Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:08:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGame of Life Platformer [Win/Mac prototype!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Game of Life Platformer [Win/Mac prototype!]  (Read 9176 times)
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »

Haha, that could be really neat! Again, though, it's not as thematically compatible.
But I plan on releasing the source, and I'll try to make that easy to implement! Coffee

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »

I like the fading in idea you mentioned, and I suppose you would have them fade out as well with at least 2 degrees of solidity (such as solid enough or not solid enough to be a platform) besides solid. Slowing down the Life code might also be helpful to the player.

With inspiration from godatplay, I imagined what the game might be like if the passage of time was connected to the movements of the character. In a way, the character would be a personification of time, since time would only progress during walking or jumping. If he stands still, time stands still. I guess that could give the game a roguelike quality, but I imagine time as being fluid while moving rather than having a turn-based feel.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 01:17:40 AM »

I'm working on prototyping the fading thing right now. I'm trying to make it so that when a block fades in completely, it becomes solid, and when it fades out completely, it ceases to have any effect. This might introduce some ambiguity--is this partly-faded block solid?--and the prototype will tell us how much of an issue that is. I might have fading-in cells tinged green and fading-out cells tinged red or something.

The plan for now is to have different speeds for different levels. A level where you have to try to make sense of chaos, like the prototype demands, works better with a slow rate, but any time you'd want to ride a glider, you'd want it to move faster than the ones in the prototype go.

I like the fluid time thing, and it would probably go really well with the fading part! I have no idea what the code would look like for the fading, but that's okay. The gimmick is used to really good effect in Idealism and Braid's fourth world (which you can try out in the free demo). I probably won't go for that particular gimmick, again, but I'll try to make the code lenient.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Coffee

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »

Progress on the code is slow, so I've been doing design work.

Here are two houses! Like any good houses, they stay perfectly still. Made in Golly.

I'm still working on them. The ground consists of a series of blocks on tables.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 09:43:18 PM »

Very cool. Smiley  Hope to see it in action soon.

@godatplay
havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

Yo, what's the status?
Would love to test out a prototype with fading blocks. Smiley

Pizza is delicious.
Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »

The status is I'm learning C and a bunch of other things this coming semester, and I'm going to recode the whole Game of Life computation part in C when I'm smart enough. (I'm keeping the rest in GML so that iteration and prototyping and stuff is easier. I might recode a bunch of that too so that it's easier to work with; right now it's a vine-jungle.)

It's still going to get made, but it's on a pretty big hiatus right now. Shrug

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 08:17:43 AM »

Awww, that's too bad.  Just don't forget about it; I know of plenty of projects that have died because people want to rewrite them.

@godatplay
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »

Just a random thought; I just played the demo, and it might be easier to avoid getting stuck if the blocks grew, rather than instantly flashing on/off or fading or whatever. Y'know, figure out the next grid state ahead of time, than have dead blocks shrink back into the nearest wall, and new blocks grow out of existing walls. Just an idea.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic