Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:09:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsECHOPLEX 回音倒影 | Cyber-horror Puzzle Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: ECHOPLEX 回音倒影 | Cyber-horror Puzzle Game  (Read 7615 times)
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »

I like the blue-green with magenta outlines the best. But thats just aesthetic and doesnt account for the emotion you want to convey.

As for this
And then we can study the psychological impact of being trapped in a candy colored labyrinth, haha...

I am sure there is plenty of information you can find on the psychological impacts of various colors.  I know that "Drunk tank pink" is a color they have used in drunk tanks and even some Football locker rooms (for the opposing team) to help subdue them and make them less aggressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker-Miller_Pink

Wow that's pretty fascinating.  I stared at the Baker-Miller pink for a while, and I did feel calmer.   Smiley

ECHOPLEX Early Access MARCH 2017
Get notified when ECHOPLEX releases
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »

This looks and sounds like an interesting game. I'll throw my +1 into the ring and say I like that render as well. Really clean and simple. I think two of the things in addition to the structure of the hallway / doorway that makes is that the room is relatively dark, with the light being rather bright (with the reflection), and the additional noise and AO of Cycles.

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 11:22:50 PM »

This looks and sounds like an interesting game. I'll throw my +1 into the ring and say I like that render as well. Really clean and simple. I think two of the things in addition to the structure of the hallway / doorway that makes is that the room is relatively dark, with the light being rather bright (with the reflection), and the additional noise and AO of Cycles.

Thanks SolarLune! it looks like that render is winning.  Beer!

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »

Feedback we're often hearing is to add narrative to Echoplex - this is something we're now working on.

We're still keeping the level design feature, just with a simpler social system than the BADGES! RANKING! GLORY! we had planned.

So above is the beginnings of our new design for the level editor - one that is simpler and more intuitive. 

This is our first step towards a grid system that will allow designers to do all tasks in one screen. 

This also makes it easier for us to design levels for story mode.  Smiley 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:46:07 PM by typhvs » Logged

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »

Our second test using portal rendering on the doors of the Echoplex.  

Portals allow us to form "impossible" architecture - doors will lead to different rooms depending which way you go through them.

The portal is in the center of the doorframe, so right now it is causing some pretty funky color combinations - we're sorting this out.

This is the asset we're using, which seems to be very well supported: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45383

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »

Our friend Tony Manfredonia has created an awesome dark soundscape for Echoplex, you can listen here:

https://archive.org/details/ManfredoniaCybertronicSoundscape

Tony has kindly released the track on Creative Commons - for the level builder side of Echoplex, we will rely on CC submissions so that users can add music to their levels.

Check out Tony's portfolio here, he also does some beautiful neo-classical stuff:

http://www.manfredoniamusic.com/

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »

Streamlining our level editor.  

Cool problem to solve: Let the user create a corridor of any shape without allowing the corridor to be more than one module wide..  Hand Metal Left

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »

Drake dad-dancing in the Echoplex...

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 05:46:30 AM »

Space Invaders? Nope, its the newest feature of our level editor.  We can now add corridors of different colors to the Echoplex.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 06:00:17 AM »

Looks very intersting, but you used much color in the last videos, imho.
The colors cannot shine if everything is shiny. Smiley
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 07:32:24 AM »

Looks very intersting, but you used much color in the last videos, imho.
The colors cannot shine if everything is shiny. Smiley

Yeah, Henk and I were actually saying the exact same thing yesterday.  Our aesthetic has gotten a little out of control with the strong colours.  Who, Me?

We're going to try keep the corridors white and introduce color only through lighting - we'll post something soon...

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 07:03:31 AM »

Our level editor needed a little algorithm to prevent designers from deleting a module that would break the grid system - this is a (slowed down) visualization showing the "flood" system that Henk developed to solve the problem. Purdy.   Hand Metal Left
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:28:38 AM by typhvs » Logged

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »

Developing our level editor - any doors can now be connected, even if they are in the same corridor.

It looks like the level editor will only be for us at this stage.  All feedback we're hearing says the same thing: we should focus our time and resources on building an introductory "story mode" - user-designed levels are for later on once people have an emotional connection to the game.   Smiley

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 08:03:16 AM »

A story mode...?!?!?!

Intrigued even more! :O

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 09:40:24 AM »

how would a story mode fit into a game like this? dont get me wrong, im exceptionally interested, ill be following this, but i dunno how much story you can put into a minimalist game such as this.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »

Thanks guys, we're pretty intrigued too.  Wink

The main criticism of the prototype is that there is no introduction into the game mechanics, so intially the "story mode" will be more of an onboarding experience.

But it's been pretty interesting to imagine how to extend the concept into a narrative.

We will, of course, keep you posted...

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »

In the Echoplex, you're followed by an "echo" of yourself, who you must outwit to win.

This is our first concept art for the Echo character.  I want the Echo to be almost anonymous (as he/she is supposed to be the player). 

I like the full body coverage, and the outfit suits the experimental environment.  Having done this visualization, I think we may leave the eyes in shadow...

What do you think?

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »

My first impression is that if you want the Echo character to remain anonymous then it might be better to show it at a distance.  Having it really close indicates a certain "friendly" familiarity with the character and it doesn't look menacing.  Also, if I was seeing only that image, without any other context, I might assume that I am actually that person.  If you darken the eyes, then that strange and unsettling character might be better at indicating that the character is not the player and the player would need to get away from it.  In either case, maybe explicit showing somehow that someone/something (e.g. a blurry/shadowy character) is chasing another character would make it more obvious that it's not you.

Speaking of "echo", just saw another game's trailer, titled "ECHO" with a similarish theme: 

typhvs
Level 0

the obstacle is the way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »

My first impression is that if you want the Echo character to remain anonymous then it might be better to show it at a distance.  Having it really close indicates a certain "friendly" familiarity with the character and it doesn't look menacing.  Also, if I was seeing only that image, without any other context, I might assume that I am actually that person.  If you darken the eyes, then that strange and unsettling character might be better at indicating that the character is not the player and the player would need to get away from it.  In either case, maybe explicit showing somehow that someone/something (e.g. a blurry/shadowy character) is chasing another character would make it more obvious that it's not you.

Speaking of "echo", just saw another game's trailer, titled "ECHO" with a similarish theme: 

Hey io3, thanks for the feedback! Yea, our NPC probably looks too friendly still - we will darken the eyes I think.

There may also be a blurry/video-liney treatment we can give the character to make it clear that it's a duplicate of you, and not you.

Wow, that Echo game looks cool - there are some interesting similarities.  I think our gameplay and aesthetic are completely different though, and as Echoplex is more of a psychological/puzzle/altgame, I imagine it appeals to quite a different audience too.  Fortunately the internet is big enough for everyone.  Smiley

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »

You should create an echo character which is made of soundwaves. Smiley

Maybe in this direction:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 01:26:44 AM by zorg » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: