Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:21:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGuert's Grinder
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Guert's Grinder  (Read 11205 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

Hello everyone!
I've been thinking about this for a while and, as you may have notice, I tend to make lenghty feedbacks. Most replies I write aren't truly structured and do not cover every aspect of the game, they are usualy impressions that I had while trying it out...

So, I thought of something... What if I made some really long and detailed critics for games of developers who wants to hear it? Not everyone desires a lenghty reply to their game. Not every developer desires to be criticised that roughly. Some may only want to have praise...

Hence the creation of the Guert Grinder! Those who truly desire it may post their game on this thread. And when I say truly, I REALLY mean it. A game that will go through the grinder will be attacked from every front, tested, trashed, ran down and ripped apart by yours truly. Why? So that we can learn along the way on how to make our game stronger, tougher and flawless...

And yes, this is all for learning sake. I want to make this an interesting read for others as well so that we all learn from a mistake that anyone could make.

So, for those who submits to the Grinder, do not expect any easy praises and yes, you will get hurt Wink This won't be for the faint of heart.

Once a game will be grinded, everyone will be free to discuss about what I said because in the ned, no soul owns the utlimate thruth: it comes from an amalgamate of different visions of the same subject.   

So, what do you think? Anyone interested? Oh and yeah, a minimum of at least 10 posts would be required. Why? I'm not gonna write a super long critic to someone who's not motivated enough to post 10 little messages Wink

Later!
Guert
Ps: Yes, I will still comment all other projects posted but I'll try to make my comments simpler and shorter...

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:11 PM »

This is the King Of Ideas.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:10:50 PM »

I like this.

ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH, er... GAMES?

SamanthaZero
Level 0

Subdivisional

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »

Guert,

I would be honored if you would dissect, destroy, and generally grind my B-game competition entry: ACCELEMATRIX!

Download it for Windows XP or Vista
Download it for Mac OS X

You can find additional game info and marketing hoo-ha here.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:20:06 PM »

The first challenger steps into the ring. Let's just hope your emotions can handle the grindage Guert is about to unload on you.

And remember, it's ok to cry.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »

Eh... Grinding a B-Game?

Would it be analyzed based on the goals of the competition or standalone?

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:23:55 PM »

I think this grinder is a good idea, and if I had a game I would definetly post it here. I always admire how much effort you put into your feedbacks and I would absolutcy go the extra mile of accumulating 10 posts to earn the grinding privilege.

But I think one thread for all games might get a bit messy espacially if more than one game is being discussed at a time.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 04:45:14 PM »

Tinarg: I would post the grinds in seperate posts so it would be clean...

Ulognep: Are you sure you want to post a b-game? I'm thinking like BMcC on this one...

RangerSheck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »

As a developer and a recent patron of the Grinder, I can say Guert provides some very detailed and useful feedback. It's like being able to see your game through someone else's eyes, which can be very hard to do (especially if you've been developing the same game for a long time). I have been thirsting for such critical feedback for a long time. The big problem I've seen in getting good feedback has always been that people who have a bad experience can give up on a game so fast these days - and they don't take the time to tell you why they gave up on it, or why they didn't like it.

Guert - where is your tip jar?

Pioneers of Aethora - Browser-based RPG: http://aethora.com
Ranger Sheck's Blog: http://rangersheck.com
SamanthaZero
Level 0

Subdivisional

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

Eh... Grinding a B-Game?

Would it be analyzed based on the goals of the competition or standalone?

I would prefer that it is ground (grinded?) based on its merits as a standalone.  Just because the game was made with low production values does not mean it is any less of a game.  I'm really interested to know where the deep cracks lie.  Obviously some things were done cheesily on purpose, but I did so with the assumption that they would make the game *work* better as an experience.

I want people to keep coming back to it, and if they're not, I want to know why.  That's where I'm hoping Guert can help out, in as much detail as he likes Smiley
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »

My tip jar is when people come back with a better, enhanced game that others can enjoy, helping to make the term "indie" a synonym of quality... Wink

Ulognep: Well, I don't mind, I'll try to keep in mind the context. Besides a good game is a good game good graphics or not, it's what you do, not what you see or hear that truly counts...

Anyway, I'm gonna start the grinder pretty soon, I just have to take care of a couple of thing first...

Later!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 05:56:30 PM by Guert » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »

This thread has me terrified, and yet... slightly titillated.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »

I can only imagine what would the Grinder find in a B-Game. Wait, no, I cannot.

My advice to Guert with this one is to just have fun tearing that poor b-game apart. Will probably be good for a few laughs, which was the goal of the b-game compo anyway.

Or maybe it'll suddenly reveal a deep truth about videogames that will revolutionize all of the community and the industry for decades to come.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »

Hey Guert,

As I'm still working on Space Barnacle, I'd love to see it go through the Guert Grinder.  In fact I've been secretly hoping to get a full critique since I submitted, after the insightful feedback I got from you and others in the Rotrix thread.

I already have a whole todo list of fixes and improvements to get done, but in the interest of an untainted palate of feedback, I'll leave it at that.

If you decide to do it, that is!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:08:45 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »

oh shit! you're the rotrix guy too?
rotrix AND barnacles?
fuck man, you are all kinds of awesome.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »

I think you should also team up with Dr. Derek Doctors and really hand out the ass kickery. Do it.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »

Wanna grind my crappy "old" arcade game Get That Sub?

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/1094

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »

I think submitting games you already cast off-hand as 'crappy' is a waste of this offer...

So I say:

GUERT vs CAVE STORY

FIGHT!

Grin

Last release: sync::routine
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »

Yeah, I don't think Guert should Grind (yes, with a capital) every game that is offered. He should pick the ones he find would be most promising/interesting/are gonna try going commercial or something and Grind them. Or games that aren't, like, the creator's first game ever. Cause I know those tend to suck. My first game ever is my B-Game Tecnojam. Yep.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »

Precisely my thoughts Melly! First, I will not write about a game that the creator didn't personaly ask for a "Grind" (I'm really starting to like that term Wink). Second, the game must show that the creator truly wants to make a better game out of it. I will not select games that creators say "Oh, I'm not gonna work on it anymore, I was simply curious..." A work in progress/unfinished/update-able game that you truly want to make better is what I'm looking for.

Example: TeeGee's Magi. He came here, posted the game and we gave him some feedback. He worked on it and now he shows a better game (his interface was praised while, when he fist submitted the game, it was a big flaw Wink).

I haven't picked my first game to grind yet because I want to make sure that the game I'm gonna select will have more time invested in it. As for now, it's either Accelematrix or Space Barnacle, but the two creators will have to tell me if you are going to work some more on those titles or not.

So, remember that writting these up take a while and I have numerous projects on my hand (and some are pretty big) so I can only pick one at a time.

Later all!
Guert

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic