Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:55:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Bird
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Bird  (Read 26718 times)
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »

Here's the full tileset (with some example terrain)

Can I use your tileset as ref?
Also, I'm planning to whip up some fanart for you game in the future, is that okay?

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »

oh! By all means! for both questions :D thanks!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »

Is there a specific rule for the order of the tiles in the tileset?
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 03:54:43 PM »

This looks great! Keep on going, looking forward to seeing it develop further.

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »

zorg, not necessarily. I just picked a layout that compacted nicely. If you're talking about like a map or whatever you can probably just look at the examples to see which tile is which.

sidbarnhoorn, thank you!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »

I was just curious if the order gives you any benefit, programming-wise. It looks nice. Smiley
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

ohh i see. nope it can be any order, it was laid out this way for aesthetic purposes though.

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »

additive lights!

And anti-lights!

Now this is pretty much anything i could think of for lights. Onto the actual game now. Still need to figure that out..

lululuprimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »

Looking beautiful!

Lydia Primate
[email protected]
Game music composer, singer, songwriter, performer
https://soundcloud.com/lydiaprimate1
torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »

thanks a lot!

More stuff: Throwable lights!

Also some crazy colors

I have also reworked the lighting script AGAIN. This time I believe it's just about as optimized as it possibly can be without changing the output, and now runs at full "60" fps.

mmmmm look at that graph. That's what I like to see

Of course this dips into the 30's when I enter my stress-test area of about 20 on-screen light sources. But I highly doubt I'd ever even want that in-game.

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 12:58:31 PM »

New stuff

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »

Next up: Anti-blocks!

Basically blocks you can see outside of the light, but turn invisible when entering a light source. Useful for puzzles and just invisible platforms in general without it being as frustrating for the player.
There can be any shape and texture for these blocks, I just made them solid for testing. But i think like silhouettes of blocks would look really neat (in the same vein as some of the early outside silhouette looks)

With this I may also be able to implement blocks that can only be seen in a certain type of light, like if i hold up the movable light as a sort of viewing device to see blocks only visible with that one item. or maybe different items can see different blocks in the same level
I'll work more on that next!

ArzNova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 03:06:30 AM »

This is really unique looking! The lighting effect is super strange and I love it.

The way the bird controls isn't something I like, though.  Sad  It's not that I couldn't control it - it was very precise - but it was kind of boring to control. And I don't really know how do describe it, which isn't very helpful. But it felt like the movement and jumping did its job and nothing else special. Games with unique movement to me would be like Ori and the Blind Forest, Rayman Origins, or even classics like Donkey Kong Country.

I know that's not terribly helpful, but do you get what I mean? Maybe I'm wrong. Looks great either way! It'll be fun to see where this goes.

Composer / Audio Designer / Animator / Programmer (I do a lot of stuff.)
www.soundcloud.com/lukepena
www.lukepena.org
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 03:51:56 AM »

I love the strange wrap around effect! Can you actually move all the way around the terrain from one side back around again?

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 07:30:12 AM »

ArzNova, I can see what you're saying! If you're talking only about the original Ludum Dare version, I have redone the entire movement and physics of the bird, which I described here (although not very in-depth):

I also reworked the movement and such. Things are a lot more polished, the bird is a bit floatier and slower.

But basically it feels a lot more like a bird. And falls a lot slower. Its hard to get a 'feel' for it by just looking at gifs, I know. If you'd like, PM me somehow and I'll send a test build so you can let me know if you think the movement feels better Smiley
Thanks for following along!

jctwood, Thank you! The warp effect is actually exclusively visual. actually the only outside variable used in the effect is the player position (more specifically, the difference between the camera and player positions), so that it can move the center of the effect with the player.
I only made it like that because the original had all the tiles shift in a slightly similar manner, and I wanted to preserve that. I can easily remove it, or have an option to turn it on and off, since it has basically 0 effect on the game (well, actually it reduces vision slightly in the bottom right and left corners, because they go off-screen, but it's nearly negligible)

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »

What are you creating the game in?

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »

Stencyl!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »

That is wonderful! I really like Stencyl although I had no idea it had any shader capabilities.

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »

they do indeed!
Though it is missing a bit of documentation, such as "uResolution" which is the uniform screen width and height sent to the shader. But I assume just searching for Haxe shader documentation will pull up all you'd need.

I also really like stencyl. It makes a lot of things very easy, but it does make some things more difficult. I enjoy working within its limitations, however, and don't plan to switch any time soon, or at least not with this project. I get people telling me they're glad I'm using stencyl to show off its capabilities!

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »

Raycasting! The beginnings of some fun lightbeam stuff i'm planning :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic