Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:58:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)About RGSS scripts and usage rights
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: About RGSS scripts and usage rights  (Read 547 times)
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

Hello!
I'm making a game with good old rpgmaker xp - I know it's outdated, but I like it and it's perfectly suitable for the kind of game I'm making. However, I have an huge problem concerning the usage of scripts I found online.

I'm trying to program everything by myself, but I found a few useful RGSS scripts online and I'd very much like to use them in my game. The problem is, most script are from old, abandoned forums, and they have no notes regarding usage rights in commercial games. I'd like to ask for permission and pay a few bucks to those valiant scripters, but trying to contact them is proving to be quite difficult.

What should I do? I think I could replicate those scripts by myself, but then, wouldn't it be plagiarism?
I know probably nobody will care about old scripts being used in a little indie game, but I'd like to do the decent thing.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »

Well, if you're concerned about it, then don't use the scripts. However, if you look at the scripts, figure out the concepts, and write your own for your own purpose. Well, that's hardly plagiarism(in fact, I bet if you break down the scripts in question they more or less do the same thing. I mean, you can't copyright a verb). In fact, if it was, the broader programming community would be screwed.

Hell, you may actually be able to do the same thing better, after all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic