Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:59:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsDesign a Game Character – Art Competition
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Design a Game Character – Art Competition  (Read 4566 times)
alexp
Level 0

Freelancer and game dev

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »

I am running an open competition to design an exclusive character for our upcoming game Ghost Dash: Scared Of The Dark. The winning design will feature as an unlockable character in the final game due to be released in Summer 2016.

Awards

• £50 Amazon voucher to winner PLUS your character featured in Ghost Dash: Scared Of The Dark PLUS full in-game credits!
  • £25 Amazon voucher to 2 runners-up
  • £10 Amazon voucher to randomly selected entry
  • £5 Amazon voucher for “wooden spoon” entry (least up-votes)

Timeline – Ready, Steady, Draw!

• 21st May 2016 – submission deadline
  • 23rd May 2016 – nominations announced, voting opens
  • 4th June 2016 – voting closes, winners announced

Please see the full details here!

http://www.learn-to-code-london.co.uk/blog/2016/04/12/design-a-game-character-art-competition/

I can't wait to see what game art community can come up with for the game! I really hope people take part!

Cheers,
Alex

matwek
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:05 AM »

Just took a look at the rules/small print section of this comp and am a little concerned about these two lines.

Entries must be in PNG format (square size) no smaller than 1024 by 1024px
Winning entry will be required to further submit 7 “walking” animation frames

If I win a competition I wouldn't expect to then work for my prize money
alexp
Level 0

Freelancer and game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:13:16 AM »

Thanks for your message! I hear your concerns, and bear with me because it's the first time I tried to run a small contest for getting content into a game and also I am on on a small indie budget.

The animation frames do not have to be complex, I added a sample to the competition page at the bottom to clarify (see link below). So it could just be 4 frames and then repeat a few of them with an eye blink at the end. A lot of the animation, squeezing, stretching is done in code so should make it less time consuming for the artist!  I wanted to keep the effort required to enter as low as possible which is why I done it this way, that way only the winner has to do a little extra.

http://www.learn-to-code-london.co.uk/blog/2016/04/12/design-a-game-character-art-competition/

I don't anticipate many entries so as you are a freelance artist, I hope you do enter as I would love to see what you can come up with!

Best regards,
Alex

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic