Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 03:57:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSound Effect Designers?
Poll
Question: Do you make sound effects as well as music?
Only music
Both
Only sound effects

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sound Effect Designers?  (Read 740 times)
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:46 AM »

In light of the many threads here regarding music, I'm curious to see how many people here do more audio than just that.

One reason why I bring this up is because I'm contributing to a game mod at the moment whose team wanted me to do a few sound effects as well. This is my first real time doing sound effects in addition to music, and judging from how many threads here advertise music services, I'm guessing sound design is a new territory for some here as well, though I admit I could be wrong.

Discuss.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Abnelia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »

Well ... I was not confortable with music at first, so I just go for sound design.
But since a few months more and more people ask me for music too.

I don't know...
I think it's more simple to do both, and it's more easy for game developper to speak with only 1person for the audio.
But maybe I'm wrong.

I just have the feeling if you want to do music only you have to meet a lot of people to have enough work.

And I think it's easier to present music on a portfolio than sound design.

So... both is cool for me
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »

There are a few people on here who delve in both (PearlPixel, Moritz, Matt), and even fewer that seem to gravitate solely to sound design (YellowChord). Although I have DONE both before, I wouldn't dare consider myself well versed in the art of sound design and would label myself moreso a composer who dabbles.

I don't think it's easier to do both, but it definitely makes you look a lot more, eh, valuable, as an audio producer for smaller studios. The larger the budget, the more I feel that developers focus on someone who excels in one area, rather than multiple (though I would state having the ability to do both a huge plus).

How has sound designing been going for you, Python?

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:39 PM »

In my case it's the other way around. I'm a Sound Designer who "dabbles in music". The main focus of my work is Sound Design and Implementation.

If done right, the Sound Design works "with" the music and vice versa. I.e. leaving "room" in the mix of the music for the SFX to shine, and the other way around Smiley.

And if you're doing both you have a great opportunity to really make everything "blend" together nicely!

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:08:39 PM »

It's fairly new that I have begun to make sound fx for games, it has been out of need, but I have had my way with many genres of music now. Some more successful than others, of course.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 04:45:36 AM »

Thanks everyone for the responses, first of all.

There are a few people on here who delve in both (PearlPixel, Moritz, Matt), and even fewer that seem to gravitate solely to sound design (YellowChord). Although I have DONE both before, I wouldn't dare consider myself well versed in the art of sound design and would label myself moreso a composer who dabbles.

I don't think it's easier to do both, but it definitely makes you look a lot more, eh, valuable, as an audio producer for smaller studios. The larger the budget, the more I feel that developers focus on someone who excels in one area, rather than multiple (though I would state having the ability to do both a huge plus).

How has sound designing been going for you, Python?

Yeah, I personally believe your theory that larger studios are more likely to have different audio departments, likely because of what you said that their budget is bigger and they can therefore afford to pay more people.

Sound designing has been interesting. I've only been dabbling at the moment, myself, though I did go as far as making field recordings of my footsteps in grass. XD Otherwise, I seem to prefer having the budget for premade sound effects.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
FelixArifin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 05:38:19 AM »

I definitely do both. You never know when it comes up. I'm not as well versed with the crazier programs one might use, so I download a lot of premade sound effects and then manipulate them to make them more "original", if you know what I mean.

-Felix

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »

I do both. I spend most of my free creative time producing drum and bass music which ends up leaning more towards creative sound design than music. Non-musical SFX on the other hand are not so bad. As far as libraries go, I know even top audio professionals that work on movies use them as a starting point for many sounds; no shame I think.

Cadillac_Loops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »

In my case it's the other way around. I'm a Sound Designer who "dabbles in music". The main focus of my work is Sound Design and Implementation.

If done right, the Sound Design works "with" the music and vice versa. I.e. leaving "room" in the mix of the music for the SFX to shine, and the other way around Smiley.

And if you're doing both you have a great opportunity to really make everything "blend" together nicely!

^my thoughts exactly!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic