Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:43:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Bird
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Bird  (Read 26402 times)
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »

@Zorg
good point! I'll probably add it back in then. unless i think of an interesting way to tie it into the story, where he'll get the effect later.
That's an interesting idea with the color. The screenshot you took that from was old, it looked more like this later

(which was your original suggestion actually!)

So I'll probably go back to that Smiley

@io3 creations
Hmm, i haven't had anyone complain about the visuals like that since finalizing the look. I think probably its most prevalent in the latest gifs because there's no light around ghost bird, and he's also sometimes completely hidden in darkness. I plan for ghost bird to start out with no light attached to him, and eventually he'll get that ability, so I'm playing around with how that would look and feel. since literally every gif and screenshot thus far has had a light attached to the player, it probably looks weird but after playing for yourself i feel like it would be alright. And also when you're the one playing it rather than just looking at a gif, you tend to have more tunnel vision, and also having full control of the character helps.
Also another thing could be the screen warping/bubble effect, which i'll probably have an option to disable since it doesn't really provide that much in terms of visuals. But some people really like it.
Regardless, I'll still keep that in mind!

And yeah good idea with the signature. I was going to do that right after making that post, but couldn't think of where to put it to make it look the best, and eventually forgot. But i guess here is fine haha

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »

Yeah, it might be one of those *strange* things ...

Regarding twitter, if in doubt, do what other do. Grin  If you look at others' signature lines, you'll see quite a few people have added that and other links.  That reminds me, I could add now that I'm about to start a devlog and have some actual posts.  Grin

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »

Hopefully I can do this faster than a "one update per month" thing haha

Anyway, here's some new things.

Light trail re-added:

very nice.

And another cool thing, I added an outline effect to Ghost Bird so you know where you are when hidden in the darkness:

This uses the same technique as the previous posts; the shader detects a specific color and changes it depending on where it is in darkness.

For Ghost Bird's outline, it lerps from the default gray to bright blue based on how far in the shadow you are.

The light trails also have an outline effect, but I've had mixed responses about which one people think looks/fits better.

Here it is without the outlines:

Let me know which one you think is better, or if you have a different suggestion!

Grin

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »

whoaaa, it's coming along greatly!!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2017, 04:10:32 AM »

I like the all outlines version. I wonder how the normal bird would look like with an outline trail.
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »

I wonder how the normal bird would look like with an outline trail.

Good question!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »

Hmm, no. I still like the filled shapes for lighted areas and all outline shapes for shadows.
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »

i think i agree Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »

I kind of prefer the first image but would like if the trail also had a similarish effect to the glittering backgrounds.

Either way, it's still better than the one with only the outline when the bird is moving between the islands.  That seems more odd to me.

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »

I ... would like if the trail also had a similarish effect to the glittering backgrounds.

Here's one with the light trails with an additive blend

That is, if this is what you're talking about.

(i could mess with the colors to make it look a bit better, but the idea is there)

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of distorting the trail i.e. adding similar-ish triangle glow as in the background.  But I actually, do like the latest image you posted.  The trail colors do seem right.

However, seeing the outline only in the dark areas seems like that "something is missing".  Perhaps a darker version of the bird, or at least if the wings were still visible somehow would seem better.  At first I thought that maybe seeing the eyes also might make the bird spooky, but since the title is Ghost Bird, that might be fitting. Grin

Of course, just my opinion. Wink

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »

ohh i see. yeah small lights don't work too well with this lighting system, for example:

(apparently i never posted this one here? hm)

not to say that this looks bad, i like it, but i think it would be too distracting or just wouldn't fit for the bird's trail

Interesting that you like the additive trails, I'm not sure which type i like. though I do know that it will require a bit more work to get additive trails and outlines working, and actually the outlines can't be additive so it will probably look weird. Since the shaders have no way to see the pixels behind any sprite, i need to depend on the builtin additive blend, and if i do that the pixel colors will be wrong (the special ones i use specifically for the shader).

Anyway, yeah the outline on the eye is a good idea too, and was actually originally planned but some friends said it might be just as good without it. i'll try it though!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

Interestingly, I do like that light but agree that the grid size is too large for a small light like that and would also be for the bird's trail.  Probably a grid of half of that or smaller might work. 

Looking at the trails again, it might be a toss up now.  If the bird is closer to a light source, then I prefer the brighter version but at it moves away, I prefer the dimmer one. Grin  S  So, perhaps going with the original one would better for now. 

The "best" look might also depend on all the environments and their colors/brightness as to which one looks better.  That would probably be better for later.

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »

Ooh. I actually really like it when there's just an outline while the bird is in shadow.

It's gonna be a subjective decision regardless. Your time would be better served focusing on gameplay mechanics than tweaking visuals. It's fun, but that's precisely why it'll eat up your dev time! Possibly you could have different areas/items/actors that introduce variety to the effects?

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »

It's gonna be a subjective decision regardless. Your time would be better served focusing on gameplay mechanics than tweaking visuals. It's fun, but that's precisely why it'll eat up your dev time!

You're right, and I guess I've been using this stuff as an excuse to be "productive" while not doing that important stuff haha. I think game design is the toughest part for me; I have an eye for making things look good, and how to programatically achieve those visuals and systems, but when it comes to game elements or level designs, idk. I definitely know I'm capable, but I don't know if I reach my own standards and therefore become discouraged and try to procrastinate on those things. For example, why it took so god damn long to start on a design doc for the world/levels/story structure. and even that I had help from friends.
I've been trying to just jot down a list of puzzle elements in a notebook; things like "beam rocks", "mirrors", "beam targets", and "item that disappears in darkness", etc. I could think of levels that include these elements and it might be ok. But it's taken me 3 days to just write down these like 6 items. In something like a Ludum Dare setting I'd be able to knock this stuff out in less than an hour. It's definitely not from a lack of ideas or foresight, so i really don't know what's stopping me haha. motivation? i have no idea. Maybe it's because these things are less tangible than something strictly visible. Sure I can write about my ideas, but it doesn't have the same appeal as a gif, and I guess I'm all about attention.
Anyway I'll get it done I just need the stars to align per se.
 Smiley

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »

remember that "one post a month" thing i mentioned? haha me neither.

I spent quite a bit of time just brainstorming and coming up with level elements. I wasn't nearly as successful with it as I hoped I would be, and, to my standards, my ideas aren't incredible. but regardless! I made progress.

Here's a sheet with some random notes for possible level elements:

The most difficult part of any of this is just figuring out what I want these elements to visually look like. For the most part these things look alright, but i feel like they could be improved upon. and how they look in my head really changes how I think they should function in-game, and that's the biggest reason why I can't just program things first and worry about art later.
The whole design around the light detector and the tile it sits on is a little iffy. I think the puzzle uses for it are pretty good, but visually they don't convey that instruction too clearly. Or maybe it's actually just a bad puzzle element to begin with.
I'm probably being too hard on myself because It's taken me literally months to settle on this stuff, which is mostly inconsequential design stuff.

Anyway enough whining, here's the light block in-game:

I also added a light boulder. I don't remember why. I'll figure out a target system that relies on different shaped light sources at some point, kinda like how portal 2 has spheres and cubes, and sphere and cube buttons. honestly I can't think of any reason for those to be separated in that game either.. Spheres were a little harder to keep in one place but otherwise, I can't remember.

You may notice I stop for a moment after pushing the block down the slope. That's because if I don't I just walk on top of the block. Also, pushing blocks up slopes its much more annoying because the height of the player's hitbox is less than the width of the box, so it ends up going on your head instead of up on the platform. To remedy this I added a grabbing/carrying system:

(also I recolored the sprites to match the lighting)

The other solution to that problem would be to just have rotating boxes that move along the slope, but I've had this system in mind for a long while so for now I'm just putting this in.

How this system works is actually pretty interesting. First I detect if there's a grabbable object below the player, and if there is and you press the grab button (Z for now), you begin the grabbing event.

Originally, grabbing worked like this:
If you are holding onto a grabbable object, that object's position is constantly set to be below the player, and some values are passed to the player to make its movement different, like lower jump height and preventing movement when on the ground. This is all handled with box2d, and I'm actually pretty surprised that it worked as well as it did and didn't glitch the block through the ground. It would actually stop at the ground and keep the player standing on it, even though its position was being constantly set. It even worked on slopes for the most part. But there was one issue that forced me to use a totally different system: If I moved sideways into a wall with the block, it would clip inside of it.

So I made a new system:
Now when grabbing something, I take all of the collision bodies of that object and add it to the player's collisions, so you're basically now the size of the bird + the object, and I remove collisions for the object and move its sprite around. And when you release an object, the collision body is removed and collision is re-added to the object.

Visual example:

Besides this, I also added a level transition system and effect:

neat and cool

thanks Smiley

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »

This carrying mechanic plays very nicely into the movement physics I made a while ago:

I made 0 changes to the movement code and it works perfectly.

I may still change a few things with how the blocks/boulders interact with tiles, but otherwise it's all good.

Also I added some grass detailing around where the mushrooms are, and changed the mushroom sprites. I think it looks pretty good!

I finalized the design of some things like the light detection orb thing, no more worrying about looks (until the next batch of objects). I think now is just programming them in.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »

I peeked at this game because your avatar on twitter was a bird, and then I tried the jam version of Ghost Bird.

I am only here to say: I love the stranged warped visuals of this game & I really dislike how it looks when your camera reaches the map's edge. It's so jarring. Maybe it's better in the not-jam version, but from gifs it looks like you're treating screen edges about the same.

That is all! bye!!

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »

oh shit thanks a lot for playing!! You're one of my favorite developers :D

I'm glad you like the visuals, but I'm confused about your complaint. Are you talking about the round globe-like warping effect? Here's a gif with the other option for that effect:

The distinction being the effect following the camera vs following the bird.

My decision for this is that the world is warping around ghost bird, rather than like a fish-eyed lens camera. Though porting that to the new version is a bit more ambiguous.

Regardless, the screen warp effect is optional and can be switched off in the menu.

Thanks for checking it out! Smiley

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »

One possibility to avoid the extreme warp on reaching the edge of the map would be to have the bounds actually extend out further, then have a visible wall around the edge of the playable area. The warp would always stay more central to the display and the extreme warp would never occur because it wouldn't be possible to move all the way to the edge of the display.

I'm loving the progress you've made on this since the jam version. The visuals in particular have really come along well. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic