Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:26:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDEMO : Synthoid Messiah. a remix of Sentinel
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DEMO : Synthoid Messiah. a remix of Sentinel  (Read 451 times)
Blackson
Level 0

Blackson

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »

Hi All,

Let me introduce you to Synthoid Messiah. A remix of the old old old, old old old game, "Sentinel". A first person "Energy Management" Game, I think is what they called it, whatever that means. I loved the original as a kid and always imagined it kinda like I remixed it.

Don't you wanna give it a go and let me know what you think needs to be improved?
This game is not easy, in fact, on some levels it can be brutal.

Here is the synopsis:
You are a synthoid, A life form that can telleport between Mojopods(pods for short, infact I just made that name up Smiley ).
Your lands have been invaded by the Sentinels and their menacing minions called Insectoids (Insect like robots that defend their masters).

The player takes control of a Synthoid pod, armed with an electron flux laser for absorbing energy and cloning objects and side mounted blasters for dealing with Insectoids. A pod cannot move but can clone other pods and telleport the Synthoid within from pod to pod.

Controlling pods that are standing at a higher altitude is fundamental to the game, only objects with a visible base can be absorbed (the player may absorb or create objects on a boulder if the sides can be seen).

At all times the player must avoid the gaze of any Sentinels or else they will start absorbing energy from the pod, and when all your energy is gone, the game is over.

Height is gained by cloning a boulder on any visible, flat ground, and cloning a pod on the boulder. The player may then transfer the Synthoid to the new pod, absorbing the old one to conserve energy. Stacks of boulders of any height can be created, if the player has enough energy. In order to absorb the Sentinel, the player must create a stack of boulders of sufficient height that the pod on top can look down on the Sentinel's platform. When the Sentinel has been absorbed, the player may no longer absorb any energy from the landscape, although objects may be created as normal.

In later levels, the Sentinel is assisted by a number of Sentries. They behave exactly like the Sentinel, but absorbing them is not necessary to complete the level. Unlike the Sentinel, the Sentries do not stand on a platform but on ordinary ground. Attention must also be paid to nearby trees: if the Sentinel or Sentry cannot see the ground on which the pod is standing, but can see the pod, they will call out to the insectiods to swarm on your position.

Sentinels and the Sentries turn slowly and predictably. However, if there are many Sentries, there will be few safe locations anywhere on the landscape. If either the Sentinel or the Sentries come across a source of energy (boulders or a pod) their rotation stops while they absorb the energy, one unit at a time. Meanwhile, to keep the total energy of the landscape constant, a tree is created randomly on the landscape for each absorbed unit of energy.

Insectoids love energy and Synthoid flesh, avoid or kill. Larger insectoids in later levels might need to be avoided or killed from a distance as they are very powerful. Insectiods keep reproducing, the never stop coming.

A level is won by absorbing the Sentinel off its platform, creating a new pod in the place of the Sentinel and transferring the Synthoid to that pod.

The more energy you complete a level with, the more levels you unlock after each stage. (1 energy = 1 stage).

Objects that you will encounter:

Trees (1 unit of energy)

Insectoids (provides a small amount of energy when destroyed (1/3))

Boulders (2 units of energy)

Pods (3 units of energy)

Sentry (3 units of energy)

Sentinel (3 units of energy)

Download from: http://www.indiedb.com/downloads/start/100310
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:56:25 AM by Blackson » Logged

Blackson
Level 0

Blackson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:39:54 AM »

That bad hey?  Cry 3 days no replies   No No NO I will go sit in a dark room and think about what I've done .. with no dinner Concerned

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »

Hey man, I'm not going to play your game cause I'm tired, but I'll give you some tips on making your thread a little more active. First of all, there's so many people here that are developers vs people just playing indie games that a bunch of games don't get any messages. That's fine.

On the other hand, there's probably a reason why no one has responded to your game. Your presentation is pretty awful. If you want people to look at your game, let them look at it first. Place screenshots that aren't so tiny. These screenshots are so small it's impossible to read what's happening in them and there's no way to make them bigger.

Secondly, stop with all this text. No one really wants to read a manual to play someone's demo. Just give a few lines of what makes your game special or stand out. You can always explain the instructions in a Readme or something. At least put them later.

Just my two cents. Also, don't use indiedb, nobody here uses that. Try itch.io, it lets you get feedback from people who play indie games exclusively and let's you make prettier pages.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Blackson
Level 0

Blackson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 12:29:42 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Thanks dude, I will take your advice!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic