will keep everyone informed Smiley
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 11:28:17 PM »

Not everybody has to like LARAAN io3 creations, we just need some of them to get the Greenlight.
Thanks anyway for your "review"...
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 09:33:13 AM »

LARAAN review at RETROMANIAC.
Read the good review given by this media  Gentleman

http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.com.es/2015/04/prueba-laraan-un-juego-de-exploracion.html

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

Inspiration John Carter

John Carter jump. We love it!

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »

LARAAN looked for inspiration in Avatar

Avatar. Pandora. Floating Islands

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »

Laraan again In Top 100 Games On IndieDB

Yesterday 96th on IndieDB TOP100 list! Thanks!! Thanks!! and Thanks!!

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »

Article at DeLaC Aventuras

Laraan article at http://www.delac.es/noticia.php?id=114

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »

I don't understand why you keep posting about being featured in other articles. I don't see any devlog here.

Should report to a mod so this get moved to Townhall because you're marketing your game .
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 11:25:47 PM »

Hi b∀kkusa, you are right, we have almost finished LARAAN (95% already done) and maybe we should have gone to another topic.
From now we will only talk about the development. Sorry for any inconvenience.
 Shrug
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

We are currently working hard to get our Greenlight Humble with Goupess. When?, maybe tomorrow? Smiley.
Laraan development is done, still giving last details. You know how it works, different opinions into the studio, some wants to and others just want to go for the next project Smiley.
We really hope more people can enjoy Laraan with this new launch.....
Will keep you informed...
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:57 PM »

We are so happy to announce our LARAAN at Groupees Greenlight Bundle!!!

Fill free to preorder it at https://groupees.com/bagb44

flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »

Hi, it is being a hard way to get your job visible. Dont you feel you work hard long periods of time every day and at the end of the day you dont see you work approved?, like nothing you do is worth it. This is how we have felt a long time. We have previously published several titles, I recognize they are not the best of the world, I call them our "little shits", but they are ours...
Well, finally two of our titles appears in a greenlight bundle and for the first time we can see everything we fought for has sense. Greenlight votes are improving, what makes me think, it is as much important make the game as make it visible....
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »

Right now Laraan is well situated at Greenlight Ranking but this is not enough for us, we want more. We keep on working hard, trying to improve the movements of the main player.
Some people complaint about the no explanation at all along the game. We think this is cool. Maybe because we come from the old school but we want users learn to play while they explore all the worlds we have done. On the other hand, once you pass a couple of them, you dont need to learn to much more  Durr...?
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »

We are still here...I know, I know, no one matters about what we write here but we keep on talking about Laraan....well or about Monster Puzzle.
Have I already told you we have another title at Groupees and Greenlight?....Yeap, Monster Puzzle https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=453894628.
If you have  a minute just visite it, vote us and why not, leave a really good comment  Shrug
Thanks to anyone who reads this....
flynnsarcade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »

Laraan and Monster Puzzle finally approved by the greenlight community  Wink Thank you so much to everyone.....
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic