Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:05:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCashing in checks in the US
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cashing in checks in the US  (Read 2343 times)
raiten
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »

I have a check I want to cash while I'm in the US. But, I'm not a resident, and I'm not a US national, so I'm worried the bank won't let me! I have no idea how checks work, I live in the part of Europe where we gave up on that in the 60's. Can I cash it in? Will I get the money immediately? Will I be put on a terrorist waiting list?

The check is a Bank Of America check, if that makes any difference?

Oh and this is not off topic because the check is a payment for a game.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »

Most banks do require that you be a member before they cash your checks, but a lot will cash your check and take a 5 dollar fee, or something usually. You get your money immediately when you cash a check, pending that the other person didn't bounce it. I would just got to a bank and try. You won't get in trouble for trying, as long as the check is made out to your name.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »

I had to do that years ago at a conference in San Diego. I remember that they took our fingerprints, but we got the money straight away; I don't remember if there was a fee.

raiten
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:49:20 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I'd be absolutely fine with a fee, it's just I need to know if I'll be able to cash it since I'm planning on spending that money while in the US.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic