Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:12:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Choosing The Right Programming Language
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Choosing The Right Programming Language  (Read 2390 times)
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »

Speaking of games, if the goal is to make games, what about game creation systems like Game Maker Studio? What am I restricted to?

I mean I still want to learn how to code to make games but I want to know the pros and cons between the two.

I feel the obvious would be restrictions.
If I want to make a side scroller/top down, what would I be restricted to?

To make my earlier point clearer:

If your goal is making a specific game, pick the tool that does that most efficiently for your skill set.

Game maker studio is fine for 2d side scrollers, is particularly friendly to beginners, and has a huge wealth of information available online.

If you're just sort of wishy-washy "I want to make a side scroller [to learn about game making in general]", and you have a future goal of slotting into more complex projects as a programmer, then it'd also be fine to pick a more industry-standard language and learn it as you go.

This will likely make your game take a lot longer, and you'll likely fall victim to "the things I've learned make me realise how bad my earlier code was, time to trash everything and start from scratch". Meaning, it will be a good learning experience, but it will not necessarily be conducive to finishing and releasing a completed game.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic