Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:23:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProxy - Ultimate Hacker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Proxy - Ultimate Hacker  (Read 14191 times)
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »

Greetings, hacker.

I have been working on this game for a while now, and I'm a bit late to make a developer's log, but here goes!

About the game

Proxy is a game about becoming the ultimate hacker.

- Steal, destroy, sabotage, discover, change records, or even help catch other hackers!

- Capture computer nodes to make your way through a computer system to break in.

- Build up your proxy network to give yourself more time on the clock, buy software to help you with the advanced jobs or save up for some really beefy hardware.

Just don't get caught.

Breaking in minigame

Platforms
PC - Mac/Linux soon!

It's out now! Hooray! http://store.steampowered.com/app/528860

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:55:13 PM by readyplaygames » Logged
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160414.4

I'm reading up about how to run a successful kickstarter campaign. There's a lot of nuances that I didn't think about, such as: people are less likely to fund your project if you haven't funded at least 5-6 projects yourself.

Sigh, alright.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160415.4

Someone found a massive bug that has already been fixed in the Android version, but the iOS version takes several days to update. Here's hoping iPhone players are a forgiving and patient bunch!

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »

Locking Orientation

I encountered a MASSIVE amount of problems when the game was allowed to rotate. First of all, everything breaks if the game is held in the upright position. Just, breaks. Nothing works, pivotal buttons are off the screen, it was awful.

I decided to just lock it to one orientation. I have been EXTREMELY reluctant to try allowing the player to flip it 180 degrees, for fear that it will break the game in ways that I'm not anticipating. There's a...few...hacks in the game to "just make it work, darn it" so I don't know what would happen. Are phones smart enough? From what I've seen: probably not.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:22 PM »

Too Cramped Complaint

Someone on reddit said that my game felt "too cramped" because the buttons take up so much space. Since it's on a phone I designed it that way, but phones and tablets are getting bigger and bigger, so I could see his point of view.

The solution is to give the player a scale slider. The PROBLEM with that solution is that it seems extremely likely to break everything. I can try to make everything fit just right, but introducing an uncontrolled element, scaling, might introduce some extremely difficult to squish bugs.

What do you think? Would it be worth it to try?
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160417.4

Thought I'd start sharing pictures of the in-game store (don't worry, no microtransactions).

Here you can buy items to make the actual hacking easier. There's:

- Password Decryptor: Very important piece of software. You need this in order to decrypt Password nodes!
- Breaker: This will lower the level of the password node. Lower level = easier and less likely to trigger the alarm upon decryption!
- Buffer: My favorite. This will inject false data into the stream, decreasing data loss and lowering the overall chance to get caught
- Huh?? There's another button there. Hmm. What could it be?
tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »

I've had a bunch of trouble scaling in my game too, my first one was scaling each item individually but that was a ton of work to make sure it stayed at exactly the same position and scale across different resolutions. Now I'm just designing for an iPhone's resolution and scaling the whole thing up.

If you pull off scaling the UI effectively, I'd love to hear about how you did it.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »

I found...a potential way. In Unity there's a reference resolution on the UI canvas. I've been toying with that.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »

Opening Logos

I was given the opportunity to get a MASSIVE number of free sound effects for my game. The only thing they wanted was for their company logo to be on screen for 8 seconds before the title screen.

No.

The one thing that I will never do is make my players WAIT to play.

I feel that if you make the player wait to play, they're already starting out in a bad mood. It may not amount to much, but it's something. The time between opening the game to playtime should be as short as possible. People don't care about your company until you give them a reason to care, and that reason is the very thing you're delaying.

The free version of Unity already has an opening logo (but it helps mask the loading time so I'll give it a pass), I'm not going to make the player wait more.

I don't even have a "title" screen. Instead the player goes right to load their game. One button and they're in.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160419.5

Got a big decision to make. Do I try to make a kickstarter to get the game onto the Wii U (with cool new features) or do I reach out to a publisher? I don't know how far my social media "reach" goes, so I initially thought that I'd look for a marketing team. Finding one has been difficult, and compensation rates vary wildly.

I had a thought: try to do the kickstarter by myself, and if it fails, then search for a publisher. Thoughts?
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »

Dev Log, stardate supplemental

Making a video-only scene in Unity for the messages. You know, the kind that say something like "CHOOSE YOUR FATE" but here it's going to look like it's typed out on a computer.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160420.4

Working more on the website than anything today. It's often the first thing people see, so it's vital to make a good first impression. Put the video on there and we'll have something great, too!
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »

Dev Log, stardate 20160422.4

Had a sizeable list of bugs to fix today. Set aside a big chunk of time to squish them all.

...Fixed everything in 15 minutes.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160423.4

Here's an unfinished screen of the "decipher program" that is another layer of protection for high profile computers. You must rotate the pieces to solve the puzzle (and not get caught in the mean time).

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160425.4

Here's a more finished version of the program. I decided to make it in the "hardware" colors entirely to distinguish it from the "maze" part.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160426.3

I'm going to start a "buck backer" club. The idea is that if you promise to pledge just one (1) dollar to the kickstarter campaign when it launches, and show it to just one (1) friend, you're in the club! A nice and easy way to be a part of something great without taking a huge amount of money or time. What could be better?
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160429.4

I decided that the password nodes need to be made more clear.

Here is the "locked" password node:

Unlocked:

And the Decryptor:

What do you think?
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160430.3

While editing the teaser video, I decided that none of the footage was good enough for a teaser video. Reshot a lot of it. The teaser video will be the first thing people likely experience: it MUST be good!
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »

Dev log, stardate 20160501.5

Yesterday I found a bunch of bugs and it felt like a party since I actually got to work on the game instead of social media! Huzzah!
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »

Dev log, stardate 20160503.1

Finally edited together the teaser trailer. I'll probably have to get some feedback and change it before releasing it, but it feels really, really good to get it done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic