Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:19:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhy the goshdarn frick is "addictive" now a buzzword for marketing???
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why the goshdarn frick is "addictive" now a buzzword for marketing???  (Read 872 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »

Isn't addiction generally regarded as a bad thing? Should't a game that advertises itself as being addictive be regarded as lesser to one that doesn't do that? Does it actually increase your sales to associate your game with the idea of self-destructive compulsive behavior?

Seriously though what the fuck? Huh?

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »

Probably a better tactic than the opposite: "Instantly forgettable gameplay! Pick it up once, then never again!"

Seems more like its about players ROI than anything nefarious. Trying to imply that they will get lots of use for their purchase.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »

I think it sounds better (at least to marketing) than  "replay value" but it means the same

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »

I realize that, but it's a really poor choice of words, especially for a medium that is commonly (falsely) accused of causing a whole array of problems related to behavior and compulsions.

I should also mention that this topic is a bit of a personal rant and should not be taken very seriously. I guess seeing it for a millionth time on the app store made me want to be vocal about my frustration with the misuse of the word.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

Seems more like its about players ROI than anything nefarious. Trying to imply that they will get lots of use for their purchase.

true, but there is another side to it: videogame addiction is a real thing and the game industry has this obsession with flow states and keeping players "in the zone" and etc. not that i don't enjoy being "in the zone" sometimes, but it's more than a little creepy that it's accepted as this gospel.

oh also programgamer: addictive being used as a marketing buzzword is nothing new. it's been around for as long as i've played videogames (20 years).
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »

addictive being used as a marketing buzzword is nothing new

duh, but I get the feeling that it's use has increased exponentially since the advent of the app store, which Apple has done a horrible job of quality checking.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

Form what I understand it's also a Very American thing? When Joar was in the states he was always surprised at how crass our advertisements were, but in ways i didn't expect. Pretty much all of our food ads use words like "irresistible" "crave" "indulge" etc., which he said in Sweden would be pretty distasteful, insinuating that people have no self control, which they would find insulting. Obviously we know that Americans *dont* have self control so we are used to this, but it kind of makes you wonder which came first...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »

Hmm idk about that. I am also european (austrian) but our advertising uses lots of words like "irresistible" (unwiderstehlich) for food. there aren't really any videogame ads on tv ever. maybe this is different between different countries.

I remember there being lots of ads in the 90s that implied shit like snickers bars was Good For You tho. good times.
Magurp244
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »

The industry buzzwords that bother me more are the kinds of dry captialistic terms like "monetization", "whale", and "hooks", etc. You have legions of psychologists not trying to cure mental health issues, but poring over and manipulating you in real time to try and get you to keep pushing that little red button. Free to Play for example has become just another euphemism for a honey pot scheme that uses statistical probability and psychological trickery to gain returns on investment.
JWK5
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »

Because nothing sells like catering to addicts and addiction. Consumerism works at all because it exploits deep set addictions.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 03:21:41 AM »

check out neil degamer tyson over here taking figurative language to task
JWK5
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 03:30:28 AM »

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. Cool
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:58 AM »

I get much more annoyed by people saying their game has "addicting gameplay"

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »

"fun factor" will always be the best term
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

anyone remember castle infinity
be like
WELCOME TO THE CASTLE, ASSHOLE?

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »

I see a lot of especially android games, getting marketed as 'addictive' on facebook, and I'm preeeetty sure this has to do with the fact that people play these games to "get lost", and you can easily get lost in a game if it's addictive.

So if you ride the train or some other form of public transport a lot, then it's positive that the game is addictive, as you won't know what happened to you before you have reached your destination. Your transport time has been deleted.

Addictive = time consuming and distracting. Addictive just sounds better.

randomThrowAway
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 03:51:24 AM »

Hahaha I considered making this thread yesterday.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 04:15:15 AM »

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 06:38:49 AM »

I feel this is only a term used for time sink games like mobile titles.

WASTE TIME WITH THIS REVOLUTIONARY NEW ADDICTIVE PUZZLE TITLE CALLED CLASH OF CANDY.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic