Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:58:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsECHOPLEX 回音倒影 | Cyber-horror Puzzle Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: ECHOPLEX 回音倒影 | Cyber-horror Puzzle Game  (Read 7617 times)
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2016, 06:49:31 AM »

Available now on Steam Early Access for Windows and Mac

ECHOPLEX is a cyberhorror puzzle game set in a chilling near-future.

In the Echoplex, you are followed by an “Echo” -- a duplicate of yourself who repeats everything you do. Faced with a series of puzzles, your goal is to outwit your Echo using strategy and cunning — and retrieve memory fragments that hold the secret to who you are...

ECHOPLEX combines minimalist graphics with live action footage to create an immersive and chilling story world.

• Solve unusual spatial puzzles anchored by an innovative Echo gameplay mechanic.
  • Experience the story through puzzle-solving and live-action video clips shot by an indie film director.
  • Explore intriguing, minimalist environments.
  • Enjoy an abstract soundscape augmented by a “cyber-horror” score composed by Revin Goff.
  • Play under intense time pressure as your Echo draws near...

ECHOPLEX is developed by Output Games

ECHOPLEX Website
Output Games Website
Twitter
Facebook
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:11:42 AM by typhvs » Logged

ECHOPLEX Early Access MARCH 2017
Get notified when ECHOPLEX releases
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »

Goodbye prototype!

Today we start work on the beta version of Echoplex (and officially stop fiddling with the prototype).  

The feedback from the prototype has been sooo useful - if you haven't checked it out yet, please do:  http://echoplex.co.  

I'd love to hear your feedback - there's a quick lil form here: http://echoplexgame.com/feedback/

Main feedback so far:

1. Aesthetic is interesting but disorientating (because of blank walls). Also it's low rezzy.  (We'll fix that)
2. Levels are not rated by difficulty, so game seems very hard when you pick a level at random
3. I just died for no reason! wtf is this game about anyway?! Answer: Your Echo is following you - if he catches up with you, you die. Soz.

There's lots more stuff we're working on (sound design, streamlined level editor, etc) - looking forward to sharing progress with you...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:27:24 AM by typhvs » Logged

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »

So… to introduce our little team. Hand Metal Left  My name is Tyron Janse van Vuuren (the goober on the right).  I am the game director/marketer of Echoplex.  On the left is Henk Scheepers, who does the programming and art direction.

We’re from South Africa, and we met doing client work (mostly corporate events and activations).  I’m a creative director professionally, and Henk codes. 

Henk and I share an interest in minimalism and clean design, so when I first had the idea for Echoplex, Henk was the obvious collaborator.  He has done great work developing the look and feel of the game and, equally importantly, is also our resident DJ while we work.

Echoplex is a passion project for us, so we work on it in our spare time.  The pictures above were taken on a typical Saturday - on the weekends we sit across from each other in my apartment working on the game.

You can see my previous creative work (mostly short films) at http://tyron.tv, and visit Henk’s Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/donderbos/

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

Well this is cool.

Very minimalist, and awesomely reminiscent of those "escape-the-room" games you'd find on old Flash websites in the early 2000's.

Bookmarked Wink

P.S. - *EDIT* I'm going to finish up dinner/some work and then give this prototype a go! I'll let you know what I think.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:48 PM »

Really intriguing!

I like the community aspect of level building and being able to submit. Definitely adds a new layer of challenge. I had a hard time completing some of the levels hahahah  Cheesy

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »

Really intriguing!

I like the community aspect of level building and being able to submit. Definitely adds a new layer of challenge. I had a hard time completing some of the levels hahahah  Cheesy

Hey Tony, thanks for the feedback!  Smiley Glad you enjoyed the prototype.  Some of those levels are pretty tough, in the alpha version we will rank levels by difficulty so players don't need to start out on the hardest levels.  Grin

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 01:52:34 AM »

One of my favorite Echoplex alpha renderings for #screenshotsaturday

Created by Henk in Blender - we’re currently working on getting things to look like this inside Unity  Hand Metal Left

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39:20 AM »

How did humans get anything done before FaceTime?  Shrug

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 04:58:09 AM »

Our experiments with CMYK colors and global illumination - interesting...

Sometimes the combinations look really pretty (yellow light in a cyan corridor), other times it’s a bit “edgy”  (magenta light in a yellow corridor, which makes a mustard/peach weirdness).

But with some tweaking of levels and intensity, I think we can get it to work.  

And then we can study the psychological impact of being trapped in a candy colored labyrinth, haha...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:18:34 PM by typhvs » Logged

rarelikeaunicorn
Level 0

Just keep walking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »

One of my favorite Echoplex alpha renderings for #screenshotsaturday

Created by Henk in Blender - we’re currently working on getting things to look like this inside Unity  Hand Metal Left

While all the iterations of the game look great so far, this particular render stands out as the best to me. The additional structural details (compared to several of the other screengrabs) help keep the eye anchored really well and the dimmed lighting provides good contrast to the sharp yellow while also being less eye-straining.

Emma Larkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Do you have a trailer? I'd love to see more.

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »

Do you have a trailer? I'd love to see more.

Hey Emma! We're working on the alpha trailer now - until then you can see a short demo of the prototype gameplay here: http://echoplex.co  Smiley

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »

While all the iterations of the game look great so far, this particular render stands out as the best to me. The additional structural details (compared to several of the other screengrabs) help keep the eye anchored really well and the dimmed lighting provides good contrast to the sharp yellow while also being less eye-straining.

Hey thanks so much rarelikeunicorn, that's great feedback!  It's one of my favorites too.  This frame took 30 mins to render  Who, Me? so we haven't quite got the actual game to look like that yet, haha...

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »

Setting priorities as a dev

Pretty sneaky trap…

Yesterday Henk and I were discussing what we should focus on next.

Our first priority list looked like this:

1. Add ceiling lights that flicker when the Echo (the antagonist) approaches
2. Work on the reflectivity of the floor
3. Get the illumination inside the door frames right

REALITY CHECK TO SELF: We’re building an alpha. In our spare time. There’s only two of us.  Reflective floors can fuckin wait.

We need to focus on one thing: fundamentals that make the game sticky.  That’s all.

Get the basics right.  Find out if anyone gives a damn.  Then, sure, tweak aesthetics.  

That stuff matters, but not as much as engaged users.

So our revised priority list is:

1. Add only game-critical elements to the new look and feel
2. Create a simpler, more intuitive level editor
3. Create a badge/ranking system that rewards users for interaction

Priorities dude.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:33 AM »

I agree with the above! I really like the rendered photo the best. If it's possible to make the game look like that, graphically, I say go for it!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »

I agree with the above! I really like the rendered photo the best. If it's possible to make the game look like that, graphically, I say go for it!

Hopefully it will look something like that by the time we get to beta  Grin

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »

We're experimenting with portal rendering on the doorways so that the Echoplex can form impossible shapes - the weird lighting effect on the floor is being caused by an occlusion problem that we have now fixed.  

I also threw a soundscape under the screencapture to give a sense of atmosphere - pretty rad!

(Music: "Behaviour statistics" by Salakapakka Sound System (http://ikuinen-kaamos.blogspot.com))
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:39:14 PM by typhvs » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:38 AM »

Looking great!

The use of the soundscape gives me some ideas as to what we discussed. I'll keep you posted Wink

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »

Looking great!

The use of the soundscape gives me some ideas as to what we discussed. I'll keep you posted Wink

Thanks Tony! Smiley

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 06:26:53 AM »

I like the blue-green with magenta outlines the best. But thats just aesthetic and doesnt account for the emotion you want to convey.

As for this
And then we can study the psychological impact of being trapped in a candy colored labyrinth, haha...

I am sure there is plenty of information you can find on the psychological impacts of various colors.  I know that "Drunk tank pink" is a color they have used in drunk tanks and even some Football locker rooms (for the opposing team) to help subdue them and make them less aggressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker-Miller_Pink

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic