Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:23:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines based on Flex / AS3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines based on Flex / AS3  (Read 6549 times)
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »

I'm wondering what's the state-of-the-art approach to develop flash games. I found a number of 3D Engines (like Papervision), Physics implementations (like Box2D) but nothing suitable to help the development of the "typical" 2D flash games.

Are there any APIs, Librarys, Frameworks or Engines based on the Flex SDK or pure AS3 you could recommend?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:57:03 PM by Derek » Logged

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

http://pushbuttonengine.com/

PushButton Engine is pretty much the only one I know of. I think the basic idea of it is to provide a "framework" that allows you to write "components" or basically wrappers of engines like Box2D or FLINT to work seamlessly together in the engine.

How well that works I can't really say, but it should have you covered for 2D game needs.

It IS free (and I think partially Open Source) but there will be some components later on (like networking) you'll have to buy for money.

The engine IS pretty new. It just finished its closed Beta and was released onto the public just this month.

I personally found it hard to get it to work with FlashDevelop/Flex in the Closed Beta (in fact, I didn't manage) but they have a tutorial for that up now, which I haven't tried out yet (it's under Documentation).
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »

Elsewhere around these parts, Edward, by GirlFlash, was mentioned. It's a platforming engine for Flash. I haven't tried it yet, but seems solid.

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »

Look what was just posted today on Another Early Morning http://www.anotherearlymorning.com/2009/03/flash-game-engine-demo/

It looks pretty slick  :D

He has not posted code for it yet... but it sounds like he eventually plans on sharing it.  So it is probably worth watching.  His blog is pretty excellent as well so if anything it at least gives you an excuse to keep reading his blog.

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
rogerlevy
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »

http://pushbuttonengine.com/

PushButton Engine is pretty much the only one I know of. I think the basic idea of it is to provide a "framework" that allows you to write "components" or basically wrappers of engines like Box2D or FLINT to work seamlessly together in the engine.

How well that works I can't really say, but it should have you covered for 2D game needs.

It IS free (and I think partially Open Source) but there will be some components later on (like networking) you'll have to buy for money.

The engine IS pretty new. It just finished its closed Beta and was released onto the public just this month.

I personally found it hard to get it to work with FlashDevelop/Flex in the Closed Beta (in fact, I didn't manage) but they have a tutorial for that up now, which I haven't tried out yet (it's under Documentation).

I'm REALLY interested in their "flat" component-based methodology.  This is something that sounds like it could be a great jolt in the neck to game development.
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 06:16:27 AM »

I had some problems to get PushButton Engine working too. The hardest part however was to actually build the librarys (*.swc) - setting up the Engine Demo in Flash Develop was trivial as this guide explains it step by step: http://www.jeremyeasoz.com/flex/pbengine/pbefdsetup/pbefdsetup.html

From what I've seen the concept of the engine looks very thought through! Sadly there aren't any real sample projects to show it's power... I like to find my way with a new technology by looking at sample code so I'm a bit lost here. Nonetheless... interesting stuff! Thx for pointing me at it! Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic