Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:27:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhy Hello! Welcome to the Delta Odyssey [Image Heavy]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Why Hello! Welcome to the Delta Odyssey [Image Heavy]  (Read 25358 times)
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »

I like the thread, but I have to say that both the colour and the depth (they're related) in the 'old' image are much better. Even the composition is much more dynamic (the cropping of the tree, the black grass(?) at the bottom right and the shape of the ground (how it exits 3 instead of 2 sides of the picture plane)).

But maybe its just me?
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »

I like the thread, but I have to say that both the colour and the depth (they're related) in the 'old' image are much better. Even the composition is much more dynamic (the cropping of the tree, the black grass(?) at the bottom right and the shape of the ground (how it exits 3 instead of 2 sides of the picture plane)).

But maybe its just me?

I can definitely say that the "black grass" will most definitely be in the picture when it's 100% done. That black grass is of utmost importance to the story, so fret not, I haven't cut it out or anything. Right now i'd put it at a solid 65-75% done, there's a lot of work that can be done to this scene. I'll keep in mind the cropping thing though. Good point.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 11:43:36 PM »

I much prefer the new colours. Add in the black stuff in the corner and maybe work in some texture in the grass and it'll look awesome!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »

Is this more to people's liking?

This is basically what the opening scene will look like, with some tweaks to clean up the rough edges. Now that I have this, I need to move on for now and work on some new areas of story. This might not come for a while, midterm season is upon me, and I can't afford to do shitty.

New developments eventually.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:12:28 PM by Mr. Trianglehead » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 01:08:14 AM »

That image is all warm and fuzzy. Skull-Boy looks like he needs a hug. Will there be a "hug" option in-game?
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 06:45:48 AM »

That image is all warm and fuzzy. Skull-Boy looks like he needs a hug. Will there be a "hug" option in-game?

He's asleep, not sad. He has no eyelids though, so you can't actually tell until it's put into context by dialogue.

He'll get plenty of hugs I'm sure.
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 07:44:49 AM »

Looks good.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 02:17:53 AM »

I think the latest shot is an improvement, yes!

Also, you must make this game.

Really! Your art is wonderful.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »

Oh, Asleep. That's good.

Must be hard without eyelids.

This Game, We do want.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2007, 01:14:30 PM »

So... any news? Smiley
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »

Yeah, I've been lurking around this thread, also been fairly busy lately... It seems so interesting but since I had nothing useful to say I just kept drooling at the concepts and images... But now, the time has come forth to:

B-B-B-B-BUMP! :3 (hope this is not a rule offense, I think not, but I might be wrong Tongue)

Any progress made on this? It's VERY promising (no shit Sherlock, like I'm the first telling you that)

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2007, 11:27:51 AM »

Well, I've made a lot of little thumbnails for concepts of environments and story-like items, but no formal graphics have been done.

I'm also right in the midst of a huge work grind at school, what with essays to do, and exams in about 2 weeks. School has been taking up the majority of my time, and I've also started working on a second game idea which I have fleshed out more gameplay-wise, so I've been trying to get graphics down for that so I can try my hand at coding.

Over Christmas holidays, the amount of time I have should be greater, and I should be  able to get a good chunk of work done (I've got 3 weeks off before school starts up again, which is a world of time).

I'll post some thumbnails later to prove I'm not being a sloth on this. For now, schoolwork.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Bump.

THE WORLD WANTS TO KNOW, SCOTT!
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »

Bump.

THE WORLD WANTS TO KNOW, SCOTT!

I've hit a lull, it's the sad, and unfortunately predicted and expected, fate this undertaking would see. My lack of experience/time/ideas has caused this to fall out of priority for me. Trying to manage all the different endeavors I have at the moment is stressful enough. The fact that I have no programming knowledge either kind of reduces this to story-only concept. I think about it time and time again, but the story is stuck at where my mind has taken it. I know how it starts, how it essentially ends, why things are happening, but pulling at all together into a cohesive "game" is something which is beyond my capacity.

I bit off more than I could chew and showed this far too prematurely. I'm out of my league tbh

Pretty much, if this ever got off the ground, it'll be in like 10 years when i have everything hammered out story-wise and what have you. This is in such an undeveloped state it hurts.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:24:39 PM by Mr. Trianglehead » Logged
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 08:38:12 PM »

I bit off more than I could chew and showed this far too prematurely. I'm out of my league tbh

I'm sorry it's come to this.  BUT it's a lesson we all have to learn at some point, and if you start chewing on smaller ideas and finish them, I believe you can build to a point where you can make this game (perhaps with contacts you've made on the way).  You'll learn with failed and successful games how to plan a project like this and what some good ways are to pull it all together into a cohesive experience.

In the meantime, your art really is inspiring, and I look forward to what you do go on to make.  Maybe if you start with simple ideas in something easy to pick up like Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, or AGS, you can build the experience and contacts needed to make something larger in the future.  Thank you for the visual inspiration.

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »

I'm sorry it's come to this.  BUT it's a lesson we all have to learn at some point, and if you start chewing on smaller ideas and finish them, I believe you can build to a point where you can make this game (perhaps with contacts you've made on the way).  You'll learn with failed and successful games how to plan a project like this and what some good ways are to pull it all together into a cohesive experience.

In the meantime, your art really is inspiring, and I look forward to what you do go on to make.  Maybe if you start with simple ideas in something easy to pick up like Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, or AGS, you can build the experience and contacts needed to make something larger in the future.  Thank you for the visual inspiration.

I'm trying to do something like that, I managed to make like the most basic microgame ever back around halloween. Trying to figure out simple platformer basics in Gamemaker, but I can barely even get my guy to move and jump properly. I have zero coding knowledge, which kinda makes everything a shot in the dark. Right now I'm making some really simple graphics to work with, with no actual project in mind, to try and see what my tinkering can accomplish. I figure I should get a grasp on moving characters around before anything.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »

This question isn't exactly in the spirit of TIGSource, but...
Why don't you make it a comic?
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »

Haha, not to spam the boards with more self-loathing, but:

Every aspect of it essentially comes down to lack of integrity/experience/time. I'm currently in Undergrad university, none of which is relevant to game-making OR art for that matter really, which kind of limits all my work to being done in my free time and on the limited knowledge I gather from visiting art forums and high school.

I wouldn't say I've given up on this concept, since I still draw things out that I think would be cool for it, or try and think of things to add, but essentially (frig, I feel like a broken record now) I need to improve on my artistic skills both traditionally and digitally first if I ever plan to build this story/idea/concept up efficiently and to the quality I'd want it to be.

I feel like I'm spamming this place up with a fake game concept. Take it solely for the visual now, this won't ever get made into a game considering my current ability. Thanks for supporting me though, I really really appreciate it. Maybe one day, 10 years down the line this'll be something. If this place is still around I'll be sure to let everyone in on it then, when it's real Tongue
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »

Haha, not to spam the boards with more self-loathing, but:

Every aspect of it essentially comes down to lack of integrity/experience/time. I'm currently in Undergrad university, none of which is relevant to game-making OR art for that matter really, which kind of limits all my work to being done in my free time and on the limited knowledge I gather from visiting art forums and high school.

I wouldn't say I've given up on this concept, since I still draw things out that I think would be cool for it, or try and think of things to add, but essentially (frig, I feel like a broken record now) I need to improve on my artistic skills both traditionally and digitally first if I ever plan to build this story/idea/concept up efficiently and to the quality I'd want it to be.

I feel like I'm spamming this place up with a fake game concept. Take it solely for the visual now, this won't ever get made into a game considering my current ability. Thanks for supporting me though, I really really appreciate it. Maybe one day, 10 years down the line this'll be something. If this place is still around I'll be sure to let everyone in on it then, when it's real Tongue

Not to pander but what you have visually is superb now.  Forget ten years down the line.

Since you have no time for the actual development, maybe you could take on a team.  If you're stuck, maybe what's needed is a fresh perspective from the outside.  Share your story with people you trust, get them to help fill in the blanks.  You'd still retain creative control over what gets the final cut. 

Finding a coder shouldn't be too difficult considering this project looks amazing.  If I had the skills to code in something other than Multimedia Fusion, I'd jump at the chance.

This would leave you freed up to do the art direction and design.  It would take a lot of the burden off your shoulders.  The main selling point for this game is the story arc and the art, and you seem to have that covered pretty well.  Don't let this idea go to waste simply because you're bogged down with the details.  It would be a terrible shame.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic