Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:25:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhy Hello! Welcome to the Delta Odyssey [Image Heavy]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Why Hello! Welcome to the Delta Odyssey [Image Heavy]  (Read 25361 times)
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:05:50 PM »

Hey everyone. I'm new here, been lurking for about a month or so. My name's Scott, and I am big into art and games, thus my appeal for this place is quite big.

I'll save more introductions for later, what I wanted to get right down to, was something of a game concept I've been working on, on and off. I'm calling it the Delta Odyssey for now, unless a new title that I like more comes to mind, but yeah. I'm refraining from putting this in the Feedback section since I have NO working demo, or any programming done at this point, it's all still VERY conceptual. I do intend to continue work on this (slowly but surely) for however long it takes to gather enough substance to work with and create a workable game type thing... Right now my programming knowledge is really limited, so I've avoided trying to code anything. My attempts in GMaker were pathetic at best, and I don't know any advanced languages. I've been far more focused on story and character interactions and relations etc. Y'know, the meat of this thing.

The game itself would either be some sort of exploration/adventure-RPG kinda game, but I've yet to decide anything on how gameplay would pan out. I don't really want battling to be a primary aspect of the game. I would prefer it to feel more like an interactive movie, where story is the main goal. No grinding would ever have to be done in this game, and fighting would be a secondary aspect of the game at this point.

So without futher ado, I will present to you what I DO have, and that is concept drawings and a couple very rough mockups:

This is the main character, who is simply named "The Boy" at this point. The game would revolve around him travelling his world in search of an identity. He has no memory of who he is, or whether or not he was ever alive, just that he is. He just wakes up in a strange world as a blank slate. He is incapable of speech, and we only ever hear from him through internal monologue. Mr. Trianglehead and the Amorphous are the only ones who seem to be able to communicate with him directly. I won't go into it much, since I don't want to spoil what I DO have about him, and also because it's all viable to change.

This is Mr. Trianglehead. He is the first person to greet The Boy when he wakes up, and introduces himself as an overseer and god of the world in which he woke up into. He plays a sort of side role, in that he's moreso passively mentioned in the story, and not a direct source of any plot formation in anything more than what develops his character. He's a neutral sort of force in the world. More on that later perhaps...

Next are the Amorphous. They come in two distinct forms, that being negative and positive Amorphous:

An example of a negative one:

Positive:

Let me start by saying that they are most definitely polar opposites in every way, thus the + and - . The +'ve are the creators of the land, they have the ability to control how things grow, cloud formation, ocean formation etc. Inversely so, the -'ve Amorphous have the ability to take that all away. Creator and Destroyer, all that good stuff. Again, there are things I have planned for these characters, but it would just ruin the fun to blurt it all out now.

This is another little guy simply called Spherebirddue to his obvious shape. Getting the hang of my clever names? Yeah, I'm real good at naming stuff. Anyways, he follows The Boy seemingly wherever he goes. And also seems to sometimes voice what The Boy is thinking at the time (yah, the bird can talk too. Think Jiminee Cricket). Thats about all for that, haven't fleshed this little guy out much yet.

Now onto some newer stuff, some of those pictures were really outdated.

NOTE: Some of this has been changed since, but that file is on another computer I can't get at right now.

Ok, so there's A LOT going on in this picture that I can explain.

First I'll deal with the three new characters you see there. The guy on the far left is known only as The Traveller right now, I will give him a real name when I find something symbolic and fitting. But he is an anomoly in the world in that he is actually comprised of parts of both the + and - Amorphous, as well as being partly human. This puts him in a similar boat as The Boy, except that he is tormented by his lack of a definable identity, which is the reason he is also trekking across the world. This hybrid type person does have some benefits to being such. For one he has slight control over the same things the other Amorphous do, but to a very small degree, so that makes him a bit of a shapeshifter or chameleon, and some other cool stuff I'm gonna make up as I go along.

The girl (who I will also name) is only known as The Heart right now, until I again, find a symbolic name to match what I want her to be. But she is like the love interest of the game, except that it's not a typical love interest per se, but I'll leave it at that she is very closely connected to The Boy in a very important way. That's all for her now. She'll be found in a snowy village or something, thus the coat. That's not made up, I actually will be including that.

Last are those cloaked guys who are the Delta Patrons and they are like the religion of this world, except they are not an overt religion in that the do not do any recruiting. It's a very reclusive kind of religion. One important thing to note is that they HAVE made contact with Mr. Trianglehead on a fairly regular basis, and thus they are not in need of spreading faith to others, they are simply facilitators of Mr. Trianglehead's will. I'm getting tired of typing so I'll leave it at that.

Ok, on to what I would call my greatest breakthrough in devising this whole story. The world map: Unlike most games where the entire thing is visible from the start. In this case, everything is shrouded in complete black. Sound familiar? Probably, which is why there's more. The unique fact here, is that the black is actually an integral part of the world, and not simply a game mechanic for revealing the world. In one way you can think that the parts of the world in darkness DO NOT EXIST until they are uncovered. The darkness is alive and a pivotal part of the story. As you progress through the story, more of the world is "revealed". Anyways, I won't get into detail, since I already feel like I'm saying too much.

So that's basically all the visual stuff I have. I have more concept sketches and whatnot, but this is big enough as it is.

Here are a few (very rough) mockups I made to give myself an idea of how I want things to look, and just to test how the hero sprite looked in an environment. Not 100% on whether or not I even want to pixel the environments at all. All I know is that I want them to be pre-rendered, not made with tiles. So a drawn style may work better. OH YEAH, and I want it to kind of have a painted feel, like acrylic and shit:

And just one more quick one, a concept for another environment I have in mind, this is a bit old now...:

So there you have it, my mammoth sized idea. As you can tell I have a lot to work with, but I know it's highly ambitious, and with my limited coding knowledge, I'd need to find people to work with me at this point. And since I know of no one who's interested, it's going to stay conceptual until I can get tighter graphics.

What are your thoughts, I know it's an overwhelming amount of shit to process, but please try. This is my baby.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »

The character art looks really nice, I like it a lot. The mockups seem a little strange to me though...

As for the programming, if you have the game planned out well enough, you may be able to find a programmer to work with. But you have to make sure that your game has a realistic goal. If your idea is just some dream idea that you never thought about realisticly, you are probably not going to be able to finish it. I'm assuming that you do not have very much game making experience at the moment, so your game might not turn out as you plan. It is usually not a good idea to take on such a big project as your first attempt at making a game, but if you have everything planned out and you are pretty confident that you are able to do this, then go for it. If not, it might be a good idea to put the idea on the shelf for a little while until you are ready for it.

Again, great artwork! Keep us posted with updates!

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »

Yeah, my only other attempts at games have been using things such as RPG maker and those sorts of things. I've debated dropping this before, since I know it's unrealistic at the moment, but as said, I'm obsessed with this on a story-based level. In other words I really want to make a good story for this. That's why I put it in the Art forum, since that's all it is right now, is art, and nothing more.

I have also considering doing something like a little platformer as warmup to see what I could realistically accomplish on my own, but I haven't come up with any good ideas thus far for something like that.

So I guess consider my plea for a programmer to be something in the very distant future. I'm more concerned with plot and stuff right now anyways. This is definitely an unrealistic project as it stands. But yeah, I'll keep people updated on how it comes along.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »

Awesome! These sprites are great and I'm digging the overall aesthetic of the whole project (which kinda screams "indie comics" to me).
I love hearing people talk about their dream projects when they're really into it like this and have already done some art and stuff for it.

I agree with what HandCraftedRadio is saying about finding a programmer. Heck, you could probably even find someone on this forum who would help you with programming.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »

So far I love much of what you told us about your concept. It reminds me a bit of the Grim Fandango/Psychonauts style of games that were very inteligent and unique. You know, the kind that don't make money in the mainstream anymore. Because it seems console gamers are mostly of the "dur I push buttons and peoplez die" variety, to kind-of quote Yahtzee.

I'm a sucker for character design and I love yours. Each character is unique and makes me want to find out more about them. I can imagine the landscape and world design of this to take on a sort of bizzare route. And the main character is pretty loveable, which is always a plus.

One concept that makes me think is the whole world building itself as you explore it thing. Maybe you got that idea out of quantum physics theories? Either way, it's an interesting concept that could lead to a ton of mind-bending plot segments and musings on the nature of reality.

Your focus right now should be to solidify your ideas and the way you want your game to look like and be played. Then get in contact with experienced coders and see with them what can be done with that, or who would be willing to help you achieve your vision. You could do it like Derek, work on the artistic aspects while your partner does the heavy coding.

This definitely looks like the kind of game that would have public in the indie community, and maybe on one of the download networks of consoles, but I think it`s mostly a kind of game for nerdy indie gamers, like me and most people around here.  Tongue

Best of luck.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

The way I see it, is being played out in an Alice in Wonderland esque way. Very surreal, physics and logic don't necessarily apply here.

But yeah, I would say this is still in the larval stages. I only just started getting serious about pulling all this into one concise game/story about just under a year ago. So right now, I've got what I would consider the start of a solid character development, and now I'm working on how everything would interact.

Animation has been my downfall in time-wasting, I've been working on the character's full walk cycle, which is difficult to say the least.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:07:48 PM by Mr. Trianglehead » Logged
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »

Animation should definitely be something to refrain from doing right now. From the looks of it you don't exactly know how the game will work, and even character designs tend to change during development of any concept, so all your animations may turn out to be completely useless. If you need a few for mockups, go ahead, but I'd focus on the concepts for now.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 04:01:06 PM »

This looks like a really interesting project! I wish you the best of luck with it Smiley

(By the way, if at some point in the future you need a programmer, let me know. I've love to collaborate with a good artist (like yourself, heh). Feel free to gimme a PM if you wanna see some of my past work.)

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »

I detect extreme levels of awesomeness emanating from this project. Maybe you should stop before the whole world is engulfed in a deadly but seriously awesome wave of awesomeness.

:D

I like the setting and characters and art very much - and that's all you've presented so far, hahaha. I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but I wish you good luck and am looking forward to updates  Wink
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »

Whoa. This looks and sounds (conceptually, though thanks to the stuff you provided you can sort of hear it, too) fantastic! Really like the idea of your knowledge creating the world around you. Hopefully that would have some impact an gameplay too. Mmm, Yummy.

Sadly, I can't provide you with any assistance other than saying that I'll be following this rabidly, checking back daily for updates and such. Like Fez.

Also! Love the liquid look everything seems to have. All the best, Go For Broke.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:08:52 PM »

Shocked Hot damn, this looks awesome... and I'd love to work on it too, if I wasn't super busy.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »

Last thing from me and then I'll stop bumping this so frequently. I've just been working like crazy on this for the past week, so I'm getting a lot added right now:

Couple new characters, one is another main character, I need to flesh him out still, but I have an idea of how he will tie in. The other character, with the flared pants and spiky hair will be the people who inhabit that hill mockup shown, with the cave on it and stuff. Basically, these people are your typical 'mole person' archetype, in that their eyes have adjusted to the dim light of underground (although they filter in a vast amount of light from the surface using huge skylights and stuff), thus they wear very thick sunglasses when coming to the surface. They also have developed stronger arms needed to dig through the bedrock. They are not shunned or anything as underground cultures usually are in stories, they simply chose underground instead of above ground. They are very civilized and humble, and highly advanced. Think underground steampunk town. The town by the way... is name Undergo as of right now.

Again, The Boy, new guy who I just called Pilot for now cuz he looks like a pilot, and Mr. Trianglehead. Oh,and the spherebird and littlebird, which are kinda just your typical bird, except that their beak is far too big for their body. Yeah.

At last, the piece de resistence. Worked a lot harder on this than on the other pictures. This is my concept drawing of Delta Island, which is where the SOLE Delta  Chapel is located, along with the Delta Patrons. Very triangular that place. Also, this is one of the few places where I actually have a good idea of how the plot would go for this area, so needless to say, it's far clearer in my mind than most places. Catacombs and such, all good stuff.

Well, that's it for me for tonight, I think I've swamped this board enough for a first day here.

Thanks again for all taking a look and giving the kind words and suggestions of where to focus my energies right now. Expect more as it develops!!
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »

This is all looking really good. I know you say that you don't really want to think about programming yet but if you keep teasing us like this, you might have mob on your hands. Fair warning. Tongue
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 07:42:38 PM »

Do I see Boss Goggles in that concept art? I love Boss Goggles! Also lovin' Mr. Trianglehead. Fausty.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »

This is so very AWESOME. :D

It is great to see that you've put so much love into it. If you run into any hard times during the game development process (and you probably will), that love should help you get through them.

SWEET LOVE.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »

Little mockup of a scene I conceptualized today. A little bit makeshift, but I think it's going to be a kickass little event if it comes to fruition.

I'm going to start writing some actual dialogue and storyline, solidify the beginning of my story (which is the most clear in my mind right now) and yeah, add some more depth to my current characters. Expect some of that later. When I get a chance... :\
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:35:17 PM by Mr. Trianglehead » Logged
Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 11:29:27 PM »

dude, very nice.  i love seeing this kinda stuff.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »

This looks really excellent! The art style is awesome. I hope you keep the plot and exposition nicely understated, because I think surrealism is a fairly fragile thing when it comes to plot development.

I would totally agree to help out on the programming side, under normal circumstances, but it turns out that I barely have enough time to keep from failing out of my program at school, as it is, so I'll just have to wish you luck!

And if you run out of inspiration, I recommend reading some Haruki Murakami and staring at Dali paintings for a while.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

Dude, Dali is my main man! I've studied, recreated works and idolized that man. I even made a point of watching his film from way back when. I've got like 4 of his works as posters on my wall. The Dali influence is definitely there.

But yeah, I know how you feel about school work. I'm in second year university, and finding a lot of time to focus on this project is pretty hard at times. Like today, I have 9 hours of class!!!

Still managed to write out some thoughts for this anyways. I'll try to get a little bit going on gameplay in a bit, I'm starting to progress story-wise enough to warrant a little attention there. Thanks for the comments everyone!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »

Surrealism is hard to pull off. The hardest is when you give the surreal plot coherence at some point, in which most stories start to break down. Like a horror movie starts sucking when you finally can see the monster.

You should check the fucked-up animes thread. You might be interested in watching Cat Soup. Also, I'm going to post there a link to a Youtube playlist of Angel's Egg, which is also very symbolic, surreal, and beautiful. Serial Experiments Lain is another crazy-ass story (though with a different, high-tech focus), that suffers from the 'it starts sucking a bit when you know the plot' syndrome.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic