Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 07:45:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesClint Hocking is kind of bad ass
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Clint Hocking is kind of bad ass  (Read 1981 times)
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »

I didn't see the Game Journalist rant at GDC, but Petri linked to Chris Hecker's bit on Twitter... which was fine and all, but during this Chris awarded Clint Hocking the Duct Tape Award and let him say a few words. The best part was:

"I thought we were going to learn something from the people who were making these independent games that were challenging the way we thought about games. A year later I think they've learned way more from us than we've learned from them, and they're kicking our asses. So if you like making triple-A games, it's not a fucking joke. You better fucking learn from these guys because they're going to decimate us. Badly. And you won't be making triple-A games anymore because you'll be out of business."

Not really related to game journalism, but pretty awesome nonetheless, yeah?

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Corpus
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »

That is some mighty fine quotation material. This guy sounds interesting! I'll have to watch the rant Smiley
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

When are all the GDC/IGF videos going to be available?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »

Ugh, probably not forever.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »

It's a nice thing for him to say but I don't agree with it. I don't think indies have adopted very many game design strategies, tropes or whatever from big game business really, and I think that indie games really are making people think differently about games in a way that big game biz is and can not. But for me it's nice that people high up at places like Ubi are starting to feel inadequate like this: it's a good validation for making games the way one feels they should be made.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

He definitely talks like one. I attended his rant last year (for which he won that duct-tape award) and it definitely deserves the recognition awarded. However, it all kind of back around for me when his team released Far Cry 2 which basically had nothing in it from what he preached at his rant. Maybe he just rants to get other people (like us) to take the risks, I dunno... Kudos to him for being vocal about it, but practice what you preach. no?

progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »

Well obviously he needs to go indie. It can be difficult to do those difficult things he's challenging people to do in his talks at a large company like that.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:08:56 PM »

I've been trying to find an appropriate thread to contribute this to, this one will have to do. For those of you who weren't there, here's the mega64 introduction to the IGF

It certainly made me laugh, and is mildly related to the topic of the thread.
progrium
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »

Terribly appropriate. I loved that clip.

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »

The music video was awesome too.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:53 AM »

Video of hocking's mini rant is included in the youtube video of hecker's rant, which I saw here: http://chrishecker.com/Do_Your_Job_Well%2C_Please

I do wish he'd elaborated a bit on what exactly indie is learning from mainstream ...

aeiowu -- I think maybe he tried stuff with far cry 2 and it didn't work out like he'd expected?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic