Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:33:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGregg the Egg
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gregg the Egg  (Read 7433 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:46:26 AM »

I'm starting to like this place, it's like indygamers forums, only with activity. And better. Anyway,time to post this game here. You guys may have already played/seen it. I find this my best game.

Gregg the Egg is all about a little creature that has just hatched from its egg. Your goal is to help it escape the dangerous world it's in. Encounter hungry monsters, deadly spikes and deep dungeons.
Luckily, gregg evolves during it's journey, giving you new skills and powers to continue your journey.

Most of the challenges can be completed with good thinking and observation, good luck!

The entire game is played using only space and the arrow keys.
If you want it to work properly you'll have to unzip.
Check the readme file for tips and additional information.

Download (Caiman)

Have fun!

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »

I played it some months ago and enjoyed it to some degree.. it had a certain charm to it, although personally I would have liked it to be a little bit more graphically detailed (more colours, etc). Might give it another play now that you've mentioned it again though.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »

An interesting game that just screams to be polished! Smiley
I'll play some more and post later!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:26:10 PM »

Colors are overrated.

I played this once a long time ago. Couldn't really get into it for some other reasons.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:14:03 PM »

Thanks.

The thing is, this game was easy to make for me. I had almost no complications finishing is, while normally I drop projects all the time. The game is hard, but if you're into this kind of platforming, you will probably like it a lot.

People have praised the level design and everything. Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 04:45:38 AM »

Hey there!
Ok, I've played the game some more and here are a couple of comments...

First, as I mentionned earlier, the concpet is very interesting. I like how you start off with nothing and then you learn new moves along the way...

The simplicity of the graphics doesn't really bother me except for the fact that, right now, they don't feature enough key references to the player. For example, right at the beginning of the game, when you drop as an egg, the screen becomes empty and the player doesn't know that he is falling. The player should always know where he is. In this case, it's not so bad since it's a controled movement (the player will not fail after it) but a leap of faith might become disorienting.

Speaking of disorientation, the map is an interesting idea but it's way too small. You should allow the player to zoom in or make the map bigger. Right now, it's not quite practical.

Yes, the level design seems rather well executed but it's not perfect. The learning curve is rather steep and for some reason, we get to replenish health before we actualy get more hearts. It would be more logical if you'd get something to replenish before replenishing it.

The messages displayed at the bottom should fade out because right now, they are quite confusing. I got this "Don't be curious" message for a long time even though I was far away form the fatal pit.

Speaking of pits, I don't think putting a death pit right away in your game is a good idea. Basicaly, by doing this, you're telling your players not to explore or they will loose. In other words, you'Re telling your player: "Do not explore. If you do, I will punish you. Simply follow the signs" even though the game is very opened. You're giving the wrong mood to the player right at the start... Just like when you drop the egg at the beginning. We land right next to a death trap that we can simply walk next to and die. To fix this, I'd add a block next to the last spike so that the player who tries to explore will not kill himself prematuraly.

Pausing the timer when we are idle is an interesting idea. Very friendly toward the player but I believe it should also restart when you jump not only when you move.

When hitting a spike, you should make the character bounce back a bit because right now, even though you have heatlth to pad yourself, you still have an auto-kill because you remain stuck in the spike after the hit and you get hit another time before you had the time to react. Speaking of which, whenever we die, we can still move around before the message appears. When we're out, we should stop right away.

Controls are ok but the jumping system is a bit jagged to me. The character doesn't jump on the button down event, only when pressed, which makes jumping sometimes feel unresponsive. Also, the height control of a jump is well executed but the game would benefit from less control over the jumping lenght. A more fixed jump lenght would really help the player to anticipate it's movement. It's a bit weird to jump and then, when releasing the button, the character stops cleans in the air. Basicaly, I think you should have a fixed jumping lenght that you can alter a bit by pressing the arrows and not fully control it.

The music is nice, not too repetitive but I will suggest to change it after a while. You know, you could have two or three songs that will blend together which will bring a bith of variety to our ears while playing.

I felt like the character could grow in size along the way. Perhaps it'll happen but I have yet seen it enlarge.

I noticed that you can set the game to other difficulty levels... What are the difference between the modes?

Oh and always ask for a confirmation before exiting the game. Always. And in the main menu, I'd make the first option New Game and then the second Load game, simply because you cannot load unless you have previously saved. If you want to make sure people don't overwrite their previous game by mistake, you could have a confirmation when starting a new game when there's one that can be loaded. A message like "Creating a new game will delete the saved game... Start anyway?"...

Anyway, I gotta run but the game is quite interesting. There's alot of other things that could be tweaked but I don't have more time on my hand right now. Sit down and write down how you want your player to feel when playing the game and review every little challenge you have and ask yourslef: "Is this workin toward my desires or against it?" It's not an easy job but it usualy pays off at the end...

Well, good job, an interesting game, I hope you make a new version of it!
Later!
Guert

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »

Thanks! I'm currently working on something new and gregglike qua gameplay. It features real growing characters and colors and it will have like tiles and npcs too.

I'll read this post again real carefully when I have the time and make sure my next game wil be better.

Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »

If you find interesting, I'd like to add points to Guert's post:

1. The game locks on saving process. If this is inevitable, due to architecture, at least put a "saving" screen during the lock.

2. I couldn't pass through the first spikes part with a moving platform, right after picking the Map ability. It is a waaaay too difficult for me. I'm not too used to platform mechanics, but such a challenge in the beginning of the game is misplaced.

3. The map is really small, and also it doesn't tell where you are. You could add a "your are here" animated point (not necessarily with this text! :D).

4. Since Greg has just hatched from an egg, it would indeed be fun to see him growing over time, perhaps eating food or something.
jostvise2d
Level 0

ю:

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 02:12:47 AM »

today is 2020
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 07:02:47 AM »

Yes, and the last previous post in this thread was from 13 years ago. Which, according to your profile makes it older than you, wow...  Shocked

Anyway, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're a real 12 year old who stumbled into this forum somehow until proven otherwise (which, honestly, would be cool. Kudos to finding such an old-fashioned forum Tongue), so I'm kind of curious how you found the thread?
jostvise2d
Level 0

ю:

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:30:15 PM »

Yes, and the last previous post in this thread was from 13 years ago. Which, according to your profile makes it older than you, wow...  Shocked

Anyway, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're a real 12 year old who stumbled into this forum somehow until proven otherwise (which, honestly, would be cool. Kudos to finding such an old-fashioned forum Tongue), so I'm kind of curious how you found the thread?
Found in https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=6.8220  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic