Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:28:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCharacter class disignation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Character class disignation  (Read 636 times)
Tacitus_Umbra
Level 0

All the things!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »

Would they be considered part of Gameplay or a Mechanic?
JWK5
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:48:02 PM »

Potentially both.
Tacitus_Umbra
Level 0

All the things!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »

That's exactly my problem. I could fit it in both, but I've stuck it in mechanics for the moment because each class is special in its own way with abilities. Although I'm uncertain if this is correct and I'm making a portfolio to get into design at college.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »

What is the difference between gameplay and mechanic? Is gameplay in this context the same as the dynamics  of the MDA model? And what do you really mean by "class designation"?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:57:12 PM by TitoOliveira » Logged

JWK5
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »

That's exactly my problem. I could fit it in both, but I've stuck it in mechanics for the moment because each class is special in its own way with abilities. Although I'm uncertain if this is correct and I'm making a portfolio to get into design at college.
"Gameplay" generally refers to the overall experience of playing (i.e. how the mechanics come together as a whole), where as "mechanics" usually refers to the actual inner workings of the game, i.e. the individual systems working together to create the gameplay experience.

"Classes", like in an RPG, are generally part of the status mechanics used for determining which abilities are allotted, how stats grow, etc. so if you absolutely had to tag them as either "gameplay" or "mechanics" they'd be mechanics.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »

"Gameplay" generally refers to the overall experience of playing (i.e. how the mechanics come together as a whole), where as "mechanics" usually refers to the actual inner workings of the game, i.e. the individual systems working together to create the gameplay experience.

"Classes", like in an RPG, are generally part of the status mechanics used for determining which abilities are allotted, how stats grow, etc. so if you absolutely had to tag them as either "gameplay" or "mechanics" they'd be mechanics.

But, complementing what you said, if the choice of class also interferes on how the game is played. For instance, choosing a Tank class plays very differently than choosing the Ranger class. That would be classified as gameplay.

@op
You really have to pick one? The definitive answer would require to understand the nature of the game we're talking about. A classic RPG where most of the interactions lie on the difference between stats and dice rolls, rather than the actual skill of the player, would make the answer really weight towards Mechanic.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic