Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:24:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Work[CLOSED] Any engine, experienced only
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Any engine, experienced only  (Read 1346 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:10:39 AM »

Hello there!

I'm looking for an experienced programmer. I don't mind paying more, I just want someone who knows what they're doing.

The game is here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45455.0

I have the art done. I just need someone to follow  instructions and code everything together with as little bug as possible.

I'm looking for:
*Someone who promptly answers e-mails (within 48 hours upon reception). Someone reliable in other words.
*Someone who's an adult (no one under 18). This is for legal reasons as minors sometimes can't do paid work in certain countries.
*Someone who speaks fluent English (preferably first language or completely bilingual). This is for communication purposes.
*Preferably with references, i.e., someone who's worked on other indie/pro games before.
*Someone's who has some measure of social skill. Sociopath not wanted (tried it once, never again).If you're the type of misanthrope that doesn't know/like dealing with people, don't apply.
*The engine is up to you. I just want someone who knows the engine inside/out. I can't stress this enough. This is the most important aspect.
*Do not apply if you have some doubts about your skills.
*A contract will be signed.
*A few years of experience is preferable.

So I'm receiving quite a few PM, which is cool, but as I anticipated most messages have some information missing.  Wink Embarrassed
In order to keep everything need an organized, simply answer the following in your PM. Basically, copy/past the part under this  paragraph and fill things in with your information.

1. What's is your name?

2. How old are you?

3. Which engine would you use for the game?

4. How much experience do you have?

5. Please write down people I can contact for references. Make sure to write down their contact information. Writing down the name of the project you worked on doesn't help when trying to get in touch with them to check your references.

6. Write down the salary you are expecting.

7. Would you be willing to code for an hour (free of charge) to show me what you can do with the game? This isn't compulsory but actions do speak louder than words.

Well, that's about it.

Money-wise, I want to pay on an hourly base for the moment. I'm thinking of 20$US an hour until I can manage to get on Early Access. Once I have funds coming, I want to pay more an hour. It's just that stretch in getting approved for Early Access which I don't think should take that long coding wise. This isn't set in stone, it's just what I have in mind at the moment. Let me know if you have ideas and suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:32:14 AM by Zizka » Logged

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »

Sent you a PM. Look forward to hearing from you  Noir
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »

Replied back to your PM.

So I'm receiving quite a few PM, which is cool, but as I anticipated most messages have some information missing.  Wink Embarrassed
In order to keep everything need an organized, simply answer the following in your PM. Basically, copy/past the part under this  paragraph and fill things in with your information.

1. What's is your name?

2. How old are you?

3. Which engine would you use for the game?

4. How much experience do you have?

5. Please write down people I can contact for references. Make sure to write down their contact information. Writing down the name of the project you worked on doesn't help when trying to get in touch with them to check your references.

6. Write down the salary you are expecting.

7. Would you be willing to code for an hour (free of charge) to show me what you can do with the game? This isn't compulsory but actions do speak louder than words.

Well, that's about it.

Money-wise, I want to pay on an hourly base for the moment. I'm thinking of 20$US an hour until I can manage to get on Early Access. Once I have funds coming, I want to pay more an hour. It's just that stretch in getting approved for Early Access which I don't think should take that long coding wise. This isn't set in stone, it's just what I have in mind at the moment. Let me know if you have ideas and suggestions.

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »

Got your email but my provider won't let send my response for some reason, so I've pm'ed you yet again.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »

Guys keep in mind that my game isn't a platformer. Please read the latest devlog. Thank you.

Carnefrisca
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:57:20 AM »

I've sent You a PM.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:19:02 AM by Carnefrisca » Logged

I don't use Unity3D not for principle, but for a moral duty.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:16 AM »

Hello again,

As I'm still receiving messages about my ''platformer'', I figured I'd put those 2 gifs there just to clarify what I'm going for:

I would encourage people to check the game topic and read from devlog 79 before contacting me to get a better idea of what I'm working on:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45455.0

Thank you!  Smiley

EntropyMachine
Level 0

RoboCorps Dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 06:37:20 AM »

Is there a written document somewhere describing the game? I'm interested in the educational aspect of the main mechanic and the visual aesthetic, but I still don't have a full grasp on what the game is, even after reading Devlog 79. Reading some of your later posts in that thread has me intrigued, though!

It'd be nice to have a short paragraph describing the game and its scope, just so we know exactly what we're getting into Smiley

Also, the GIFs are animating a bit too quickly for me to read all the text.
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »

I did a new devlog post to clarify the game a bit. Hopefully it will clear things up. If you have questions, feel free to ask them in the thread of the game and I'll do my best to answer them.

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »

"7. Would you be willing to code for an hour (free of charge) to show me what you can do with the game? This isn't compulsory but actions do speak louder than words."

No, and I would strongly advise anyone against doing this.

Amongst many reasons, this: http://shouldiworkforfree.com/
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »

Yeah, this is pretty legit stuff. High five.

The reason why I ask this is to make sure that the person applying knows what they're doing. It's optional but it's a lot more convincing than saying: "Oh yeah I can do it". I've had this done before twice and the people turned out not to have the skills that they said they had.

I think explaining your position would have been a lot more convincing than that website advertising to sell prints for Jessica Hische.

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

The chart actually does a fairly good job of summarizing my point, despite the fact the person behind it may not have the credibility you'd be aspiring for. Working for free can happen for a humanitarian cause, for your own family, and if there's an immediate tangible gain to make aside from money. Everything else falls into: get paid. I believe this to be common sense, being a freelancer AND employer myself.

As a potential employer, there are better ways for you to get protected against charlatans than asking for an unpaid period: a contract. I also prefer your original approach to ask for references as you're more likely to vet a potential candidate this way.

So, don't get me wrong, I'm an employer too, both in the corporate world, and as an indie. I know where you're coming from, and I know hiring off the web comes with a very high risk, but I don't believe any of this excuses asking for unpaid work.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »

I think that's a much better explanation and a lot less offensive. Thanks for writing it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic