Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:44:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessingame advertising good market?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ingame advertising good market?  (Read 7543 times)
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:07:16 AM »

What do you think of using game adds to make revenue, in game 'dynamic' adds, adds that play between levels loading or commercials before the game stats. Do you think this is a good way to generate revenue, I was thinking about running some niche fps in a browser and using commercials to make the money and have these games to play online for free, is this a good market do you think. Of course one would have to get good traffic, but I see it as a sort development cycle, and who can resist free games, if the quality is good.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:01:57 AM »

I would hate to see it take off at the level of quality you imply - but I don't have any objection to it at the small, flash game level.

I like that developers can make a living with small, experimental games without having to directly charge the players anything. As long as the ads are unintrusive and used to a minimum, I think it's a good idea. When the games start to get bigger, however, I don't think that applies. I really hate the idea of those billboards in couterstrike, for example.

As for whether or not there's a market for it, I've no idea.

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:43:39 AM »

I don't have a problem with in-game ads as long as they don't get in the way. Like, if they're just posters or banners or product placement, that's fine. If the final boss is a can of Pepsi, maybe not.

WWW.ZOMBIESAURUSGAMES.COM
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 06:11:34 AM »

I don't have a problem with in-game ads as long as they don't get in the way. Like, if they're just posters or banners or product placement, that's fine. If the final boss is a can of Pepsi, maybe not.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:26:02 AM »

What do you think of using game adds to make revenue, in game 'dynamic' adds, adds that play between levels loading or commercials before the game stats. Do you think this is a good way to generate revenue, I was thinking about running some niche fps in a browser and using commercials to make the money and have these games to play online for free, is this a good market do you think. Of course one would have to get good traffic, but I see it as a sort development cycle, and who can resist free games, if the quality is good.

Why not, here's a thought, why not make a good game and sell it for money?

You don't need ads, especially really fucking annoying ones like what you're talking about. Ads in games like you describe annoy the piss out of me just like they do on the television or on web sites. If you can get someone to put some product placement in, a coke can machine that gives you health or something, that wouldn't be so bad, but nothing... well, little makes me more angry than the idea of a game that reinforces the idea that video games are ripe fruit for the advertisers to start picking.

Screw the advertisers. They are fucking up the world, don't help them do it.

fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »

Just looking for alternate revenue, unsure about how much revenue can be made in this line, I think one needs major traffic to make money from advertising, though free is a good incentive, especially if one can corner a niche market, yes your right, just make a good game and sell it, but one has a long dev cycle that costs, with advertising one may make a return quicker perhaps?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »

The best things in life are worth waiting/working for.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »

If I had to put ads in any of my games I'd do it at the very end of the game (when you ask to quit) just as a second screen that you can instantly skip as you return to the desktop. Like, you double-press Esc and you don't even have to see it, and it doesn't obstruct anything as far as the actual game goes. There would even be an option somewhere to turn it off completely.

Personally, I'd like to find a way to generate revenue out of free to play games myself because I, personally, don't have my own money, so practically all I play is free. So I can understand the position of people like myself. Expecially if I make very personal games that I want as many people to see as possible, I'd like to keep them free. Though ads may be very intrusive, perhaps there are other paths to money making with free stuff. Besides donation, of course. If anybody knows some other possibilities it would be neat to speak of them here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »

Also do an option that for a fee you can have a version without the adds, So you can make money from adverts from the free game and sell it as well, the hook is the free version, then from their we have our customer base that we can sell extra features to.

20 usd seems like a cut point on games, any less and the buyer will believe price is related to perceived value, for 20 usd we have to make a reasonably sized game, this takes time and investment,we want a quicker return on these, we could offer a smaller game, less dev time, quicker return, but it will be charged at less and may have a stigma of less value, so the option could be, don't sell the game, sell the right to not see the adverts, you are not buying the game, it is free, you are buying an add free version, for this we can charge a small fee, big user base from a free game, revenue from adverts from this and a percentage who don't like adverts and are fans of the game will opt to have the advert free version, this way we can see a return on games far quicker. Also the large user base from a free game can be brought in to a news letter subscription, so broadening your potential customer base, this could be volunteer, or if you was very ruthless then needed before one is eligible to join up to the free game, though I don't think that's a good idea, volunteer is much better, you could also offer two versions of the game, a free version with adds and a subscription or staggered content version, upgrades extra levels characters etc, could be available for the paid version, with the free version acting more like a permanent trial, eventually the staggered content version if it continued to gain interest and releases would add up to a full game, which would be released as a stand alone product.

So all in all I see that advert generated revenue could have many possibilities to indie developers who do not have the funds for large long term projects that have risk involved with long dev times, using the method I outline development can continue as long as the project is profitable and has a much lower price entry for the developer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:50:15 AM by fallen2 » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 02:55:52 AM »

20 usd seems like a cut point on games, any less and the buyer will believe price is related to perceived value, for 20 usd we have to make a reasonably sized game, this takes time and investment,we want a quicker return on these, we could offer a smaller game, less dev time, quicker return, but it will be charged at less and may have a stigma of less value, so the option could be, don't sell the game, sell the right to not see the adverts, you are not buying the game, it is free, you are buying an add free version, for this we can charge a small fee, big user base from a free game, revenue from adverts from this and a percentage who don't like adverts and are fans of the game will opt to have the advert free version, this way we can see a return on games far quicker. Also the large user base from a free game can be brought in to a news letter subscription, so broadening your potential customer base, this could be volunteer, or if you was very ruthless then needed before one is eligible to join up to the free game, though I don't think that's a good idea, volunteer is much better, you could also offer two versions of the game, a free version with adds and a subscription or staggered content version, upgrades extra levels characters etc, could be available for the paid version, with the free version acting more like a permanent trial, eventually the staggered content version if it continued to gain interest and releases would add up to a full game, which would be released as a stand alone product.

I think this is the hardest paragraph to read in the entire history of the English language. Shocked

Dude, seriously... to be perfectly blunt, I'm starting to sense a trend of you starting business threads where all you do is conjecture wildly on things you obviously have no experience with.  And when people answer the questions you bring up, you ignore them and then raise more nonsense, confusing the discussion completely.  I can barely understand what you're saying half the time, and the conclusions you draw are completely useless.

Case in point:

So all in all I see that advert generated revenue could have many possibilities to indie developers who do not have the funds for large long term projects that have risk involved with long dev times, using the method I outline development can continue as long as the project is profitable and has a much lower price entry for the developer.

So what you're saying is that there are many possibilities for advertising and that, by your method (which is based on zero experience or research), you can continue to work as long as you're making money?  Er... do you see how that is a completely meaningless statement?  You might as well say that air tastes good.

Let me know that you understand what I'm saying.  Otherwise, I'm just going to lock this thread like the last one. Lips Sealed
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:56:40 AM »

Heh! I've always wanted to play Pepsi Man. Feel the hypocrisy!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »

Many developers over at indiegamer.com swear by their mailing lists. Many also will vouch for affiliate sales. Look into the methods. How many ad-supported games do you see? And how many more games that are just selling, and have mailing lists for a repeat audience when the next game comes out, and use affiliate sales to broaden product range and generate traffic?

As Derek says, it seems like you have this idea that ad-driven games will work, and can't be convinced otherwise - so why don't you do it? Report back with your findings.

But yeah, I am not really qualified to judge what does and doesn't work. I can only call it from what I would feel like as a player. Personally, paying to get rid of ads sounds abhorrent to me, like I've lost a battle against a product that was designed to annoy me.

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »

Ok, I play games to run from the boring reality... and what do I see inside? The same ads as in reality. Okay, this makes sense in "reality-based" games, like Second life, GTA, or the like. But never, and I mean NEVER! in abstract, science-fiction or fantasy games...

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »

Ok, I play games to run from the boring reality... and what do I see inside? The same ads as in reality. Okay, this makes sense in "reality-based" games, like Second life, GTA, or the like. But never, and I mean NEVER! in abstract, science-fiction or fantasy games...

"Oh Mr. Frodo! I'm so exhausted..."

"Here, Sam... drink this Coke! It'll give us the strength we need to get to Mordor."

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 12:36:50 AM »

I agree, but I wouldn't mind a Coke ad in a LotR game if it was implemented well. How they would fit Coke to that reality, I have no idea, but I'm sure there's a clever way.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 03:02:00 AM »

I agree, but I wouldn't mind a Coke ad in a LotR game if it was implemented well. How they would fit Coke to that reality, I have no idea, but I'm sure there's a clever way.
"Look Frodo! Artifacts from the future!"
--tchhh--
"Why Sam, it's delicious!"

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 03:32:37 AM »

"Look Frodo! Artifacts from the future!"
--tchhh--
"Why Sam, it's delicious!"

And instead of a can, it'd be in a wooden cup with "Coke" ingraved on it. Then Cocacola could released the same packaging for us to buy! I am a marketing genius! Where's my job, Cocacola? Where!?

Davaris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

I like the idea of adds because it does 3 things.
Free games will always have many more players than paid games.
You don't have to worry about Pirates destroying your income.
You don't have to worry about technical support which is the worst part of being an Indie.

The only difficult part is finding companies who are willing to place adds in your games.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 05:40:59 PM »

"Free games will always have many more players than paid games."

Huh?

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »

Oh god. Please no ads in games.

A good game is about immersion, game flow. Ads just destroy this (for me at least).

I remember looking for a a different MMO then your standard sword and sorcery stuff and found a game called 9 Dragons based in Medieval China. The games concept was good but however, the game itself was not. The thing that was really annoying though is the giant Acclaim logo that appeared at the top of the screen from time to time. In the description of the game I read (written by Acclaim) it said that these in-game advertisements would be only in "unobtrusive" places. I don't know what Acclaim's idea of unobtrusive is but mine sure as hell isn't when I am fighting a friggin' monster and then a giant ACCLAIM logo pops up and totally ruins an already shitty game.

I say just take your time and make YOUR game. Don't let any advertisements spoil the flow of your game. To me, even advertisements in the menu are annoying. And dude, you don't need a ton of money to make a good game, especially a good indie game, all you need is determination and passion in your project.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic