Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:16:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFailed Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Etc
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Failed Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Etc  (Read 788 times)
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »

To those of you who have failed to reach funding on a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/etc, did you eventually relaunch? What did you learn from the first try? What other options did you look into besides just relaunching on the same platform as before?

... Asking for a friend.   Who, Me?

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:45:41 AM »

You might want to ask the CrossCode Devs about it (RadicalFishGames). Not sure if they are active in this forum.
Anyway first time around, their Indigogo campaign ran out of time, but the platform has this feature where you can prolong the process once by a month. Second time they got funded on the last day by giving the last minute backers a special bonus offer, if I remember correctly. 

matwek
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »

One of the projects I worked on failed its Kickstarter, but plenty of the backers asked us to try again and even offered to help out with getting the word out.

Relaunching seem like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Just make sure you don't make the same mistakes and do your best to read up the dos and donts of Kickstarter. I some guy from these forums did some really detailed posts on the subject in our post mortum. Have a read through his posts in other topics as well...
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45606.0

In the end we got picked up by a publisher right after the kickstarted failed and they offered to fund the project... but that didn't exactly go to well for us in the end either, but thats a topic for another day.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:02 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Lares! I am actually friends with some of the CrossCode devs on Twitter and we've been chatting off and on about the hardships of Kickstarting. Matwek, that's a really interesting and helpful breakdown of your Kickstarter, thanks for sharing! I'd really like to pick your brain about the publisher route (privately) if you're at liberty to discuss.

Our campaign is still going on (9 days left) so I'm thinking of writing up a postmortem afterwards. What worked for us, what didn't work for us. Maybe we can gather some feedback on that to see what the next option is for Arcadian Atlas?

matwek
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:49:22 AM »

I don't want to give the impression that publishers are bad, without them we wouldn't have been able to make the game and they were only part of the reason why our game had a less than ideal release. I don't want to be one of those guys who blames everything on someone else.
But if you want to shoot me a PM then I'll be happy to give you some advice on what to look out for and what we missed the first time around.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic