Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:49:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWILL: A Wonderful World - An Interactive Novel Style Puzzle Game [Greenlight]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WILL: A Wonderful World - An Interactive Novel Style Puzzle Game [Greenlight]  (Read 699 times)
sallybear
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »

WILL: A Wonderful World is an innovative interactive novel style puzzle game. Playing as a god, you wield the power of shaping the fate of the mortals who seek your help.

Stories are told through messages and prayers sent to you from the mortals. Unlike most visual novels in which you are mostly taking multiple choices tests, you are able to change the characters’ fate by rearranging snippets of stories in their messages. In other words, you advance the game not by making subjective choices on their behalf, but by changing the objective events that happened to them.

With your power, you can alter the sequence of one’s actions, swap events between mortals, or even switch their blood types. You are the god who bestows your benevolence (or wrath) upon the mortals, by manipulating the causes and the consequences.

Each level has multiple endings yielded from hundreds, even thousands of possible combinations. The endings might be happy, sad, funny, solemn, or more, all at the same time. Only a selected few endings will further unlock the future plots, but exploring all possible endings will help you understand the story better.

There are many different scenes in WILL: A Wonderful World. Your goal is to help solve the problems of the mortals, using your godly power, and unveil the truth behind the wonderful world.

Our game is now on Steam Greenlight! Check here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=665757282

Story

There is an urban legend—

Write down your troubles on a note and pray. A god shall hear your story as relayed.

People who believe in the legend live all over this world, in every shape and form.
They write and pray to the god, seeking help for their troubles.

A quiet nerd stuck in a hopeless crush.
An impoverished artist contemplating suicide.
A rookie police officer hoping for his first big case.
A young woman desperately chasing her dream.
Even a stray cat who would be satisfied with just some foods.

There are more, but I shall not spoil it for you.

God is good, and makes choices for the greater good.
However, are they really the best choices for mortals?

What would the world be like if such a god exists?
What if, you can be the god?

Behind the Game

The idea of this game came from one of our favorite comic books, Shinya Shokudō, which tells a story about an eatery opened only after midnights. People with different and even strange jobs come to this eatery for food, and tell their stories. Inspired by this comic book, we want to create a game where the player can help people solving their problems.

The largest difficulty of making the game is to assign endings for every possible combination, in order to gain maximum freedom in the game. The number of possible combinations increases exponentially as the number of possible movements increases. (e.g., two free movements can generate 2 combinations, 3 generate 6, 4 generate 24, 5 generate 120 and 6 generate 720.)

Most of the levels in this game have no less than 5 possible movements, which brings more than 120 different combinations needed to be assigned with reasonable endings exhaustively. One possible solution for the problem is to use a scoring mechanism. However, using a scoring mechanism in a semantic system is a disaster because there is no logical connection between cause and effect. To solve this problem, we design the scheme to classify the combinations into several condition groups, which can guarantee that every possible combination is assigned with a reasonable ending.

How to Play

The way you play this game is very simple. There are only “clicking” and “dragging”. White blocks are movable, so you can change their order.

After rearranging the blocks, the player will be able to see their renewed fate.

Compared to single-row levels, in double-row levels, white blocks can be moved not only vertically, but also horizontally.

The best ending unlocks a new story, while other endings are also interesting because some important plots hide there. Therefore, it is also of fun to collect different endings.

Here is the promo video introducing the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/CgvQeG75ytQ

I will continue updating the dev log and be glad to hear from you.
Hope you like it!  Smiley
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »

SUBBED! This is extremely cool! Almost like a virtual choose your own path/story book! May I ask what it is being made in?

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:38:00 AM »

I'm digging the art style. The title banner is especially well polished.

I'm curious how you're generating the possible endings? Are you hand-writing a new ending for every permutation of actions, or are you procedurally generating them somehow?

sallybear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:53:24 AM »

SUBBED! This is extremely cool! Almost like a virtual choose your own path/story book! May I ask what it is being made in?

Thanks! @M4uesviecr
We made this game with unity.
sallybear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:02:29 AM »

I'm digging the art style. The title banner is especially well polished.

I'm curious how you're generating the possible endings? Are you hand-writing a new ending for every permutation of actions, or are you procedurally generating them somehow?

Thanks! @bdsowers
For example, in levels which have 5 movable blocks and double sides, the amount of possible permutations is 6x5x4x3x2 = 720. So it is impossible to hand-writing a new ending for every one. We classify the large permutations into groups with logical judgement. In complex levels, there might be 7-8 different endings or so, and we hand-writing these endings to make a balance between logical inference and surprise for the players.
sallybear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »

A latest drawing of a sad scene.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »

why is the cat eating the dog?
sallybear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:26:30 PM »

why is the cat eating the dog?

He is crying for his dead mother (not a dog) Cry
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »

oh Sad  i thought it was a shiba inu (head and color)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic