Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:00:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTiny Settlers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Settlers  (Read 739 times)
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »

Hey! I started out making a little strategy/fort builder for the Low Rez Jam, but missed the deadline... But I still finished what I woulda submitted, and uploaded it!

Tiny Settlers is a fast paced settlement building game in a reeeeally early state. Click on stuff to harvest it, press B to build houses, and make sure you have enough food to not starve to death overnight. The days go pretty fast!
https://sketcheswithkevin.itch.io/tiny-settlers

Right now it's really bare minimum, but I'm planning on cleaning it up, adding content, and boosting it past the starting 64x64!

Check it out and let me know what you think!  Coffee
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »

Hello,

I tried your game out and here is my feedback in no particular order:

1- I really liked the general visual feel of the game, it is nice Smiley.

2- I liked the simplicity of the gameplay, that said, it got tiring pretty quickly as there was nothing for me to do but just keep my workers busy and build more houses.

3- I found a bug where you can't assign a worker to a resource that was assigned and not depleted yet.

4- When night comes the entire screen goes dark blue and I can't see anything. I am guessing this is by design but I kind of thought the screen would just darken to simulate night and I can control my workers but to a limited extent or even watch them sleep for a few seconds.

Since as you said there isn't much to comment on, that is the feedback I have. All in all, however, I think this might be a good resources/time management game given time, polish and a few tweaks here and there. I like the mechanic that your settlers grow automatically and you need to account for their growth. But I don't think this alone is enough to build an entire game on top of. I think it may need a few more things to make it more interesting. Good luck!

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:55:25 PM »

RAAWR Thanks so much for the feedback man. I'm so excited just to get it.  Tears of Joy I'm glad you like the look, started it myself but got a little help from my fiance near the end of the jam to make it look good.
You're absolutely right on all points! I've been coming up with some ideas for content and making it, well, a bit fun. Smiley

I didn't think about the night bit though! I think the night-ends at least need a bit more polish, definitely, to make it a bit more engaging for the player. Like getting to see their villagers sleeping or something!
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »

Sounds like you have a plan, that is excellent! Good luck and I am looking forward to see your next update ^_^

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »

Updated the game! But it doesn't particularly have any new content, just some quality of life stuff.

I like how easy Gamemaker is, but in the future I might opt for an engine that can do HTML5 stuff for free... I know it's kind of a pain to download .exes to playtest.
batemanapproves
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:31 AM »

Enjoyed this one. Will reiterate what was stated above in that there is not much to do yet besides 'keeping your workers busy'. Some enemies/ different buildings/ upgrades for your units could be fun. Really liked the visual style. It can be a bit difficult to manage workers when you have a lot of them on different sections of the screen so maybe a clickable mini-map would help (something like that, faster scroll maybe?).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic