Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:34:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Practice Workshop Thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Practice Workshop Thread  (Read 820 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »

WELCOME TO THE PRACTICE WORKSHOP THREAD

Hand Thumbs Up Left The perfect thread to practice your technical skills! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hello and welcome to all TIGForums users! You may be asking yourself some serious questions right now, like "ProgramGamer, what is this thread about, you usually just post bad memes and talk about useless semantics" and "Why are you trying to rejuvenate this forum, this is not a healthy thing to do. I'm starting to think you might be delusional...". And you would be right to ask these questions! But before I decide to completely ignore these very valid "concerns", I'm going to explain exactly and in great detail what this thread is about!

As a programmer, I often find myself wanting to start a cool project or test out a new idea to see if it works. But, because I don't really have that much practice under my belt, I usually end up looking at a lot of documentation and stuff, which drives both my productivity and my morale down the drain along with any hope of finishing a project. Which is why I've decided to start a little event here on the forum!

Basically, every day or so, I'm going to be posting small programming exercises for you to attempt. These are not going to be very big of course; they'll probably go along the lines of "Make a Hello World program in a tool you've never used before" or "implement a program that can calculate the initial speed of a jump by feeding it height and gravity values", you know, things that help you practice basic logic and programming skills. The point of all this is that when you finally decide to make something, you're not going to feel all rusty and useless.

Sometimes these exercises are going to be disparate, without any real continuity between them. But, other times, they're going to focus on a bigger and more useful skill that you will learn by doing the exercises sequentially! These will generally only span a week, so that if you find yourself unable to complete the assignment for a day, you're not completely screwed for the rest of forever.

Posting your results in this thread is going to be heavily encouraged along with the source code/project file that you created to follow along. That way, you can compare your implementation with other peoples', which will make you quite a lot wiser. I also hope that it will encourage you to complete your entries more often, as the point of the thread is to practice a skill which is essential to nearly every indie dev out there. So get ready to improve, because the first exercise is going to be posted soontm!

In the meantime, I would like anyone who is interested to post their tool/engine of choice so that I can do some research on what I can ask you to do as an exercise or not. I promise that this will be very helpful to me!

Anyways, I hope that this will be helpful to people. Looking forward to this!  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right

-ProgramGamer

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »

I think this is a cool idea! I really don't like the programming exercises you chose though. I want programming that makes me learn a little. Hello World projects don't really appeal to me. Maybe if you told me to learn something a little more complex like make a shader that turns a sphere red or something I'd be more interested.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »

Cool! let's implement quickhull3d in unity  Hand Fork Left Evil  Hand Knife Right
http://box2d.org/files/GDC2014/DirkGregorius_ImplementingQuickHull.pdf
 Coffee

/devil

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:21:05 AM »

Well, the general idea was to propose something that one could do in a day regardless of skill level, but maybe we could have skill tiers for different levels of skills or something.

I would also prefer for my exercises to not require reading a 100+ pages pdf lol

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »

image and sequence o image is tbulk of it, it's not really 100pdf, But yeah I'm stuggling to implement it because some concept are kind of ill defined and not as trivial as shown. Also many points of knowledge was things I was supposed to see later (such as half edge in graph analysis) and not that early.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:10:12 AM »

Coincidentally I've started a small project practicing really simple image manipulations. My focus is to do it first without any research then go back after reading up on it to see how far off I was.

It's been pretty fun so far. I'm doing it in C and using stb_image/stb_image_write for loading and saving.

That might be fun. An example would be flipping and image or converting to greyscale.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic