Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:26:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBounty Road - Auto Gang RPG!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Bounty Road - Auto Gang RPG!  (Read 17217 times)
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 09:59:28 PM »

yeah that's the idea, the camera is always moving and the movement issues are relative.

"Always moving" is the idea, sorta like on the highway, everything is fast but relatively slow at the same time.

I made a quick video to show chase cam vs static cam

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:34:44 PM by thekosmonaut » Logged

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »

I really like all the graphic effects you've implemented so far! Following here too Cool

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »

Cool, thanks for showing that!  Can't wait to see more

Caravan: devlog | website
Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 04:07:23 AM »

[watching]

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »

Hey, just read through your devlog and the game looks amazing! Have you played around with tail lights? I thought it was a little odd in the night gifs that the only light sources are headlights.

Also, will motorcycles be able to do any close combat? I imagine it wouldn't be very effective against anything but other motorcycles but I felt like it would fit with the theme, though I can't imagine it'd actually be all that necessary.
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 03:33:22 AM »

Hey, just read through your devlog and the game looks amazing! Have you played around with tail lights? I thought it was a little odd in the night gifs that the only light sources are headlights.

Also, will motorcycles be able to do any close combat? I imagine it wouldn't be very effective against anything but other motorcycles but I felt like it would fit with the theme, though I can't imagine it'd actually be all that necessary.

Here you go.

Close combat is something I am thinking about, but it would require a lot of animation. I think it would be pretty epic to have some guys or girls jumping through the air to another car and capturing it.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 07:20:11 AM »

Amazing graphic effects.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

thank you

Actually since I didn't have much time for the game itself lately because both me and my friend, the 3d artist, were rather busy and had a hard time meeting up/talking I tried to make a different rendering engine and try out some stuff.

I've gone with a deferred engine and i implemented a different diffuse lighting model, some glass shaders and different shadow mapping techniques and rudimentary HDR. I think some of that stuff will make it back to Bounty Road, I'm rather pleased with Virtual Shadow Maps for example.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:29:50 AM by thekosmonaut » Logged

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »

I saw the thread about geometry ship trails in the monogame forums so I decided to quickly implement this stuff to have some tire track / trails for my cars in bounty road!

Am pretty happy with the result

I wrote up a tutorial (with complete game code) on my wordpress page https://kosmonautblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/29/geometry-trails-tire-tracks-tutorial/

Maybe someone will find that useful

(click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:48:12 AM by thekosmonaut » Logged

Babar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 12:17:15 PM »

I love how it looks and the arcade feeling of the gameplay. Good luck for dev ! Make us a demo sometime :p

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »

I love how it looks and the arcade feeling of the gameplay. Good luck for dev ! Make us a demo sometime :p

Thanks, I'll think about it

I have some spare time recently, so I started to think more about the world map.

I originally had a 3d map in mind, but I think 2D will be faster to develop and can still look stylish.

So I threw some stuff together. I feel like trails showing where you went are super important for a map, so I spent some hours implementing this properly.

Now the question remains what kind of style I want to go for with the map.

Cloth with the "pirate treasure hunt" feel?
A PDA?
Futuristic map (blueish)?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »

Whatever you choose, I suggest avoiding the "oscilloscope" vector look that Fallout has - it'll be too cliché IMO.
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »

I think I'll go with an old map, I scribbled some stuff together for now and I like the way it's going

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2016, 02:54:02 AM »

Yay, a milestone reached!

All the basic systems the game needs are up and running.

- World Map / view
- Dialog / Event system
- Combat mode (dynamic and static camera)
- Inventory / Loot

And to celebrate the day I uploaded a video which briefly touches on all of that.

Check it out

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:07 AM »

I like the hand drawn map, but the sprite on top breaks the immersion for me. What if you made it look like a physical token of some sorts?
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 04:28:52 AM »

I like the hand drawn map, but the sprite on top breaks the immersion for me. What if you made it look like a physical token of some sorts?

Ah yes, I drew the sprite before I made the map but didn't change the style.

I was thinking maybe have a similar sort of sprite just a bit more rugged and paper-like with a small shadow and all.

A physical thing would probably be a great choice for immersion though, do you guys have any ideas what it could be? (The car from monopoly haha. Actually could I use the ingame car as a sort of miniature?)
Something wooden? A miniature? Something casual like a beer cap, an old piece of money?

The conflict then lies with the fact that I have these trails / dotted lines on the map, which I also want to have for some NPC car gangs. This would not really make sense if it's "oh look I just have a map here and I use this piece of junk to estimate my position"

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »

Yeah, a tin miniature could work! Although maybe you want a kind of "flat" gaming token that lies on top, because the "logical" viewpoint would be on the roof of that miniature, GTA 1 & 2 style, so it wouldn't be very recognisable...

A very old scratched coin perhaps?

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »

because who doesn't like swarm rockets

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »

because who doesn't like swarm rockets

Dig the game and love swarm rockets, but the chromatic abberation seems a bit much — it also doesn't really seem related to the themes you're game is working with. It kind of implies some sort of "reality" that is breaking?

CANTATA
thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »

Yes yes, I agree.
Right now every explosion adds a tiny distortion, but when 12 rockets explode at the same time it adds up. That and the gif sampling are an unfortunate combination.

I will tone it down for these, but no worries the effect can be turned off completely.

On a different note I finally worked on making the desert colors and environment maps a bit more charming.

EDIT:

Actually like this. I always forget to turn of f.lux for color sensitive work.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:36:41 PM by thekosmonaut » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic