Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:11:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioLet's Talk Reverb
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Reverb  (Read 1297 times)
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »

So the two basic types, convolution (impulse response) and algorithm. I've been using Logic Pro's Space Designer (convolution) for years now - I love it, and have yet to encounter a reverb situation where I'm left wanting.

Recently, I started looking at some of the higher end verbs, Altiverb (convolution) and 2CAudio (algorithm) mainly, just to see if there's anything I might be missing out on. 2CAudio lets you demo their stuff freely, which is awesome, so I started playing around with b2. And after a few hours, I'm honestly not seeing what all the fuss is about.  I was really excited initially, to find a moderately priced, beloved beastly reverb, but I'm beginning to think that algorithm reverbs, in spite of all their 'modulation' magic, are just okay. In terms of functionality, space designer does everything b2 does (eq control, depth, filters, etc) and you can use your own impulses, which is SO much fun. And several of the b2 presets feel pretty unnatural to me, which I guess could be cool if your music needs that. But I don't know, there's something inauthentic about it and I can't quite put my finger on it. Possibly some Pavlovian reasoning involved. Would love to play with Altiverb but it's so damn expensive.

What are some of your reverb preferences? Any tools you swear by?

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »

I love a bit of reverb talk  Smiley

I personally swear by convolution reverbs, particuarly the one in Abletons M4L, due to the flexibility, and also the fact that so many algorithm reverbs sound cheap to my ear. I've personally never really wanted to go out and try a new reverb after finding the M4L Convolution reverb, however I often find myself wanting to go out and get a certain impulse response.

The issue with algorithm reverbs is that its hard to come by one that doesn't just do reverb (Strange thing to say, I know), and the fact that with convolution reverbs, you have the ability throw any old impulse sample and it will spit out what it can do, it gives that further creative element of being able to create some crazy textures with what is designed to be a reverb unit

But thats just my view on the whole thing

Gentleman

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:57:49 PM »

Neat idea. Grin When I was younger still, the affordable reverb/delay effect pedals for my electric guitar (Boss ME-20 and DD-7) were all algorithmic. I didn't even know convolution reverb existed. When I switched to computer, the VST package I bought included RC48, to which I've been hooked ever since. It comes with both a handy amount of presets as well as plenty of control over various parameters (size, shape, diffusion etc.). With RC48, I've found it surprisingly easy to go from bathroom to grand and majestic reverb.

One of the things I'm fond of doing is selecting the 'Wormhole' or 'Universal' preset to achieve a gargantuan amount of reverb and then dropping the mix percentage to somewhere between 60% and 80%. It allows for quite elegant sostenuto sections, regardless (to some extent) of how shitty your string VSTs are. Personally, I've never found myself wanting for a better reverb plugin; I haven't been as interested in recreating the reverb of a particular space as I've been in creating a neat reverberant sound. If algorithmic reverb achieves that, then that's good enough for me.

Having said that, I'm eager to learn more about your experiences with convolution reverb. I feel like I've been blind to the possibilities of convolution reverb, so I look forward to reading more about this and about how algorithmic compares with convolution reverb.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:08:01 AM by Barendhoff » Logged

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 01:36:15 AM »

I myself usually depend on Logic's Space Designer for my reverb. There have been a few times when I use the synthesized IR, but otherwise, I'm usually using samples, usually either the stock IR samples or samples of Lexicon reverb units.

The 80s fan I am tends to use more of it than others for drums. XD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
dawid w. mika
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »

I love the stuff from Valhallha DSP, especially this one: https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-vintage-verb/

They are cheap, versatile, great sounding workhorses. Besides, I have a feeling that they produce fewer phase issues than the others which make them shine in ambient stuff.

As for convolution I'm happy with feeding Guitar Rig's Reflektor with my own impulses recorded on the huge stairwell of old vodka factory Gentleman

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »

I'm a big fan of IRs. For sound design purposes, because you can do much more than just plain reverb with a convolution plugin (I'm using Melda Productions Multiband Convolution Reverb, best bang for the buck IMO) and also because I get to use IRs of  old hardware Reverbs I love but can't afford to buy the real thing. Re algorithm: I have the Waves TrueVerb, never use it, haven't bother looking into any other algo verbs recently Smiley.

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »

A convolution reverb through the magic of FFTs takes a sample of an impulse representing all frequencies in an actual a room. It in theory should sound natural and realistic. An algorithm reverb essentially uses a diffuser delay algorithm + some filters for dampening to simulate reverb.

It's like comparing synth strings to sampled strings - both have their charms and uses. I personally feel it's hard to say one is better than the other. Convolution definitely should sound more realistic. Algorithm reverbs are fun because they provide a lot of flexibility for sound design beyond the basic "reverb effect," and when used as a reverb can be a bit larger than life.

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »

I tend to use IR-L for most of my reverb needs, you can download a nice selection of impulse responses from the waves website. I use it for sound design and for music production. I have had no troubles with it, nothing that makes me want to venture to a different convolution reverb.

When I feel like I want some odd reverb that's a bit kooky then I head over to the algorithm department, usually TrueVerb or the AIR Reverb and mess about with the settings until I figure out something that sounds cool. I never seem to get a nice natural sounding reverb from the algorithm plugins though.

Also, I've never tried using my own impulse responses in the reverbs, I always thought it was quite a delicate procedure to get an accurate IR for a space that you want to recreate. Is it easier than I imagine?
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »

Having said that, I'm eager to learn more about your experiences with convolution reverb.

I kinda started out like you Barendhoff, played around with algorithm effect pedals (verbzilla<---cave setting all day and the DD-7). I suppose taste depends so much on what sound environment you're attempting to create.

Big, lush and ambient are what I enjoy crafting, but authenticity is paramount. In my experience, where algorithm reverbs do well is the really weird, out there stuff, with long reverb tails - spaces that don't/can't exist in reality. Convolution starts to sound weird (to me anyway) with reverb tails > 5sec. Even the nicest concert halls rarely have more than 2-3ish second reverb tails.  But who knows ya know, sometimes a cello recorded in a grain silo sounds really cool and if it works, it works. I'm not one for strict lines in the sand : )

O, and Impulse Responses are a lot of fun because you can capture the reverb essence of most rooms with a good sine wave generator. Then, plopping that sample in your convolution verb, you can attach those responses to whatever you decide to put through it. I've collected a few responses from rooms I used to write and record in, so for me, it's a bit of nostalgia but that's okay, no one has to know  Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »

I personally swear by convolution reverbs, particuarly the one in Abletons M4L, due to the flexibility, and also the fact that so many algorithm reverbs sound cheap to my ear. I've personally never really wanted to go out and try a new reverb after finding the M4L Convolution reverb, however I often find myself wanting to go out and get a certain impulse response.

ya i love those too.

i also use ableton's built in algorithmic reverb. it sounds kinda "thin" but i like that. i also (more rarely) an electro harmonix holy grail pedal.

convolution and algorithmic reverbs both have their distinct uses imo. convolution is for when i want to simulate an actual space. algorithmic is for using the reverb as a "sound effect", i.e. to make things sound trippier and whatnot. i find that convolution reverbs are often hard to control with really extreme settings.

when i work without mics (which is 99% of the time these days), i tend to use a slight amount of convolution reverb on the master track to make things sound less sterile.
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »

i tend to use a slight amount of convolution reverb on the master track to make things sound less sterile

Aye, I also do this; it's a nice treat for your ears after hearing the same thing over and over again. I also recently started creating separate aux tracks for reverb sends, my CPU has been so good to me ever since.

Yellowjacket
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »

I've been using 'verbs' from Native Instruments since getting Komplete Ultimate. 

While I am glad I studied composition, I have to say that the approach to teaching it as a discipline is a bit anachronistic.  This is to say, we were so focused on conceptualizing music and really focusing on the idiom of live instruments.  So, now I am trying to play 'catch up' on the production end of things.

This may seem very simple to people here but a huge 'aha' moment for me was when I realized that using reverb in conjunction with panning is integral to placing an object into a virtual position within a mix.  You can use 'fake' acoustics to emphasize foreground, middleground, and background.  Sometimes I'll put two reverb plugins on a sound if I want something to be particularly washy and diffuse, but this is generally for something which sits way in the background.  In this instance, I'll generally use EQ to solve any problematic EQ band.

The other thing I find useful is understanding the seating arrangement of a standard orchestra.  Understanding the acoustic behaviour of these instruments really helps me in terms of how I mix for them and how I select my dry / wet balance for them.
alaicc37
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 04:00:29 AM »

I use a Reverb guitar pedal on my synths. Talking minimalism here.
Díoltas
Level 0

https://soundcloud.com/dioltasmusic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »

I relied on the built in reverbs in Cubase for a long long time and they did their job but looking back now I really wish I had explored them more and experimented with different plugins. I'm a little late arriving to the convolution party but the potential of it is amazing to me. I used a mix of covolution and the old stock plugins in my latest mix and I got great results so I think convolution will be in every mix from now on. Time and a place for every different type though. Space Designer was what introduced me to it and I must say it's an impressive reverb unit but I run Cubase at home. I found a free convolution reverb vst called Reverberate, look it up if anyone on pc is looking for one. Getting good results with some IRs I got from the Voxengo site.

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »

Just a little heads up.

Melda Multiband Convolution verb is on sale, 50% off: http://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiBandConvolution

It's cheap anyway, but if you don't want to shell out for something like Altiverb this might do the trick Smiley

I actually got the Total Bundle a while ago. Not for everyone, but his plugins really do have a lot of features that other others do not - and more and more are finding their way into my productions.

-Brian

MisfitChris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:41:02 AM »

I don't know much about the different types of reverb. But I've been using Valhalla DSP in place of Ableton stock reverb a lot lately. Pretty great reverb and also very minimal interface. Doesn't take up much processing power.

I also use Izotope Ozones reverb. But I use it on groups of instruments and I use it very sparingly. I tend to work with a lot of dry sounds (Sound Fonts etc) and Izotope reverb gives those sounds a little depth. But like I said, i use it very subtlety to the point where a listener probably wouldn't know it was there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:05:10 AM by MisfitChris » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic