Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:48:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)And for my first post....
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: And for my first post....  (Read 742 times)
SynPDX
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »

Hey everyone... I'm hoping to become a regular here and make a few new friends. I'm very new to pixel art, as a matter of fact, I've never drawn anything, well for decades at least.

I'm a product of the 16 bit generation.... Sure I had the Atari 2600 when I was really young, but when Nintendo came out with the NES, I was nine years old. When the Super Nintendo came out, I had both the Super NES as well as the Sega Genesis. This was my time! The time of Altered Beast, and Super Mario World! Best generation EVER!

I have been interested in game development ever since. In my "adult" life, I'm a desktop virtualization engineer (Citrix XenDesktop, and VMware Horizon View). I've always made the excuse that I don't have time to learn this stuff. I'm 38 years old now, and damnit, I'm making time!

I want to become a pixel artist, and I want to create my own platform game. I have some C# experience, not the most but I can get around. I have a little Unity experience, not the most but I can get around..... I have no pixel art experience.

So let's be friends? =) add my on google hangouts if you are a noob, or a more experienced person that wants to mentor =)

My setup:

1. Purchased Cosmigo Pro Motion
2. Purchased a Wacom Intuos Comic

My first (of many) question(s) is hopefully simple.

I am thinking I want a resolution of 480 x 270 (1:4 of 1080P). I have created my first small piece of pixel art. When saving this piece of art, it saves with a ratio of 1:1. However, since my game will be a 480x270 resolution, saving art as 1:1 looks too small. How would I save a .png with a ratio of 1:4, so that when viewing the art with Windows photo viewer, or emailing the piece to a friend, it looks as it would in the game?

Thanks all, and I hope to get to know a few of you a bit closer...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:26:52 PM by SynPDX » Logged
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »

Are you using unity?
The scale of the sprites are usually related to the pixel per unit value. So you make your art 1:1 and then on unity you decide how many pixels will be draw for each unit of the scene.
If you make the ppu = 1, each pixel will be one unit.

The guys at unity made a blog post about this:
blogs.unity3d.com/pt/2015/06/19/pixel-perfect-2d/

If you want to save the sprites already four times their size. Just reescale them.
You'll just have to mind what kind of interpolation the software will use. In photoshop, when reescaling, you can choose an interpolation algorithm. Nearest neighbor interpolation makes the pixel art stay true to it's original size if you always upscale to a factor of 2.
Unfortunately i have never seen Cosmigo Pro Motion, so i can't give you a specific direction on how to rescale the images. But that is a pretty standard feature in any image editing tool.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:00:06 PM by TitoOliveira » Logged

SynPDX
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:08:08 PM »

This helps, and I appreciate the reply!
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »

Yeah, Tito's spot on! You can export the spritesheet "as is" from pro motion, and use unity to scale it up.

BTW, how do you like cosmigo pro motion? I've been considering testing it (currently using Aseprite).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic