Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:46:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArcher V2
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Archer V2  (Read 5336 times)
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »

good to see this back

glad to be back.

Holy cow, how long has it been? Hype

one thousand years
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:55:40 AM by gabev » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »

Hah, I remember the original Archer. Is there going to be some sort of overarching story that trumps the butterfly vs. moth conflict, or is that the basis for the game?

The gameplay looks pretty solid, so far.

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 12:55:12 AM »

Added another kind of water object which can get blocked by moving platforms. If I put it with an orbiting platform it makes it look like a waterwheel, which is neat.

After I finish mounts and the rest of the smaller moth enemies, I'd like to spend some time designing areas that are interesting in and of themselves without thinking at all about enemy encounters until after. It's one of the things I find cool about Dark Souls level design and I want to give that method a try. I'm thinking of some kind of sewer area with lots of waterfalls that will interrupt fire arrows. Or maybe some kind of canopy where rainwater collects on leaves and falls down.

Waterwheel and orbit platform testing.

I wasn't planning to get to this till tomorrow but I actually managed to get the first parts of mounts done before packing it in. Still a lot to do on them - dealing with death of mount or rider, fixing context interact stuff while mounted, preventing rider's projectiles colliding with mount, etc.

Riding test.

Hah, I remember the original Archer. Is there going to be some sort of overarching story that trumps the butterfly vs. moth conflict, or is that the basis for the game?

The gameplay looks pretty solid, so far.

thanks. yeah, i'm imagining a larger war of which the butterfly-moth conflict is only a small part, but nothing is set in stone. at the moment they are just excuses for top-down enemy design.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:11:20 AM by gabev » Logged
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 03:45:21 AM »

Holy crap, good to see you and this game back :D. I was thinking about this the other day
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:07:17 AM by Kinaetron » Logged

Life sucks and then you die.
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 06:43:45 AM »

Duuude...where ya been? This project is so cool. Glad you're back  Smiley

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 02:34:14 AM »

Started working on the area I was talking about yesterday. Even though I went into it not thinking about enemy encounters at all and just trying to design an area that is fun to navigate, I ended up with some notes about where enemies could go. I like this design style and plan to continue with it tomorrow.

Started a new area.

On the programming front I improved dynamic waterfalls a bit, allowing them to fall according to gravity rather than instantly snap into their original height after the platform stops colliding. I also fixed a few small issues with moving platforms.

Improved waterfalls.

I started working on shieldmoths as well. I managed to get their basic behaviour in and started working on the mothdust clouds they spawn which slow down projectiles that collide with them. Still need to clean up a few issues with the code and tweak their behaviour a bit.

Shieldmoth testing.

Holy crap, good to see you and this game back :D. I was thinking about this the other day

Duuude...where ya been? This project is so cool. Glad you're back  Smiley

thank you. good to be back.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:10:31 AM by gabev » Logged
ACardboardRobot
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 03:32:04 AM »

Great to see this back. You've moved on from using Gamemaker then have you?
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »

I did some more work on the area I started yesterday and also started a new area with the same zone theme, but with rotating moving platforms as the central thing.

Fleshed out the forest area a bit.

As a result of doing the new level I ended up improving the moving platforms. The was an issue with the pixel perfect movement that caused the momentum transfered to actors when they left the platform to be a bit inconsistent so I fixed that. I also added some different options for rotating so I could do conveyor belt elevator type constructions with platforms.

Rotating platform testing.

Great to see this back. You've moved on from using Gamemaker then have you?
nope lol, still using game maker.
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »

Another fan of the old version here, this is exciting news. Following.

caiys
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 03:45:56 AM »

nice

godspeed
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 09:44:53 AM »

Feeling bad and tired today but I managed to do some more work on moving platforms. Made them work better with ledge grabbing, push actors properly instead of overlapping with them, and a few other small improvements.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:07:20 AM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 02:34:10 PM »

Spent the last few days working on a side project but I'm back to this now.

Fleshed out the second canopy level a bit more. As a result I found a couple of bugs in the moving platform code which I sorted out.

Fleshed out this area a bit more.

I added in bouncy mushrooms, which feel like a bit of a cliche videogame trope, but I think they actually play well with the archery/shooting mechanics so I'll give them a try. I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can use them in ways that are fun without overdoing it.

Bouncy mushroom testing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:42:30 PM by gabev » Logged
TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »

What do you use for the ai, behavior trees?

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

What do you use for the ai, behavior trees?

i will probably want to implement a more advanced tree system later, but at the moment it's just a couple layered state machines doing simple player chasing stuff.
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 04:03:50 PM »

This looks rad! Really love the butterfly/moth theme. The death/reincarnation symbolism, as well as the spirituality associated with those insects makes for some super interesting narrative and lore potential! Plus the physics based archery combat looks real fun! Can't wait to see more!

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »

What are using to make this?

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »

This looks rad! Really love the butterfly/moth theme. The death/reincarnation symbolism, as well as the spirituality associated with those insects makes for some super interesting narrative and lore potential! Plus the physics based archery combat looks real fun! Can't wait to see more!

thanks! i've been following your devlog as well and i really like what you have going on. lots of great art and style.

What are using to make this?

game maker studio.
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »

thanks! i've been following your devlog as well and i really like what you have going on. lots of great art and style.
Ah, cheers man! Glad to hear it Smiley

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »

Spent most of today trying to fix something an issue that had popped up causing the reflect/deflect blocks to stop working. Turned out it was just because I changed arrows to inherit from the missile class and forgot the code relevant to this issue existed.

Besides that I worked on some levels with mushrooms and began tackling some bigger and more elaborate areas in what I'm calling the Teleport Temple (development name). I also realized that I could use moving crush blocks as a thematic hazard here, because you'll be teleporting to a lot of walls and platforms and they'll make the timing important.

A couple of new levels I started.
TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 07:31:41 PM »

game maker studio.

That's pretty cool. Looking at your log, you seem very experienced.Do you have a background in programming or game development??

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic